Path to a 100 hour week?

Hey all, 

Not in IB nor have I had any banking experience but thinking about it in the future. I was curious, over the course of 7 days, how do you guys hit the 100 hours?? I usually work ~12 hours per day in my current, along with 4-6 hours per weekend. This means my weeks top out at MAX like 80 or so hours (usually even lighter because Friday's are really chill). What does the daily distribution of hours (at its worst) look like in IB? What are the tasks that are occupying that time? Of the hours worked, is there a decent % of downtime following comments being turned?

Most Helpful

100 hour weeks are pretty insane, think people here are vastly overestimating how common they are in banking. That’s 16 hours a day (10am-2am) 5 days a week with 20 hours on a weekend. Maybe possible if there’s something blowing up on a deal, but definitely not a regular week.

The issue in banking is so much of the day is spent on nonsense calls that you really aren’t able to get into work much until the evening. Then, turning comments on a deck or working in the model can easily take a good chunk of time, which turns into a long day when you aren’t starting any of it until 6pm

There are two things you can do as a junior banker (outside of work) that can vastly improve your quality of life (at least it did for me when I started these things):

1) hire someone to clean your house/apartment. It doesn’t have to be more than twice a month (every other week). It’s really all you need if you do simple things like make your bed every day and stay on top of your dishes (put them in the dishwasher as soon as you’re done using them) bc you’re not spending a ton of time at home anyways. Even better if you have a roommate you can split the cost with. Total cost is about $200 a month ($100/person) for the entire apartment - very worth it.

2) find a rotation of restaurants you enjoy that are HEALTHY for you. It pains me to watch people eat the way they do, and if they changed to a good diet they would see a vast improvement in their life, both physically and mentally.

I’m an A2A associate.

Monday - Thursday is usually 9am - 3:30am

Friday 9 - 9

Saturday is chill with only about 3-5 hrs of work

Sunday usually a full 10am - 2-3 am

Days are pretty packed and my vps will text me directly if I don’t answer something within 5 -10 minutes

Not gonna lie I’ve been showering once a week most times since I’m still WFH.

Been non-stop like this for almost 2 months now. Had one week where I only worked 80 hrs. It felt so amazing that it gave me hope that maybe I can keep doing this if hours come down eventually.

I think in some ways it will help, but it’ll be worse in other ways. I definitely am more stressed around people and commute is going to suck up so much time. Also need to get ready and be presentable vs just rolling out of bed.

Lmao if had even 1 hr every other day, that would be amazing. Unfortunately, most days there’s never more than 5-10 minutes of down time. I have to lie to my team and say I have a call or something to be able to take a shit or shower most of the time.

The 100-hour weeks were definitely pretty common right before I left IB around April. However, it was the result of a perfect shit storm of high turnover, white-hot market, SPAC boom and the general consensus that seniors cared even less about your health during WFH. I was also in a group that was pretty sweaty pre-COVID.

Mon-Thurs was 800AM-230AM or so (would sleep 4.5 hours 3AM-730AM)

Fri was 800AM-1000PM

Saturday was about 5 hours of work

Sunday was about 10AM-230AM

If turnover didn't hit us like a bag full of bricks, I probably could've kept things around 90 hours, but my last few months in IB were definitely 100ish on average.

Did the big lateral hiring wave help lessen things down or did dealflow slow in august 2021

Not sure, since I left before they brought on more lateral hires. However, intern return offer rate was pretty low for my bank Summer 2020, which made me fearful of the hours getting worse. I think the big issue when we return to office will be that the seniors know everyone has a rock-solid WFH setup now, and will have no problem abusing that on weekends/when you get home from office. Even vacations were sort of rough with WFH, but we'll see how it plays out. They definitely are not giving out this higher comp for nothing, though. The hours are more brutal than ever before and they know this.

I don’t know of any group that has seen meaningful improvement since the wave of hiring started. As more people are coming in, more people are leaving following bonus pay out. Add on the requirement of bringing the new hires up to speed on internal processes and it’s possible even more work. 

I’ve had 1 100 hour week in my first year (yeah I track my hours like a crazy person). That week I had 3 very active deals and a pitch. One of the deals required so much attention during “normal” workday hours and the other was usually more active in the evening so I didn’t have time to get to do work uninterrupted until the vps started logging off at like 10pm.  went approximately like this:

monday: 9am-3:30am (18.5hrs)

Tuesday: 9am-3:30am (18.5hrs)

wednesday: 7:30am-10:30pm (15hrs)

Thursday: 8am-4:30am (20.5hrs)

Friday: 8:30am-11:30pm (15hrs)

Saturday: no work 

Sunday: 11am-2am (15hrs) 

For a grand total of 102.5

It sucked so bad 

It’s not common. I would argue on average, even a fast deal you are going to see 9am-1am (16 hours) Sunday-Thursday so 80 hours. Then Friday 9am-7pm (10) hours and a few hours on Saturday. So 93ish hours and you likely have a an hour break each day waiting for comments in reality. But a hellish week can be 9am-4am or more realistically 1 4am the others 9am-2am and working both Saturday and Sunday which would get you around 100-110. 

I think if you are working 100+ hours there was mismanagement somewhere that occurred or a really insufferable client.

hit the desk 15 months ago and have only pulled 2 true 100 hour weeks. They sucked ass but I was so busy the days kinda just blended together and it went by pretty quick and afterwards my staffer told me to log off at noon the following friday. No idea how all you mf's are pulling this shit on the reg, godspeed to all of you. Seeing the sun come up as I waited for like 20 data tables to refresh was a low point. 

Consequatur nisi est ab qui tempore. Nihil pariatur odio vero nulla sunt non consequatur aut.

Eius rerum laudantium sunt doloremque id qui voluptas. Id fuga explicabo rerum sit molestias repellendus accusantium possimus. Non totam distinctio qui maiores minus harum.

Aut nobis dolores aut aut. Debitis ea quia velit cum qui repudiandae reiciendis. Ab et facere odit illo molestiae consectetur. Sit et error exercitationem iste.

Rerum possimus ipsa consectetur similique rerum animi. Voluptas ratione assumenda illum non sit qui. Ducimus dolor commodi dolores voluptatem laborum. Officia temporibus eveniet dolor ea possimus. At doloribus nesciunt repellendus quia architecto vero quis pariatur.

Deserunt asperiores consequatur illo ut qui neque. Corporis natus assumenda ea debitis voluptatem. Ea blanditiis impedit et est.

Saepe repudiandae soluta nam. Architecto quas ab unde suscipit quaerat quia repellat praesentium.

Harum qui mollitia rem soluta ducimus veritatis ducimus voluptatem. Minus voluptate repellat debitis amet. Aut saepe maxime nobis et.

Est laborum ducimus enim in qui consequatur fuga. Quae sit mollitia cumque suscipit et omnis sit. Ipsam rem reprehenderit odit nisi vel voluptate soluta.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”