Have $100,000 USD to Invest

In my class, we are entered into a simulation to test our investing abilities. The top 10 I believe will get bonus grades. I didn't do well on my midterms so I need those marks.

What should I buy and how many stocks?

1/3 spread out over blue chip stocks.

1/4 in biotech/healthcare realm.

1/4 in small cap tech

the rest in oil and just hope for a rebound.

disclaimer: i don't know anything about trading persay.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

Banquero:

loled at your disclaimer, +1 SB
If your trading you probably want to stay away from blue chips seeing as they're mature companies and do not fluctuate as much as a small or mid cap stock.

Just throw it all in penny stocks!
Disclaimer: Do not put it all in penny stocks

Disclaimer made me lol.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

ONLY b/c this is paper money. USE leveraged ETFs , you have no downside. This project is a far out of the money call option- you won't get punished for blowing up your 'fund'.

If they have to be stocks, screen using finviz for badly beat up names and throw money small cap energy. russian stocks, chinese media etc.

please understand that is a TERRIBLE idea with real money.

This is a terrible idea in general, real money or not. With the amount of volatility in the markets right now, beta slippage from daily rebalancing on leveraged funds will kill his returns.

Well the time horizon is likely 4-5 months so it will be very hard to set yourself apart from the pack unless you take extremely concentrated positions. You will either be in the top ten or not in the top 10 . Playing it safe will likely not get you in the top ten so I would agree with UTD in regards to oil, except just putting it all on oil. The worst that happens is you don't get a grade boost. Study a little harder, college is not that hard.

One caveat, it would help to know how large your class size is and if there are any requirements to see the rules that everyone is playing by. If there are twelve in the class disregard everything I just said and put it in 20-30 positions and you should follow the market.

$T May Call 32/35 spread... all of it. You'll either double up or flop, but you've only got like ten weeks left in the semester anyway.

"I'm blessed with an extremely poor memory, which allows me to deal with the future rather than the past." -George Soros

Are you graded only on gross returns or is there a sharpe ratio aspect of the scoring? If there was, that would impact the possibility of using some of the above strategies.

Returns are pretty much completely random in that short of a time span. Like Aggmonkey said, leveraged ETFs are the way to go (TNA is 3x small caps, EDC 3x emerging markets, UWTI 3x crude).

After doing a few of these semester long virtual competitions in school, investing organizations, etc., you learn that 9 out of 10 times the person that wins made a few huge bets that ended up going right. Awful practice for real investing, but it may get you that extra credit.

ETFs are structured, synthetic products that are made to as closely track the underlying - index, basket of assets, commodities and bonds. For example, Nikkei rose 30% yoy, so if you bought a Nikkei225 ETF your payoff would be ~30%. I would suggest longing US banks (Wells Fargo, Goldman...), as fed rates are imminent with jobs growth (Timeframe ~3 months). However, if you're looking for a quick return, try high yield funds in Japan. Some US-based REITS in japan offer up to 30% dividend, although that certainly guarantees destruction of capital. But if timeframe is short, I think it's a good idea.

A neat trick would be to mimic stocks in the portfolio from the best performing hedge funds. Interestingly, majority of the top 10 best performing hedge funds hold mostly healthcare stocks.

Good advice above to play risky as there is no downside, and it's an all-or-nothing proposition. Top 10 out of how many?

The proper strategy for this really is different from real investing. DickFuld also has a good point that you should bet away from the crowd as you may lose anyway if you go with the pack. If it's Top 10 out of 1000 I would do something pretty far out, if it's out of 50 I might be a little more reasonable.

Presumably you can't sell options in your sim? That would be free money...

Lever up long QQQ or IWM and buy deep out of the money puts.

The likelihood of one of your classmates being able to pick stocks worth a damn is pretty slim so if you even come remotely close to tracking the market you'll probably win by a wide margin.

[quote=patternfinder]Of course, I would just buy in scales. [/quote] See my WSO Blog | my AMA

Dude I just gotta repeat what everyone else has been saying....IT'S FAKE MONEY...this is your chance to dick around and make the super risky bets that you can't with your real money....have some fun with it and you'll probably come out pretty well off

buy out of the money calls on 3x levered ETFs, maybe one of them that tracks oil? also look at the TVIX

almost won my paper money fund in college doing^^^^ of course I was too hungover one day and forgot to dump the calls after a 3x increase. Then blew up the fund

Tximu:

one important thing: are going to be graded for your total return or risk adjusted return??? in addition, I've had classes in which the total return was not the most important, but the reasoning and justification of your strategies. You should ask your professor about how is he/she going to grade your investments.

Exactly. If the marks were allocated like 90% Strategy/approach, 10% absolute return - I'd focus more on delivering a solid strategy.

But if it's 100% marks on return, it depends on your risk profile. How many marks out of 100% do you need? If you're in the situation whereby you need top marks or you're fucked, I'd say go big. i.e. no need for too much hedging.

How do they define the top 10? If its the most profitable, then just buy the riskiest shit you can find. Load up on a bunch of out of the money options, leveraged ETF''s, micro/small cap, in that order as allowed. Its fake money, so make a splash! However, if your judged on the quality or soundness of your asset allocation, ignore everything I just said.

In all seriousness, I would check the rules of the trading site. I remember a couple of years back I had a similar challenge in one of my classes. You could make trades after hours (i.e., before the market opened the following AM) and the price you would purchase the shares at was the previous day's closing price. Essentially you could take advantage of huge overnight moves in stocks to guarantee yourself gains. This may have just been a glitch in the trading platform, but it helped me beat the rest of my class my a VERY significant amount and earn an A on the assignment (much to the professors disappointment).

How many classmates are you competing against? If you just need to place top 10/(20-50) you could probably get by with just sound investing, if you need to place top 10 out of a lot you need to deliberately increase your risk, ie leveraged funds or high risk companies.

Eos amet id accusantium qui quis provident aspernatur. Placeat cupiditate placeat impedit hic sit sed placeat qui. Voluptas consequuntur facere alias delectus quibusdam incidunt est in. Tempore eum quo vel aliquam est quis alias.

Possimus voluptatibus assumenda in veritatis est laborum placeat. Blanditiis incidunt illo molestiae possimus rerum. Similique suscipit ut enim beatae alias fuga non. Est voluptatem voluptates in excepturi sunt doloribus id.

Sapiente tenetur ut quibusdam non. Consequatur nobis doloremque porro natus mollitia qui molestiae accusamus. Non qui repudiandae est cum eum. Ipsam exercitationem nemo modi perspiciatis corrupti.

Minus et in itaque placeat voluptate. Error accusamus commodi pariatur ut. Quas sit et aspernatur repellat voluptates consequatur. Ab dolor aut reiciendis deleniti. Impedit mollitia nostrum et voluptas modi ex.

Inventore est repellat harum. Tempora porro eaque voluptates nihil. Sequi officia consectetur deleniti magni. Et optio libero voluptatem sit velit deserunt voluptas enim. Facilis aut voluptate dolorum ipsam alias autem. Adipisci et et cupiditate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”