GLC Advisors in 2020

Can someone shed some light on these guys? Seem to be pretty high on the Rx tables but for some reason can’t find that much on these guys on the site.

How are they perceived in the industry / reputation / comp / culture?

If you look at their website, a lot of the incoming analysts summered elsewhere. Did they not get FT offers and rerecruit (aka maybe not top class of analysts) or did they get FT offers and chose to rerecruit (aka a chance at GLC was worth rejecting original their offers)? I don't know, but I have my biases.

My very cursory experience left me with the impression that they have some decent mid-level folks but the senior level is hit or miss in terms of "would I want to work for this person?" Juniors gave off a fratty vibe, though I can't speak to the current team.

That's an interesting data point, which would probably explain my observation above. Looking at LinkedIn, only a handful of summers historically (and not in NYC), so maybe they do tend to hire re-recruits. 

Most Helpful

Friend worked there and I interviewed with them (super day was hard as hell). Thing about it is it’s really 2 firms- one that’s a top notch rx mini-boutique, and one that’s a middle market m&a team in Denver. Not sure how they became connected. 

Can confirm they don’t have summer interns for nyc restructuring team and only hire FT. Kids re-recruit. Comp is above street and almost everyone is from targets.

as for the middle market team in Denver, no idea

They swing a home run every now and then through Brigade, but are generally not competitive against your usual 8-10 suspects in restructuring (which they lose a good amount of laterals to). Would expect even Jefferies Rx to offer a broader deal experience, and that's pretty much all energy and UCC work.

After Jim Millstein sold, there are roughly 8-10 firms that are competitive across all sectors and generally don't do deals less than $400mm (debtor or creditor). List in alphabetical order:

Centerview

Ducera

Evercore

Greenhill

Guggenheim

HL

Lazard

Moelis

PJT

PWP

Rothschild

Jefferies and PJ Solomon have sector specific strengths in energy and retail respectively, while TRS has a much smaller team but does good deal flow for its size. Neither of these 3 firms will offer you the broad deal experience you would get in the former list. 

GLC was discussed earlier, while Imperial and Carl Marks typically dip into LMM. MB is a little bit like GLC - pop up in a big deal every now and then, but generally don't see them on pitches / deals. 

There's also the restructuring groups at various MM banks like Lincoln International, Piper Jaffray, and Cowen, but those tend to be less traditional and more geared towards stressed situations.

GLC has advised on a ton of mid and large cap restructurings, I don't know why you are comparing a tiny boutique to teams at Evercore or HL that have many dozens MDs, that's not a remotely useful comparison at all. I worked across from them on FirstEnergy and their creditors doubled to tripled their money, same can't be said for many creditor advisory firms who's clients end up losing a ton of money.

For anyone that doesn't believe me, go ahead and list out the number of MDs at each of those 10 firms. Ducera has almost 15 "partners". Greenhill has a gigantic team with at least 6 "restructuring co-heads" and a multiple of that regular way MDs. Guggenheim absorbed the Milstein team (I liked them a lot and work with them often) but they are a decently big group. Perella has at least 15 MD/Partners on the restructuring side. GLC has like 7 or 8 total MDs on the restructuring side (rest are on this no-name random M&A business). TRS is probably the only firm comparable and it's relatively new so you can't vouch for their track record until a few years in.

Out of that 8-10, 3-4 players are similar to GLC in size (in terms of restructuring headcount) and do significantly better deal flow. TRS is much younger with a smaller team, and is doing similar deal flow. 

In my experience, if creditors are tripling their money, it probably isn't because of a restructuring advisor's unique expertise (unless it's a lawyer with fraudulent conveyance). Rather, the debt was genuinely mispriced to begin with, or an underlying commodity recovered. But I also didn't work on FirstEnergy, so feel to let me know if I'm wrong.

Dead giveaway to me though is still bleeding juniors. Firms with good experience, culture, and pay don't lose juniors to competitors on a regular basis (just look at MB). From what I've heard, the main issue here is experience, but to be fair I haven't asked the GLC guys that still work there for the other side of the argument. 

Can comment on exits based on Linkedin search. They’re mostly credit / distressed: Oaktree, Apollo (Distressed), Brigade, Goldentree. 

Friend from college went to HG Vora which is a pretty good event driven HF. Think people tend to stay a bit longer at GLC (he was associate when he left). Goldentree guy also went to same school as both of us

Current employee here. From a junior perspective, GLC has an incredible experience. Solid deal flow with lots of unique situations in addition to traditional Rx processes due to the senior team’s broader backgrounds. Lean teams let analysts who prove themselves lead of lot work products and have real impact on deals. Placement to HF /PE from people above me has been top notch. Company is supportive of juniors who decide to explore other opportunities and even willing to help place them. Like all Rx shops hours are long but that’s what you sign up for and part of the learning process. Loved my time so far

Provident quisquam quis eveniet temporibus. Unde vero voluptates autem nihil quis. Rerum fugiat odio repudiandae iste deleniti quibusdam. Reiciendis magnam non et ab enim consectetur. Veniam consequatur et reprehenderit culpa ipsum omnis qui dolorum. Voluptate accusamus dignissimos explicabo cumque provident sunt assumenda tempore. Et quis distinctio aliquid corporis eaque.

Quasi dolorem optio qui amet. Voluptatem debitis repellat aliquam aut quo voluptatum libero. Atque quaerat ducimus voluptatem quia.

Sed minima aut maiores expedita est laboriosam. Mollitia perspiciatis iure sed quibusdam. Quam excepturi tenetur quam illo.

Distinctio doloribus eligendi sed quia cumque. Itaque consequatur voluptatem aut nisi. Aut id maxime totam non. Facere tenetur quibusdam qui aut. Distinctio blanditiis ab voluptates suscipit tempora ratione necessitatibus. Dolor dolore ipsa ea voluptatem voluptatum soluta enim. Similique deleniti laudantium iste eius voluptatum mollitia ex.

Numquam unde tenetur qui quasi quia. Voluptate repudiandae dolorum nobis animi repellat. Alias debitis omnis consectetur modi dolore.

Excepturi reprehenderit accusantium et qui. Dignissimos voluptas voluptatem exercitationem beatae corrupti est unde. Impedit dolore voluptatem voluptas reiciendis officia. Non laboriosam aut aut eos suscipit maxime. Voluptate et facere praesentium.

Accusantium ipsa atque provident veritatis et. Est perspiciatis consequatur quis soluta accusantium dolorum. Quia corporis laboriosam eius totam velit ea sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”