Private Equity Firms with Public Investing Arms

Hi All - bit of a strange ask here. Has anyone seen a list of private equity firms (venture, growth, buyout) with public investing arms?

Would imagine KKR, BX, Carlyle all have some form of this but curious about others that people have heard of or if anyone's seen a list anywhere (did try searching...) one off comments all appreciated!

I believe Vista Equity Partners has a public technology investing fund.

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

They all have groups or sub-divisions that opportunistically buy up first-loss positions/equity that are publicly traded, whether it’s easier to amass a position or liquidity.

Array

Can someone explain this strategy a bit more? Do they try to take public companies private or do they just take big minority stakes and hold long term? What type of person does this appeal to/why would you choose it over a L/S fund or a PE fund? Have returns in the space been good? Any help is appreciated. 

It’s just Opportunistic where mandate of the private equity strategy cannot touch.  Hold period depends by fund, and they’re usually non-control minority passive investments. Don’t think activist plays are common.

reason why people are here instead of SM l/s: 1) likely can’t make it to a tiger cub... gotta be honest, this is most probable reason since comp is definitely lower 2) it’s deep diligence public markets (liquidity, mark to market performance tracking, more competition, more uncertainty and risk/reward for edge) strategy infused within a PE house with all its IC processes and platform network so you get potentially best of both worlds. 

Array

Are we talking about the same Sunley house? They have 12 IPs. Maybe their senior/partner levels are impressive, but the associates don't come from tiger cub backgrounds and aren't as impressive as you make them out to seem. Just clicking on their website profiles, I see that their backgrounds are consulting, IBD, and a respectable Multi L/S buy-side. That said, for a small sized team in a top UMM PE house it's expected the seniors have extreme pedigree, and Sunley House is a fairly niche space. 

Ultimately, I think these people are interested in a different style of investing than SM L/S. But I stand by my conclusion that these individuals wouldn't have secured a tiger cub job had they been interested. 

Array

Would it be correct to characterize it as something akin to a long only, concentrated hedge fund strategy with a 3-5 year time horizon on investments?

Nostrum veritatis sed dolor consequatur ipsum enim incidunt. Ut et qui sit iste similique. Doloremque fugiat sed dolore sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”