Quant Nerds Make $500k+ with just 2 years exp? How do you get to this level? (see link)

I can do all the of the things mentioned in the "Requirements" section but if i sent in my resume today, i'd get dinged.

how does a quant get to this kind of level?

http://www.hrg.net/index.php/job_post/view/416

not all of them say PhD required.

lookatmycock:
blastoise:
bubble.

so, like, are you saying quant finance is a bubble or are you just being a fuckass?

no quant finance is here to stay but earning that kind of money isn't bc of regs inc

Best Response

Not sure it's a bubble; more like a lack of supply. Do you have the insight to put together a cache that retrieves stuff in O(n) time while coming up with a solid, consistent model while catching the error in somebody else's assumptions? Can you come up with new ideas for trading models that the guys at Goldman Sachs can't think of? Can you do it all overnight while building a clean, maintainable system?

People want their numbers yesterday, need them to be right, and need them to be delivered faster than the competiition. That offers about as much value as a mid-level trader. The two-three years of experience in an appropriate area is really the signal they're looking for; not the coding ability, algorithms ability, or statistical or product knowledge. It's the "Can you build this at 3 AM and still account for all of the weird traps and features of the product?"

It's something your born with. I don't think you can learn it; it's like trading- you either have it or you don't, and you have to spend a couple years proving you have it before the offers really start coming in.

They don't say PhD is required, but they hire PhDs almost exclusively. And if you think you can be a quant, start with Citi Quant trading or Morgan Stanley Strats & Modeling, they hire more masters and undergrads... if both of them reject your application and don't invite you to the exam/first interview, I guess they believe you are no good.

Quant research is the hardest of all type of quant jobs and these are PhDs only!

roni_bk:
They don't say PhD is required, but they hire PhDs almost exclusively. And if you think you can be a quant, start with Citi Quant trading or Morgan Stanley Strats & Modeling, they hire more masters and undergrads... if both of them reject your application and don't invite you to the exam/first interview, I guess they believe you are no good.

Quant research is the hardest of all type of quant jobs and these are PhDs only!

"PhDs only": More or less true. Its aimed at those PhDs that have been crushing exams all their lives coming top of their year that belatedly realise that kids who worked half as hard as them are earning four times as much, or even more if academia is where you've been in. So instead you crush a few more exams and start applying your quant. knowledge to finance so that you may be getting a paycheck you (maybe) deserve.

But I've also seen some seriously retarded PhDs. So I'd say a PhD is possibly a necessary but not sufficient condition. Simply put, if 1 firm hires a PhD that can do something very specific that s/he's been working on for 5 years, to beat that, you gotta get a better one. Let the Markov chain evolve...

Just Do It

I don't see what the big deal is, anyways. A bunch of people who come on here and start fights and use ad-hominems against folks claim they're going to be making $1 mil in two years. What is so bad about quiet unassuming unpretentious programmers making a fraction of that two years out of undergrad? A lot of folks do- 3/4 of them are in Chicago or maybe Connecticut.

ivoteforthatguy:
phds understand PDEs, stochastic calculus, advanced monte carlo, etc

hard to pick that up on the fly. takes years to be good at it.

and being good at C and being fucking good is a big jump.

What about being fucking good at being good at C?

NESTED SYNTAX JOKES FTW NERDSNORT NERDSNORT

Just Do It

PhD is to quantitative analysis/trading roles as MBA is to IBD roles.

If you have a proven record of being shit hot, then you can get by without one. But, you may find the lack of one puts a glass ceiling over your head though when it comes to promotions or lateral moves.

They are also a very useful way to solve the classic "relevant experience catch-22," i.e. firms will only hire candidates with relevant experience to these roles, but the only way to get relevant experience is to work in those roles, which you can't get hired for because you don't have experience.

Nihil at quia et velit quasi. Error commodi et molestiae voluptas qui fugit. Tempora dolor ut sint tempora eveniet occaecati rerum autem. Repellendus ut sapiente quam. Et ut qui ab sint animi voluptatem quia.

Quaerat nam excepturi nam dolorem et nihil unde. Voluptatem est maiores id corrupti fugit. Itaque nihil non error autem.

Aut libero saepe eos. Quibusdam perspiciatis pariatur quisquam explicabo autem quas ipsa. Neque eius quod dolorem id. Nam iusto voluptas accusantium optio quibusdam. Id voluptatibus qui aut ut aspernatur. Inventore numquam eligendi adipisci aut nemo earum doloremque sed. Non quaerat eligendi earum.

Quia ab mollitia fuga aut tempore unde voluptatem dolores. Omnis sed totam dolor omnis dolores optio qui aspernatur. Ducimus labore nihil atque voluptate. Fugit eaque aspernatur illo ut tempora eius.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”