SA 2019 recruiting moved up to spring 2018

Heard through the grapevine (including recruiters) that SA 2019 recruiting for the Class of 2020 got moved up to spring 2018, i.e. their sophomore spring, meaning they'll only have one internship under their belt. Thoughts?

and WHY?! At this point it becomes self defeating. I understand the rush to get the top candidates first but when it's this fucking early you don't even know who the best candidates are. Some of that takes a bit of time to shake out and it's going to bite you in the ass once you have people with SA2019 offers who then feel comfortable sitting on their ass during summer 2018.

This is true - means that freshman need to have internships the summer after freshman year and start prepping soon. Thankfully I skipped studying abroad to intern at a boutique this summer.

My question is what does this mean for sophomore summer timelines for students from target schools? Where should we be targeting and when do we have to start if the timeline is so high up.

Yeah that's why I'm confused too. I actually asked the recruiter what that means for sophomore internships, and they said obviously they understand that they can't keep moving the timeline up and expecting the same amount of internships so I guess they'll adjust their filtering?

Array

@threepigeons" hey does this still hold true? Had senior bankers at WF inform me recently that most people (bankers) were extremely frustrated with HR about how early recruiting was this year for 2018 SA. They didn't tell me anything about timelines, but they really hated doing interviews in August/early-September and said they are gonna push for later timelines (October-ish)

Sounds about right. For the Class of 2019, SA 2018 recruiting started around February/March in spring 2017, with first offers being extended in late June and early July. This was mostly diversity pipeline programs (people of color, women, LGBT), though a few non-diverse candidates also got offers that time. Because it moves up a few months every year, I wouldn't be surprised if first offers for SA 2019/Class of 2020 are extended in March/April of spring 2018, with many spots being filled by the end of the school year.

Doesn’t that seem fairly early? I feel like that kind of screws over students in a way. If it truly is before the school year ends, students can’t really use their gpa for the end of the spring semester on their resume.

Recently received a generic email from a recruiter at Morgan Stanley that outlined the timeline for 2019 SA recruiting. It says applications will open online in July, which I believe is basically the same time as this past year's recruiting. Obviously, I'm guessing there will be those "secret" superdays for diversity candidates and top students from target schools before the applications are open online to the public... I'm just curious to see if MS will actually stick by these timelines, or if regular candidates at both targets and non-targets will start interviews in May/June.

So my biggest gripe with earlier recruiting is the handling of super days etc. If recruiting "wraps up in the summer" that means that first-round interviews/superdays will be held while the candidates are in their sophomore summer internships.

How will this work? Many boutique banks work you analyst hours (70+) and it seems unlikely that you can take days off to interview with other banks.

Anyone can chime in on how the BB/MM/EB's are going to handle this?

Also is this for NYC or will SF/LA also move quicker?

Thanks guys!

Sb'ed! Thanks a ton man that's a very insightful post!

Regarding technical prep, are the M&I Guides enough? I've completed the M&I Guides already (I came from a non-traditional background, so I was much older when I started uni and had my stuff figured), and I'm a little unsure on what else is needed for EB prep since I'll be focusing mostly on these banks (and other technical ones like HLHZ).

Out of curiosity did you recruit in NYC or SF (or both)?

Great insight, just wrapped up my summer 2018 SA recruiting, which ended recently but am surprised to see the recruiting process is moving up even earlier. Few BBs have exceptions where they stretch their recruiting process, so there is a glimmer of hope out there for people who end up without an offer during the accelerated process in late summer.

As for Los Angeles, I wanted to chime in since I recruited heavily for that area and partially SF. LA and SF tend to be before NY offices processes (they finish during the accelerated process), and they move fairly quick. I have experiences the same thing with a few Chicago banks I recruited for. Chicago is more-so in line with NYC timelines, and NYC (depending on the bank) can stretch for months. Best of luck to everyone, the recruiting timeline now is absurd.

There's a lot of #fakenews going around - most BBs will have accelerated Spring recruiting for diversity (ethnic/gender) because they get SA offers out of the programs. Pipeline program recruiting (the majority of SA roles) will not start this far in advance. People need to stop lying to sound high and mighty...

At consequatur explicabo tenetur modi sunt aut nesciunt. Culpa quia neque rem exercitationem facere assumenda alias iure. Odit incidunt quia assumenda nobis cupiditate. Ut itaque magnam autem doloremque suscipit et.

Eum modi qui ut autem quasi consequatur recusandae tempora. Sunt quo quo alias ducimus eaque omnis beatae. Ratione pariatur eum quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”