Centerview Partners Compensation (2020)

Hi all,

Been curious about this for a while and thought I'd give it a shot here. I see so many different numbers thrown around (some outrageous and unreasonable) for compensation at CVP, and so many people just saying they pay super well with zero data points. I was wondering if any of you had information from reliable sources at what compensation looks like for analyst, associate, and principal, as I imagine for MD+ compensation is wildly variable. I heard from many friends the 50K signing for Anl1 is definitely true, but was wondering what compensation might look like for An2/3, Asso 1-3 (and Asso 0 signing) as well as VP (Principal) 1~5. Hopefully we get some good data here for all of our edification.

Thanks,

WSO posted this on LinkedIn 6 days ago:

"Compensation at Centerview Partners: $275k - $350k by your third analyst year Associate: 3 years, start at $350/400K and move to $500K by third year. If you stay as an associate, your third analyst year also comps higher at ~$350K. VP: 5 years, start at $600K and increment up to $1M by the end. Can confirm analyst numbers someone mentioned above. Buckets are small, probably negligible after-tax. Also worth noting: Analyst program is three-years. Heard if you stay all three years, senior partners help you out for PE recruiting but it's frowned upon to leave early (I was told it does happen though). If you do leave early, you have to pay back $35K of your $50K signing bonus Read more about Centerview: https://bit.ly/2EY0HZ6 Full IB Comp Report: https://bit.ly/3jFMQ8G #centerview #cvp #finance #wallstreet"

Most Helpful

This thread is from a while ago but I thought I might take a stab at this (all my information is from either other threads/people on this forum, with a little bit through networking and talking with people who know people that work there).

The numbers below represent Base + Bonus (will include in brackets for signing bonuses)

Analyst 1 - 190k - 200k (240k - 250k including the 50k signing bonus)

Analyst 2 - 220k - 230k 

Analyst 3 - 250k (350k including the 100k A2A signing bonus)

Associate 1 - 350k 

Associate 2 - 425k

Associate 3 - 500k (No info if there is a signing bonus to stay on as a VP nor the amount if there is one)

VP 1 - 600k 

VP 2 - 700k 

VP 3 - 800k 

VP 4 - 900k 

VP 5 - 1 million 

MD/Partner - No one really knows.  It is highly variable and it depends completely on performance.  However, considering the headcount there alongside the magnitude and quality of deals they are doing alongside the fact they are a private company, I would say it is a safe bet to assume CVP MDs/Partners break 8 figures.  Again that is my own estimate and opinion but I do feel like if there is a bank where management is still breaking 8 figures often, it would be at a place like CVP.

Again these are the numbers I have gathered around from all kinds of sources (please correct me if there is any misinformation).  The shocking thing I found is the 100k A2A signing bonus (I know that is accurate, comes from a person there).  Again, not all these numbers could be 100% accurate but it is what I have gathered, but still most are fairly accurate.

This is great intel. Thank you. I heard something a bit different - my cousin's friend is a principal there and I hear it's 175 base + 100%ish bonus for a total of 400ish. But if VPs can make 1 million, it means better to be at Centerview long term vs anywhere else. 

This sounds incorrect, or at least inconsistent from what I've heard overall - however - if true, that would be quite a bit BELOW street - when even BBs pay closer to $450-$500 for a VP1 and a higher base of ~$225 / 250 - so higher overall and higher on a risk-adjusted basis

I am genuinely curious about how Principals at CVP (VPs elsewhere) get comped - if the base stays at $175K / yr for  those ~5 years - it would suggest bonus percentages would be astronomical (450%+ bonus if a Pr5 clears ~$1mm) - especially since I'd imagine that early years in Principal would likely not have any revenue targets, maybe not even until P3 or higher levels

I don't have an exact range and am basing my knowledge of conversations with MDs who are family friends at other boutique firms and my discussions with people at the firm. I've heard that partners easily make north of $1M. Single digit millions is a reasonable assumption for junior MDs, and my best sources say that the most senior partners can make north of $20M per year. I've heard that there are absolutely zero golden handcuffs as well.

The WSJ recently posted an article about the firm remaining private during an IPO boom. In the article, they mentioned that Centerview earned 1.3B in revenue. Most boutique firms (from the earnings calls I have read) have a comp ratio of around 60%. So assuming Centerview has a higher comp ratio than that because they are private (say 65-70%) and they only have around 350 employees globally, you can reasonably deduce that the ~50 partners are making the money that I mentioned earlier in this post. 

How do you think comp of senior partners at CVP compare to comp of senior partners at MFPE?

Can anyone share some info about how to lateral to Centerview? I am a second year analyst (about to receive the A2A promotion) at a low-tier BB coverage group in NYC, and I want to lateral there. Should I lateral as an analyst or as an associate? How difficult is to lateral there? How does the process look like? Thanks 

that maybe so, but 2 friends went there and the one who went through Weatherly said they did a better job of helping him understand CV and the interview process. Seems these are the only two firms CV uses, though many hunters pretend they have relationships they don't

This was one of the greatest years ever in healthcare equities business and CV had a bunch of high profile m&a’s in the sector. Will likely continue in 2021, because of low interest rate and pharma pipeline issues.

I know that one of the healthcare focused banks had comps in 2020 that are similar to the CV numbers above (associates, for what it’s worth), but thats only due to 2020 being a historical anomaly. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2020 numbers for CV come out much higher.

Work here now :

As analyst 50k signing bonus but have to give back 35k if you leave before the 3 years. 
1st year is base 90k and bonus 100k-140k with most people getting ~120k as bonus. Base goes up 10k each year (bonus increases but forgot what).

And now if you stay to be associate for at least 2 years you get 200k signing bonus 

Iure eos ad quam aliquid velit. Sint et praesentium sint doloremque. Et et quas molestias consequatur facere. Sunt ut qui commodi atque reiciendis at voluptas. Cum in optio omnis quaerat. Quia perferendis est consequuntur omnis vero consequatur.

Ipsa ullam reprehenderit deleniti sapiente. Fugit commodi magnam et dignissimos possimus. Consequatur iusto quae voluptatem est cum et incidunt. Et voluptatem hic sequi non itaque voluptas. Iusto quia accusamus animi voluptates non. Praesentium quod voluptatem molestiae repellendus pariatur ut deserunt. Voluptates asperiores nemo quibusdam reprehenderit quisquam velit ut.

Officia placeat tenetur nostrum. Cumque blanditiis voluptatem et odio omnis recusandae nemo dolores. Modi recusandae consectetur dolorem porro beatae eum. Nesciunt error in perferendis fuga ut repudiandae fugiat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”