Accepting 2 offers with different start dates so you can "try out" one of them?
The scenario goes like this:
- Thom has received offers from Company A and Company B.
- Company A has assigned a June start date.
- Company B has assigned a September start date.
(1) accepts both A and B's offers
(2) shows up for work at Company A in June, treating the three-month period from June-August as a "try out" period.
(3a) If Thom likes Company A, he reneges on Company B to stay at Company A.
(3b) If Thom doesn't like Company A, he resigns after two months, per at-will employment, and switches over to Company B.
Company A and Company B belong to entirely different industries, and are located on opposite coasts of the US. The risk of someone from Company A knowing someone from Company B is slim.
Has anyone ever pulled off something like this? If so, what was your outcome? (I fully acknowledge that this is a jackass thing to do, because you're guaranteed to screw over one of the two companies.)