I used to work in HSBC but I can't place them in terms of rank. They are not a BB (although that can be kinda not true in London and Asia), they are definitely too big to be an EB and do not have EB vibes, MM just seems wrong and they are not a regional bank.

Most Helpful

Used to be in HSBC CB now on the buyside, comp is 125k for An1 which is a goldmine considering we don't work weekends and barely work on fridays. Hours in CB were around 12 hours a day.

I couldn't care less about prestige so honestly don't know where it ranks on that and it baffles me that people actually concern themselves with that garbage, I am on this planet to bang hot chicks and live a nice life, I don't care about impressing a few incels by telling them the bank I work for when girls and my family don't know the difference anyway, my friends in other banks are making 15k more but working triple the amount of hours with co workers that are an anal pain to be around, that does not sound enviable to me in any way shape or form. I will mention it in a moment but i had multiple chances to join BB's but I did not take it because it was not worth it at all.

HSBC mostly has clout in Europe and not in the USA so if you have not worked extensively or lived in europe for a long time you wouldn't know, hence a lot of Americans seriously underestimate them and you would get a lot of people bashing them on this website. These same people would tell you to take BAML over Rothschild in London because "Rothschild is a no name shop" (i have seen this on here before). 

Exits in CB are better than expected, I didn't get any messages from BX but constantly got asked to join BB's and other top funds reached out quite commonly as well as other large companies. 

People in HSBC are the same as people from every other bank, mostly we had a lot of ex JPM and Deutsche people on my floor as well as kids from Ivy Leagues and state schools, so I don't see how that would be much different from being on the floor of Citi or BAML.

The bank is really small though in NYC compared to BBs, IB and CB are on the same level (5th floor) in its current office and its never hard to find a seat. I heard in other banks its packed.

Also they are moving to a sweet new office in Hudson Yards called The Spiral, not gonna lie it looks kinda sweet.

I'm guessing he means total comp including bonus which is fairly in line with what CB comp was a couple years ago. A1 in IBD is 100k base

125k for An 1 in corp banking? I’m an an2 in corp banking and my base is 105. Is that including bonus?

Currently work in their New York Office in IB. Culture varies by group, but generally would say its a laid back style for traditional banking.

Hours are extremely flexible but light, with many analysts (yes analysts) leaving by 6 or 7, depending on the group or how busy you are.

Comp is below street (A1 seems to always be less than $20k for everyone).

Dealflow varies by group but generally not great. The bank participates mainly, not many lead roles compared to any other bank.

My opinion, if you want a laid back banking role, where you will work 50-70 hours a week, but get paid below street, then HSBC is a decent place to work. Not advised if you plan to go to PE or HF, as you won't be able to compete with other

Sorry, should have specified

A1 is $100k plus bonus (ranging from $10-$20k per year, based on the last 3 years. All A1 receive the same ranking, so everyone gets the same no matter how good or bad you are)

A2/A3 are $105/$110k

Praesentium perspiciatis hic nulla. Eius molestiae repellendus cupiditate ipsum. Et quidem rerum sit minima et sit ex. Officiis sed labore iste vero neque sapiente.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”