What is the best way to answer this? Should I say that I do not like the city in which I work?
How to Answer Tricky Interview Questions
"What do you like least about your job?" is one of those tricky interview questions for which there seems to be no ideal answer. You don't want to criticize your current employer or come across as someone who will not be a good fit for the job you are interviewing for. Here are a few tips from the WSO forum on how to answer this question:
- From WSO user @smpat04 : You could always do some soul-searching then be truthful. "I don't like cold-calling, but I recognize that it is necessary to move the business forward so I give myself a pep-talk before picking up the phone."
- From WSO user @Beny23 : I always say the amount of red tape and technology problems. They are non-negative answers I think I can get away with.
- From Certified Real Estate Professional - Developer @CRE : I'd highlight the difference between your current job and the new one. I'm in commercial real estate, so if I was trying to get a M&A gig, I'd say something like "I want to dig deeper into the financials of a company and help them with capital issues beyond the limited scope of real estate. I like my job, but I feel like it is limited." It's honest, it's framed in a positive light, and it highlights the mental path you took up until the interview (even if it's bullshit and didn't really happen that way).
Find Your Mentor
- Increase your chance of landing a job by matching with one of our 200+ mentors.
- Our mentors are top employees at the most selective firms.
- Proven process with over 1,100 clients over 10 years.