2021 ADC/APD Summer Programs/Full-Time Applications Thread

Applications are starting up so figured I'd set up a thread similar to last year so people could ask questions or share updates as they prepare for recruiting season. Giving back to the community I heavily lurked last year for sure!

Below are links with deadlines for firms with applications updated for 2021.

Summer Programs:

Other firms that hire PhDs include:

• EY-Parthenon
  • Health Advances
  • Navigant
  • ZS
  • IQVIA
  • CBPartners
  • Cello Health Bioconsulting
  • Comment if I'm missing some

Link to Past Threads:

Hi ADCs, like the first commenter WSO served me well last year and its time to pay it forward. Received offers for LS and generalist firms during covid, currently a PhD in a LS firm. Happy to share more in PMs about this path. Best of luck everyone! 

Anyone applying to other workshops that have deadlines soon?

I'll apply to Clarion, Clearview and LEK but curious if I missed some.

Also, guys, don't forget that all summer programs are more competitive (especially by resume with no interviews) than applications for FT positions. The candidates with a really impressive resume attend 3-4 summer programs, but they will only select one job at the end. I know plenty of people who got job offers in previous years without attending the summer workshops (because they didn't apply for those or because they weren't selected). There was certainly a big number of people who applied for the summer workshops but weren't selected to attend them, and still got invited to interview for FT for the same firms.

As far as deadlines go, I sat in on an undergrad info session for McKinsey and the recruiter laid out the following timeline:

July 19th: Deadline #1 for all roles

Sept 16th: Deadline #2 for all roles

Aug-Sept: Interviews for group 1

Early-Mid Oct: Interviews for group 2

In case it helps anyone get past that first screening, I wanted to share the resources I used to put my resume together.

For format and structure, I replicated the example from the BCG ADC Resume Writing Workshop.

After a first pass, I revised each bulletpoint to lead with the action verbs from this list.

I also looked through the materials in the free resume/cover letter course on casecoach. I don't think there was much added-value there though.

Next, I had a non-PhD friend take a look at it to be sure it made sense to someone without a technical background.

Finally, I asked a consultant friend for some feedback and incorporated some more changes.

Good luck everyone!

I interviewed on Friday as well and just received an offer letter via email this morning. One of the Partners called me late on Friday evening to let me know I made it in. Not sure if this is typical, though. Hope you all hear back soon and best of luck!

I especially liked the Darden and Stern books, but all casebooks have issues with consistency so this index is a great resource. Just copy it to your account and filter by 'Beginner friendly' & 'Recommended' then read through some of the notes to find a case that sounds interesting.

my recruiting season is officially overrrrr! i’ve seen posts like this in prior year iterations of this thread so i’m leaving my important dates below to help any current or future applicants.

a bit about me: STEM PhD from a “Public Ivy”; STEM undergrad from an “Actual Ivy” lol; excellent grades/ GRE scores/ fellowship track record; prior biz internships + work experience

recruiting results (mid-atlantic office for all)*:

1. McKinsey: Applied through Insight, accepted 4/8, power round interview 9/10, verbal rejection 9/10 (with offer to enroll in the “Keep In Touch” program for strong candidates and re-apply in a year)

2. BCG: Applied through Bridge to BCG, accepted 4/16, 1st round interview 8/13, offered final round interview 8/16, final round 8/20, verbal offer 8/20 - i accepted!

3. Bain: 1st round interview offer 7/22, 1st round interview 8/11, offered final round interview 8/13, final round 8/24, verbal offer 8/24

* You'll notice that I applied through the early programs (Bridge & Insight) in the spring but did not interview until Aug/Sep. I was completely green back in May/June with no case experience. After a few cases I truly felt that I could not get into proper casing shape by the original interview dates offered to me in May. Thus, I asked to delay my interviews. My recommendation for folks is to prep much earlier (starting in Feb/March) if you plan to apply for these programs because the interview turnaround is so fast. That's when many of the folks I met in the early programs who were noticeably good casers and received offers said they started prepping. There are always speed demons who can pick things up with like 2 weeks of prep, but I wouldn't bet my future on that! Especially since we all have extremely busy academic schedules as well as other life things going on in the background. Just my two cents!

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (588) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (345) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (190) $83
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”