Summer 2025 Question

Hi, i'm currently a freshman who's really confused about the summer 2025 internships being open now. i saw online it's advantageous to apply early for summer internships but then again how is it an advantage if your resume isn't fully ready yet. For example, id obviously like the advantage of applying for summer 2025 early but then again i feel my resume isnt ready (havent decided on plan for summer, need gpa to improve). Do the applications work in cycles where u can reapply later on if rejected now or if u apply that's it? I'd wanna give a shot cause why not but if that's gonna end up fucking me for the actual position Id rather wait and have my resume ready. Someone help?

Navigating the timing for applying to summer internships, especially for something as far out as Summer 2025, can indeed be a bit of a strategic puzzle. Here's a breakdown based on insights from the Wall Street Oasis discussions that might help clarify your approach:

1. Early Applications: It's true that applying early can be advantageous. Firms often start their recruitment process well in advance, and being early can sometimes mean less competition and more attention from recruiters. However, this doesn't mean you should rush with an unprepared application.

2. Resume Readiness: If you feel your resume isn't ready due to factors like undecided summer plans or a GPA you're working to improve, it might be worth taking the time to strengthen these areas. A strong application later can be more beneficial than a weak application early.

3. Reapplication Policies: The ability to reapply after an initial rejection varies by firm. Some firms may allow reapplications in the same recruitment cycle, while others might require you to wait until the next cycle. It's important to research the specific policies of the firms you're interested in.

4. Strategic Application: If you decide to apply early, make sure to highlight your potential, current achievements, and any plans you have for improvement or relevant activities you'll be undertaking before the internship starts. This can help offset current weaknesses in your resume.

5. Networking and Continuous Improvement: Regardless of when you apply, focus on networking and continuously improving your profile. Engage with professionals in your desired field, seek advice, and take actionable steps to enhance your resume. This can also include seeking internships or experiences that align with your career goals, even if they're not your top choice, to build your experience.

In summary, while applying early has its benefits, it's crucial to balance this with the readiness of your application. A well-prepared application, even if slightly later, can make a stronger impact. Always consider the specific policies of the firms you're targeting and use the time leading up to your application to strengthen your resume and network effectively.

Sources: Offer rescinded what can I do now?, Q&A: Re-applying to MBB and getting an offer, https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/job-search/ibd-sa-after-graduation?customgpt=1, Resilience in the face of rejection, 20 Most Frequently Asked Questions - London Edition

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Optio consequatur dolor quas laudantium illum. Sint amet nihil voluptas harum. Ut quam est inventore rem quis atque est. Eaque non nam laborum nesciunt non et harum. Quaerat qui eos tempore velit commodi.

Qui eaque laboriosam veniam reiciendis quia quae blanditiis. Ea repellat et vel aut. Autem perferendis a et dolorum. Ipsum iusto aut ad itaque dignissimos omnis. Suscipit voluptas repellendus ab aperiam repellendus tempora officia. Corporis eligendi libero qui.

Voluptas sapiente quibusdam iusto. Sunt quod ratione rerum qui sed reiciendis. Expedita repudiandae in totam ipsum praesentium omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”