JP Morgan Healthcare Conference - 2013

Fellow monkeys,

I am respectfully seeking a little information on the JP Morgan Healthcare Conference coming up in January in San Francisco. First, as bit of background on me, I am currently an off-cycle intern at a boutique investment bank in their healthcare group. I am targeting any lateral hiring that may occur in the next few months at top ~30 type investment banks. I am hoping that I can take advantage of the gathering of healthcare bankers in the city to do a little networking. It is a short enough trip for me to make from Los Angeles.

Have any of you ever attended? Any thoughts you can share? I was thinking:

I have been reaching out to healthcare bankers to network over the past few months. For those contacts where I have gained a little traction, I plan on reaching out to them again to see if they can meet for coffee/lunch/whatever, although I hear the bankers book as many back-to-back meetings with execs as possible. I'm wondering if they will have any time to spare, but I think it's worth trying either way.

I understand I can't actually get into the JPM conference because I don't work there, but there are various other conferences and networking events around the city that week. Does anyone have a suggestion for other conferences/events in the city that would be worth attending/likely to have some investment bankers in attendance?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Best Response

virtually every bank there will have a cocktail party with a number of reps there.

Reg getting coffee and stuff, it'll be tough. The bankers will be fighting for time with various PE/VC fund MD's and hot company CEO's.

I'm on the buy side so I'm not sure how to best advise you to get in front of them. But I would start e-mailing the ASAP! We're all filling up our calendars before Christmas.

Oh, and by back-to-back-back it's not a joke. People will be doing meetings non-stop wherever they can for the entire conference. I'm supposed to do like 30-40+ meetings that week

last thing - no one really goes to the conference. My entire investment team only buys one pass. You're not missing anything.

"If you want to succeed in this life, you need to understand that duty comes before rights and that responsibility precedes opportunity."

I have to agree with Bambino. The conference is an opportunity for senior bankers to get in front of management and investors to share ideas, gossip, etc. Attempting to disrupt these interactions is one of the most sure-fire ways to piss these bankers off. Any requests to meet will likely be ignored (intentionally and unintentionally). Sad, but its the way the game is played.

What you should do is contact the junior bankers (Associates/Analysts) in the SF offices; some should have some free time on their hands since the MDs aren't there to create work (only slightly joking). Associates especially play a sizable role in hiring at the intern/analyst level (in my experience/observation).

~verum esse ipsum factum~

Bolt:
Bambino and Vico - Thanks for the information. Do analysts or associates come in from out of town for the conference at all? Or is it really only the most senior bankers that make the trip?

For the most part, only senior bankers.

~verum esse ipsum factum~

Dude the likelihood of you pissing off a senior banker is far higher than you getting something meaningful out of it. The entire HC capital markets actvity basically stops for that one week because of the conference...if a senior banker has time to network with an intern...I'd question the legitimacy of that bank. No offense to you at all, but I'm in HC and that whole week is just a giant shit show.

Yea man you have all kinds of VCs, PEs, HFs and private investors attending, it is a very bad idea to network for a sellside job during the event.

However, if you are very interested in healthcare and has nothing to do during that week..... you can go learn about companies/industry and get some name cards then maybe touch base with them few weeks after the conference. Though I am not even sure how you can get registered, we get invitations from sellside desks.

Consequatur ut et eligendi optio dignissimos quibusdam odit est. Quis officiis tenetur nam vero. Suscipit a est optio maiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”