Using 100% equity for a project - does it ever make sense?

Just wondering about this, does it ever make sense to not use any debt for a real estate project? Say for example, you're having a difficult time deploying capital because cap rates are super low, but you've found a decent investment. So you want to deploy as much of your equity as possible, you're not worried about being able to invest in another project because other projects are not offering good returns.

Lets assume you have a $500M equity portfolio, and this project is $20M in value.

Does diversification concerns stop you from going all equity?

Do the tax benefits of debt make it worthwhile in this situation?

I just threw out some numbers as an example, I'm interested in the theory behind this

In this case, cash flow is solid, company is growing fast, etc... but we want to make sure there's loads of room to make mistakes. Not concerned about capital being tied up because we're aiming for more than 10x in 2 years or less. We'll start loading the company with debt if our initial thesis plays out well and if it doesn't, then we have lots of room to try various strategies.

C.R.E. Shervin:
Chick Fil A has a development arm, besides the team that does its build-outs?

Yes. That's how new stores are built.

They have a separate rehab team as well for existing store upgrades

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Yes. There are entire funds who purchase core quality assets with 100% equity. See: https://www.ncreif.org/data-products/funds/ Note that Odyssey funds do utilize debt but they do it at the portfolio level rather than the asset level.

Another time this might make sense is if you're an open-ended value fund and need to get equity out the door, ie you have a queue of investors lined up and you need to deploy capital. You wouldn't do this in every circumstance, but there are situations where it might make sense.

I mean, the simplest answer (though it isn't really answering the question you're getting at, I don't think) is if you need to move quickly to lock up an asset. If you think you're buying really well, or if there is a pressing timing need to get started on construction (maybe the safe harbor for a tax abatement is fast approaching, etc), then going all-cash and not dealing with the time it takes to go through a credit approval process from a lender makes sense.

I may be thinking about this wrong, but here goes. Feel free to monkey shit me...

Recently competed w local all equity developer on a large WC land site. They solve to a a RoC, like most do. Thing is... they don't have the $5/10 per BSF in their budget for construction loan interest so they have more room to push. They're strictly yield buyers and will hold forever. not the best guy to go against for a REPE shop.

So my answer is yes, there is benefit to going all cash if circumstances are right.

This is a bit of an oversimplified answer, but if your cost of debt is higher than your unlevered yield, it makes sense to use 100% equity.

I come from down in the valley, where mister when you're young, they bring you up to do like your daddy done

I'm not sure how you're getting to this conclusion. Unlevered yield is basically the cap rate of the asset assuming 100% equity. If Kd > cap rate that is OK and almost always happens in class A+ assets insofar as the DSCR is sufficient to service the debt understanding LTV VC or any startup company, use all equity going in first and then do a levered recap to take equity off the BS once the asset is stablilzed and can service the debt.

zacksc11:
IMO only makes sense to use 100% equity agreed if there are unstable cash flows of the asset and you need a runway to get to stabilziation. Kind of like VC or any startup company, use all equity going in first and then do a levered recap to take equity off the BS once the asset is stablilzed and can service the debt.

Huh? As I mentioned above, there are $200+ billion of core funds who buy all-equity and do not utilize this strategy on unstabilized assets. Maybe a small % of their portfolio is carved out for alpha plays where you might take on development risk in a build-to-core strategy (for example), but for the most part you're buying newly-built, stabilized, Class A+ assets in top-20 MSAs.

Usually when this happens though (at least from my anecdotal observation) it's a foreign entity that has been living in a negative interest rate reality/environment recently. So if they need to put leverage on it to just get the deal done (don't have a big enough equity check) they'll be fine with diluting the returns just to get it done. If it's a 5 cap deal but the lev. CoC is 3.5% when all is said and done, it's still better than negative return in some alternative investments.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

Most Helpful

I think it makes sense in the following cases (most of which have been explicitly/implicitly explained, but in summation:

-You use the ability to close all-cash as a differentiation/way to expedite closing. Most of these groups will then tack on debt post close at the portfolio level (have a relationship with a lender or a revolving credit line/debt pool).

-You are at a large family office that has enough money to close all-cash and would rather own outright than deal with the risk/head trauma of the debt.

-You like the deal but the returns on the project vs. the debt are upside down (i.e., the debt would be dilutive to the deal). Seeing this a lot in industrial and multifamily right now since the cap rate compression has approached ludicrous speed.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

short answer yes. more common in NNN structure assets that typically come with lower leverage. Less likely to see 100% cash/equity for a MF development...

Also, a lot of larger public REIT's employ a revolving line of credit. Think of this like a credit card. Over simplifying it, but this is really a short term debt structure that usually results in one company owning 100% of the asset, often through equity.

Again, the word equity and cash gets a little hazy when you're public traded and have stock ownership out in the public market,..

What is your point with the revolving line of credit? Many funds and investment firms use them as well, typically to close on the acquisition of a property more quickly and then put debt on the asset later.

I thought you were going to say that may REITs address their capital structure at the enterprise level, typically through bonds, rather than encumbering each property. That way they can achieve levered returns and have more flexibility.

Aspernatur laudantium error et minima aut consequatur dolor. Facilis dolorum voluptatem quasi libero est. Voluptas minima incidunt fugit ea.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Iusto laborum et dicta cupiditate. Itaque ex quis fugit est.

Consequatur velit ducimus repellat natus ea. Ipsam nemo consequatur provident vel cupiditate sint. Deleniti inventore aut voluptas. Accusamus asperiores id quidem assumenda itaque non architecto.

Ab at eligendi omnis quam quae. Molestiae est doloribus itaque ut animi velit. Sed error est rerum id vitae ducimus. Sed alias nisi et pariatur voluptates fugit et. Maxime aut accusamus alias vitae magnam non nisi.

Sed deleniti facere quis exercitationem est exercitationem. Ea qui aliquid nam ut. Repellendus aut ut nihil atque voluptas iure. Natus molestiae laboriosam autem sint quibusdam doloribus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”