Monday @Mentions November 4, 2013

Thread of the Week:

Here's a pretty cool twist: @"M. Blank" wrote a comment to the post Is PE the best job in the world? (by @"goldman in da house") which would go on to become a thread all its own titled, "Thoughts from a Former Navy SEAL", and it took WSO by storm last week. His comment on the original thread earned him 9 Silver Bananas, but the standalone post that it became pulled an outstanding 30 Silver Bananas and 30 Facebook Likes. Fantastic job, and thank you for your service!

Comment of the Week:

@"Simple As..." kept bringing the heat this week in the same thread he was called out for last week. His answer to a question from @naivekid in the On the Job with Simple As... thread about how to determine the appropriate cost of capital was as follows:

Well, theoretically, you determine the appropriate required return using the weighted average cost of capital. You would find the cost of equity, specifically, using the capital asset pricing model (CAPM) or the fama-french 3-factor model (FF3). At least, that's how you'd be taught in school or what you'd be forced to learn for the CFA exam series. I personally do not use any of those, but will refrain from bashing them because I'm sure there are investors out there who are much more accomplished than me who use them.

That being said, the market is always implying a required rate of return for an asset. For instance, let's assume there is an asset trading at 4x. The market would be implying a required return (cost of capital) of 25%. Now, where you earn your keep is in risk-adjusting that implied required return. As an example, should you have the opportunity to buy this asset at a price of 4x from a mutual fund that needs to sell because of a lot of cash outflows or a pension fund that needs to sell to re-balance there's a good chance you're get a good deal because they are likely forced sellers. This is where your industry/company/macro knowledge and experience will come in to play. Just as a clarification, I'm not saying that I use this method all the time or even at all.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what the discount rate is and what you're looking to do with it.

Honorable mention this week goes to @DBCooper for his potentially caption contest winning caption:

Strange. This is where Mr. Corzine said we could pick up the funds from our futures account...

in the WSO Caption Contest - Oct 30th... Win a Beautiful Free WSO T-shirt. thread.

The Professor:

@Nefarious- had a great follow-up piece to Coffee Is for Closers with last week's The Ebb and Flow That Is Life. TL;DR version? Work to live, don't live to work. Leave it all on the field, and the scoreboard will take care of itself. The post earned 6 Silver Bananas and 3 Facebook Likes.

Guidance Counselor:

There is networking help, and then there is networking help. @CRE really brought the goods last week with his post One Fell Swoop: Multi-Purpose Networking. This step-by-step guide to networking technique brought in 13 Silver Bananas and a Facebook Like.

Most Active Monkeys:

@"Discounted Cash Bro" was burning up the boards over the past week, racking up 176 banana points. @"Simple As..." was on his heels with 158. That's solid work, fellas.

Where's Waldo?

Here's a couple monkeys we haven't heard from in awhile. Where y'at, primates? @"Virginia Tech 4ever" @bankerella @TheKing

Did I miss anyone or any post or comments?

Best Response

Thanks for the mention.

@"Going Concern" should also get a shout out for his explanation of the market implied cost of capital too.

Going Concern:

To expand on this a little further because I think it's a concept that people seem to kind of gloss over often:

If a stock price is lets say 4x earnings, and you assume that company is a going concern and will exist in perpeuity, using the simple perpetuity valuation formula (P = E/r), your discount rate for your presumably constant stream of earnings (E) would need to be 25% for that stock's price to be 4*E, or P = E/0.25, or P/E = 1/r.

[quote=patternfinder]Of course, I would just buy in scales. [/quote] See my WSO Blog | my AMA

Dolorum eos commodi commodi est vitae accusantium earum. Cupiditate amet quis numquam ducimus ut. Voluptatem officiis et occaecati sint dolore animi dolor nobis. Nulla placeat quaerat nisi ad aliquid repellat harum. Quo magni error occaecati facere. Aspernatur omnis dolorem voluptatem aut ad impedit nobis.

Laudantium quo id unde id cum. Eveniet blanditiis occaecati quo natus sit nobis. At itaque ea distinctio officiis corrupti dignissimos.

Qui eos odit et laboriosam ducimus. Voluptatibus enim repellat dolores velit neque quia quam voluptatum. Optio dolores explicabo nemo sint dolor asperiores magni.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”