Can I round my GPA up from a 3.449 to a 3.5?

I just graduated from undergrad with a 3.449 GPA, and it took an ass ton of work.

My first two years of college was really, really rough because I was in a car accident my senior year of high school and suffered a traumatic brain injury which dropped my IQ by 20 points for 2-3 years.

High on the whole “IQ doesn’t matter” propaganda, I didn’t take a gap year and went straight to college. I did miserably, and I also found out later that I also have a pretty severe case of ADHD which was exasperated by the TBI.

My junior year, I put my nose to the grindstone and I was somehow able to get straight A’s my Junior and Senior years. I’m now at an incredible company doing work I love, but while I was updating my resume, I couldn’t decide if I should mention my GPA.

Obviously if I go for an MBA, I will show a 3.449, but that doesn’t matter since I still fall in the 3.4-3.59 GPA bucket. I was just wondering in terms of what I put on my resume, because I have heard that you shouldn’t put your undergrad GPA on your resume unless it is a 3.5+.

My Major GPA (Finance and Data Science) was a 3.9, but I don’t think I can just put a Major GPA without the overall GPA. Can I round my 3.449 GPA up to a 3.5?

Thanks!

How did you get through finance and data science without knowing basic math?

the difference between putting 3.45 and putting 3.5 is almost nothing in terms of what the person will think about you based on your gpa

You should aim to round to 2 decimal places. I suppose that is common practice to avoid people inflating their GPA. Definitely mention both GPAs: before the interview stage I don't think the difference between 3.45 and 3.5 will make a difference. If you make it to the interview stage your major GPA will probably matter more. 

Array

Are you OP justifying your own post or do you really think 3.449 rounds up to a 3.5?

imagine MSing everyone who can do basic rounding... oh wait that's you

I d0N’t C the PrObLEM. Using the transitive property of equality we know if a=b and b=c then a=c. So if 3.449 rounds to 3.45 and 3.45 round to 3.5, 3.449 must round to 3.5. Continuing this: We know 3.5 rounds to 4.0, so 3.449 must round to 4.0.

I’d say slap 4.0 on your resume and call it a day.

I realize you just got a heat from the community here... but in all honestly - I'm fairly sure when you apply to BSchool they will get a transcript from your undergrad school... so the GPA will come out. Just round honestly and try your best to make the rest of your application stand-out. Also if your heart is set on an MBA - try and get some really interesting / unique experience pre-MBA - that may help you overcome the GPA hurdle, rather than just having the same cookie cutter application that all of Wall Street has. 

No you don’t seem like someone who can BS a good story why.

If you do this, you’ll actually need to spend hours polishing and practicing a story why so that you don’t get shafted randomly if someone asks. If you don’t prep, then when you get asked you’ll get nervous and someone will dig hard and or take offense and screw you.

Still easier than getting an A instead of A- though

Sit sunt sit quas doloribus. Et voluptatem aut nobis aut. Earum beatae exercitationem porro eveniet tenetur. Aut occaecati dignissimos est aut enim voluptas quia. Rerum est voluptates aut doloremque saepe. Praesentium in facere eius sint vitae molestiae.

Aspernatur repellat dolores in veritatis est illo amet. Voluptas dolore ut provident suscipit quia quisquam et. Fugit corrupti aperiam esse. Et ullam numquam illum quam architecto.

Rerum dolorem quaerat non ducimus aut ut. Quam soluta nostrum totam. Vel nemo quia in cupiditate sequi velit possimus.

Reprehenderit exercitationem ut qui. Qui officiis eum dolores tempore at blanditiis. Id quis quis dolore quia dolor.

Quos consequuntur sapiente nobis ut dolorum. Ratione non necessitatibus praesentium nemo repellat et. Nihil ut exercitationem in quia. Tempora corporis a in molestiae nesciunt voluptatum voluptates.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (151) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”