Please stop posting about the 2022 GS Virtual Insight Series

Our generation is so prestige hungry it's insane. Two hours ago, GS released decisions for their VIRTUAL insight Series, and now, people are so eager to show they are "accomplished" that they are posting that they got accepted out of 10,000 applicants. At its simplest form, all it means is that you get to log onto some Zoom meetings hosted by Goldman recruiting and MAYBE get an accelerated recruiting timeline. People are flat out exaggerating, saying these experiences will be so "tRansForMaTioNal" and that they are grateful for their peer's support.

Get it together guys, and show some self-respect. (And so you don't call me salty, yes, I got accepted)

I’m hysterically laughing scrolling through LinkedIn seeing kids in my class post about this. Imagine typing that shit out unironically

Them being happy is good, but it's what that happiness is predicated on that worries me - is these kids' proudness predicated on whether or not GS invites them to a zoom meeting? That's concerning. It's a general issue I have with social media; people are so eager to seek validation from others when in reality, if they were truly happy, they wouldn't feel the need to post every success they have.

Most Helpful

Why does it worry you? These are legit random kids. I don’t quite understand the need to have such a strong reaction to their “cringe” update. At the end of the day it comes down to lack of confidence, you think that your achievements are better but you aren’t receiving praise so why should they feel the need to flex for attention if you aren’t getting any. Learn to be happy for people even if it’s cringe or silly, feeling happy for others will make your own life happier. No need to judge why someone is happy and conclude as a 20 year old that they shouldn’t be happy because you don’t see their minor accomplishment as worthy of happiness.

Analyst 1 in IB - Cov

I never understood why it bothers people? They are proud of themselves and happy, maybe it's corny but that's their issue. Why are you anti people being happy? Sounds like an internal issue.

Because as somebody that works for GS, it’s a glorified info session that I’ve even seen people put it down as an internship type when it’s clearly not. People really need to stop with this stuff it’s just cringe worthy posting about an informational call you’ll be on, doesn’t mean you’ll get an offer or interview and that’s a fact.

No one here is against being happy for getting accepted into a program. The issue for most is for people who exaggerate its importance on social media to a point that they seem they lack awareness or sound tone-deaf at worse. For example, posting a short essay on how delighted you are for being on the honor roll (each semester) looks ridiculous since half of the school receives it as well, hence diminishing its importance. Similar to the GS program, where the acceptance rate is pretty good but does not do much to benefit GS prospects. You could go on the extreme end and post every facet of the recruiting process you participated in (grateful for being in X,Y,Z summit) (grateful for passing my 1st round interview round at X). 

We all know social media is used to flex your accomplishments and/or seek validation. It makes sense to post your IB acceptances, but these people are only showing off their participation trophies. It's cringy and perhaps even unprofessional, but it mostly lacks self-awareness. That's why it bothers people, and I hope those who post about their GS summits and prestigious coffee chats realize that and change for the better.

Notice how everyone speaking up against it are mostly incoming interns? You will realize as you start your career that you really don’t give a shit if this randoms post a cringe acceptance or their LinkedIn. Like seriously do you actually care about random people making posts? You are in a great position I would assume and happy with your offer why does it matter what randoms do with their own LinkedIn?

Not anti-happy per se. Just anti-cringe. See incoming summer IB analyst at GS posts.

Over 1,000 kids are accepted which makes sense why my feed is fucking flooded. Plus I think the numbers are even more exaggerated for # of posts on LinkedIn because kids who usually get nothing, finally got an answer back; so they have to post about it lol

Its so funny, got the email today. Searched on linkedin for GS summer insight posts in last 24 hours, and there were at least 100 LMAO

There is no interview at all for this year, and therefore I still fill like I'm in the middle of nowhere. I just uploaded my CV for graduate school and RAs (i.e. a list of publications and working papers, while leadership and social activities are almost neglected) and then they sent me an Email to "congratulate" me on this...

To be honest, I can hardly be proud of such an "achievement", but if I got rejected I'll be far more upset than usual since it's a program that seems to be for anyone. 

The HV’s for the early application window (April 1-10) have already been sent and completed, SF has had Superdays already and NY I think is planning for early May. If you already applied and didn’t get a HV and/or don’t get a super day, I doubt it would help. Maybe it could help if you applied in July when it “re opens” but no idea how many spots will be filled or open by then.

This is what's called a win-win-win. GS gets free publicity and continued claim to being the most sought after destination. Selected candidates get to boast of their accomplishment. And the rest get to moan & vent about it on forums. Works for all!

Literally remember you posting this last year and now it back like clockwork haha

Don't blame the kids. Blame GS for hyping the shit out of this program. I did it last year and it was literally useless. GS hypes the program about how it will grow your network and improve your interview skills. Once these kids posting on LinkedIn finish it, they will realize they wasted hours attending the zoom session.

Lol this is the reason I still don't have a linkedin despite having a BB SA offer. The insight series means absolutely nothing and offers no advantages in GS recruiting. So tired of seeing people jerk themselves off for meaningless accomplishments and pretending like it's getting drafted in the NBA or NFL. And then the replies are even worse with people throwing out bullshit congratulatory remarks. Don't even get me started on the cringe of "incoming intern" that has become a staple for every kid that gets an IB offer or any internship in general. My generation is full of immediate gratification losers that feel the need to flex everything they do in life on others.

Haha. Gotta keep it real. Honestly feel like people copy these annoying practices after seeing others engage in them. Talk to some friends who do dumb shit like "incoming intern" and self congratulatory posts, and they say they're just doing it because their friends do it. We have to stop making it common. Another dumb thing is the people putting pronouns on Linkedin when it's quite obvious without it, but that's another can of worms.

naw but having "incoming intern" helped me recruit for another job before I did the internship and allowed younger kids to find me on LinkedIn so I could mentor them. There are legitimate reasons to have that. 

I think it's okay to have it on your resume, especially for IB recruiting where everything takes place so far in advance. Doing it on LinkedIn is absolutely cringe imo. If you wanna do that, that's fine. I know others I've talked to the industry look down upon it.

Aperiam deserunt sit animi ullam consequatur exercitationem. Aut vel omnis quaerat est et adipisci. Laudantium et occaecati neque animi dolor alias. Sunt voluptatem amet excepturi. Omnis ipsam quis exercitationem cupiditate quis exercitationem. Velit vero aliquid perspiciatis quisquam sint cum.

Consequatur occaecati inventore voluptatum pariatur eos. Expedita sunt sequi voluptas commodi quae eos. Enim laudantium aut quas et vero et a autem.

Sunt aut nesciunt provident iusto quo omnis est ullam. Sunt quae nobis est vel aut blanditiis accusamus.

Ut voluptas aut odio necessitatibus sed non. Et illum aperiam itaque incidunt ea ea laudantium.

Dolores nulla voluptas accusamus saepe unde occaecati dolor enim. Et ducimus ipsum molestiae. Natus nostrum tenetur in non omnis.

Officia inventore placeat rem nisi vero. Omnis cum asperiores sunt eum est qui tempora quidem. Odit eaque nemo omnis consequatur ex. Sed enim dolor maiores magni. Ea quibusdam veritatis in explicabo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”