Thoughts on Blair in 2021 and Beyond?

Currently a second-year analyst at a BB and I am not having a good time lol. Don't necessarily want to leave finance but after a year at my current bank, I'm thinking of moving to another firm.

Was hoping I could get more color on Blair (and other MMs) in 2021 and beyond in terms of comp/prestige/lifestyle/exits. Thanks in advance.

Most Helpful

Close friends w a Blair analyst so I’ll give some insight-

Pay- very good. 110/115/125 as analyst with a good bonus. Probably not evercore money, but likely higher than BB comp for junior levels. All cash always

Exits- decent range of outcomes here. Some go UMM PE, lots go MM/LMM. Some VC/startup/corporate exits as well. Not a lot of MF exits. See later point on A2A as well.

Culture- if you ever meet someone from Blair, they always hype up how much they love the firm. Seems like a pretty close knit group. Just has a more Midwestern feel than most banks, so people are a bit more laid back overall. Note that this doesn’t mean the hours are better- they work hard- but just that the people are a bit nicer.

Promotion- this is where I think Blair is really unique. Blair has what I would argue is the most direct path to MD of any bank. Not sure of exact data, but a ton of Blair analysts go A2A. The firm is very focused on home grown leadership- pretty sure their head of IB (CEO maybe?) started as an analyst. Tons of current VPs+ started as analysts. No bschool requirement and it seems like the firm really is friendly to working up the ranks. Not sure what my plans are but if I decided to stay in IB, I’d definitely look at lateraling to Blair. It’s also one of the few remaining partnership banks, which means great economics at the senior levels.

Overall- Blair is a MM bank, but it’s a pretty clear leader in the space. In the right group you’ll see some decently sized deals (1b+), but some groups also crank out 300M sell sides constantly as well. The bank says they’re growing fast (but what bank isn’t saying that this year) and have hired tons of laterals this year.

Also keep location in mind- NYC office is small I think. Most bankers sit in CHI with some in SF/Bos/NYC, think theres newer offices in Charlotte and Atlanta as well.

In my networking around Charlotte I keep hearing that a lot of people have lateralled into their new office there. I think they've grown from like 5 people to 35+ in 3 years or so. Seems like they may be gaining some market share. Or wouldn't be surprised if it's also just some people wanting to get out of Chicago to a lower cost of living location.

Currently work there. The amount of laterals from BB’s and EB’s is substantial. Outside of people poached that have left with MD’s, ive never seen people lateral to another bank from Blair.

At a certain point people need to realize outside of this forum, no one uses terms like EB or BB. What matters to many is the transactions you work on and people you are around. In a good group, you will get exposure to deals ranging from $120m- $2B and likely close 3+ Sell-side deals a year with lucky people getting closer to 5. From personal experience, I know people at Blair that have closed more deals and a larger amount of transaction value than friends at Qatalyst, Moelis, or Morgan Stanley, but that’s not a conversation this forum wants to hear. 

Comp has been covered above. Only other points I’ll add:

• Prestige—this forum is largely NY focused. If you are in Chicago though, I don’t think there is a more prestigious bank honestly. Blair is a larger institution than most of the BB’s and the MD’s across the firm make up the wealthy parents across the Chicago suburbs. More common to see a Blair MD than a Goldman Sachs or Citi MD in Chicago.
  • Exits—This has been covered on the forum, but the exits aren’t to the largest private equity firms. From personal experience, I believe this is actually more due to self selection than anything else. Many people leaving Blair don’t go to PE and those that do usually prefer to continue looking at companies in the $120m-$2B range. After all, if they have years of experience looking at those types of companies, why would they all of sudden decide to invest in larger transactions? Growth and MM PE are the most common buyside exits since those are the counter parties you deal with.
  • Culture—Firm is being very liberal with remote/ WFH. Basically they have taken the approach that they believe it’s your choice and groups and teams should navigate it on an individual basis. From a personality standpoint, the Midwest focus means less assholes per capita. There’s also a decent amount of institutional policy protecting things like vacation, maternity/ paternity leave, and an A to A sabbatical. All that said, it’s still banking and the place can get SWEATY. However, in the right groups it’s a pretty solid experience.

Honestly, if you need a change of scenery or aren’t afraid of working in Chicago, Atlanta, or Boston, I’d lateral. The NY office I believe is more or less a remote office and I think you don’t get as many of the perks of the firm working there.

If you close 3 $B+ mandates and additional ~$500m sell sides in a year no matter where you are your experience is just freaky lucky. Also, no matter the bank there are analysts that just get unlucky and have busted or drawn out processes. Shouldn’t be even a remotely controversial statement for people that have seen how random deals and staffing can be. On average, certainly not, but that’s not the question here. 

~20 in Atlanta, ~30 in Boston, ~40 in Charlotte ~45 NY, ~60 in SF, ~80 London, ~30 Frankfurt, way too many to count in Chicago (I’d guess > 300 at least). 

Worth noting though, teams don’t divide by location. Most the time your team isn’t all in one location and deal team members are in various offices. Was that way pre-covid and is even more that way now.

Do they hire FT out of college? I have a JPM IB SA gig and wondering if I can make the switch to Blair after the summer. I am looking to be a career banker fwiw.

I also have a few close friends at WB (can only comment on Chicago and analyst/associate levels). From my understanding, strong emphasis on culture and A2A growth for juniors. Hours vary amongst groups (I’ve heard the HC team is one of the heaviest in terms of hours) but in line with the typical workload in IB at the analyst level. Very high compensation for the Midwest (comparable to established NYC MM banks) and 100% cash. Also heavy bench so deal teams are stacked with junior bankers.

From what I’ve heard on the street, some groups have experienced a boom in deal flow which has lead to tons of hiring and lateral moves. Lastly, in regards to exists, my understanding is similar to previous comments where most place in MM/LM PE/VC, with occasional placements at UM buyout shops and typically in Chicago.

Most of my comments are pretty much in line with others in the forum and I don’t work at Blair, however, hopefully gives some more color.

Quo laborum et rerum adipisci dicta alias perspiciatis. Aut occaecati consequuntur est debitis. Eaque est voluptas sunt tempore et tempora. Laboriosam quos culpa dolores sint. A voluptate nobis facilis at.

Aut et dicta nemo voluptate sed corporis dignissimos. Pariatur libero voluptate nisi ducimus sit. Eligendi ipsam dolor rerum quia dicta maxime qui voluptatem. Non reprehenderit autem necessitatibus magnam eligendi. Sint saepe ea sit vel quod vero. Qui et sit beatae non porro et.

Quisquam sunt accusantium voluptate est. Officiis id voluptatem et eveniet sapiente voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”