UK Summers 2024 - Bad Cycle or Just me?

So, I’m doing my masters at a top MiM/MiF in the UK this year and I’m Indian. Not sure what’s up with recruiting, but it’s been a bloodbath. Can’t seem to even get shortlists, have had only a TI which I somehow didn’t pass despite answering everything properly.
I thought it was just OT fuckups, but my math has always been on point and I see people who definitely have worse math skills getting shortlists for BBs and EBs.

At this point I’m just stumped because career services just seems to tell me “you have a great profile but even we can’t tell how your recruiting cycle will be.”

Is Indian front office IB work ex discounted so much that I can’t even land a summer analyst IB interview in London?

Current LSE student with 3-4 previous internships speaking here.

This year has been shit I'll be honest. Way too competitive due to trackers being introduced and everyone applying the same day and the GCs like Bristol Tracker.

It's no excuse and I guess we gotta up our game.

Try recruiting for boutiques - I've managed to get a off-cycle at a MM firm, still definitely doable.

Don't give up and good luck!

Current LSE student with 3-4 previous internships speaking here.

This year has been shit I'll be honest. Way too competitive due to trackers being introduced and everyone applying the same day and the GCs like Bristol Tracker.

It's no excuse and I guess we gotta up our game.

Try recruiting for boutiques - I've managed to get a off-cycle at a MM firm, still definitely doable.

Don't give up and good luck!

Hi, currently planning next year's recruitment. If given the option to apply for only 1 position at a firm would you have an easier time getting an off-cycle compared to a graduate role? I heard Off-cycle are far harder to get but also heard graduate roles are impossible to get w/o experience so Ig going by that Off-cycle would be the easier route? How was your experience recruiting for off-cycles

I got very lucky with mine. Tbh mine is more like a industrial year gig - 9 months total at a MM shop. I applied for an internship and they didn't specify the length on the website so I just applied and did a couple rounds of interviews and a case study 

I have not personally recruited for Off-cycles but I guess I would recommend them over summers that you have to cold-call for if your technicals are good and you have some experience in the division your applying for. I know a couple guys who had some M&A experience but at a local corp finance firm and worked on a deal and it was enough to get an off cycle at a decent shop. 

Doubt it, the obsessive culture and trackers are likely here to stay so might as well buckle in

At first glance it seems that this cycle has been hard.

I think the combination of difficult macroeconomic conditions and the spread of information via trackers and WhatsApp chats with 1,000+ people on them all applying first day hasn’t helped either.

Nevertheless, good luck and I hope everything works out.

Trackers have been present for at least 3 years now?

The competition was always going to be stiff but the market conditions arguably made it much harder imo

1. Bad market

2. More and more people getting to know what IB is and how much it pays, so expect to be more and more competitive each year it passes

but point 2 is good, it means that in 15-20 years from now, because of so much demand for white collar jobs and less supply for blue collar jobs, the last will be paying more than some office jobs, so let's see, can't wait to advise my kid to work in construction if he wants to be a millionaire instead of Oxford/IB

As a counterpoint. I did around 90 applications and got to 9 ACs. I wouldn't say I have an insane background. Semi target, a couple of spring weeks, slightly related summer, multiple leadership roles, non diversity. Have I just been very lucky? I also sunk a shit ton of time into perfecting interviews so maybe that was the differentiator.

would love to know if you have any tips / resources for someone beginning university next year.

Insanely overprepare. Start as early as you can because it takes so much time. Tailor CLs and HV answers to each firm and of course research and prepare for interviews. 

MSc Finance at a target school in Europe, 1 BB internship and 1 LMM PE internship, former elite athlete, speak 3 European languages.

Recruiting for SA in London has been truly competitive this year. I landed interviews at 6-7 places but only managed to secure 1 offer at a low BB. Many of my classmates with similar profiles haven't gotten anything and are delaying their graduation date, so I assume next year will be even crazier especially if activity doesn't recover as expected.

And that's without mentioning that some banks have asked the interns who converted to postpone their FT starting dates. So all in all, more supply, less demand.

Everybody is in the same boat. If you're at LBS i dont know if I'd drop the 13k extra to "extend"

This isn’t really a factor. All BB/EB will sponsor and you have the graduate visa for 2 years. The issue is OP is likely an Indian male with no language skills, it’s 3 strikes and you’re out.

Weirdly, I have seen Indian dudes (from India, no UK citizenship) get BBs and PE out of LBS MFA. No idea how but somehow it works out for them.

Yeah, it's a tough year unfortunately, I thought last year was bad. At this point, you just have to keep applying until something sticks. 

Some have offers on the S&T side but I feel that always tends to be more meritocratic than M&A/IB hiring.

S&T hiring is not more meritocratic at all?? Filled with complete non-targets or diversity/women hires that get pushed into sales 

You are not wrong. I just think S&T feels less random on the technical side (trading, quant and structuring). 

As I had a technical background, I always got interviews for S&T (and had offers before deciding against it) with little to no work exp. However, not the same for M&A - even after I got relevant work exp (internship). Meanwhile, "diversity" and others got in with nothing.

So obviously S&T also has people being funnelled into it but I don't think it's as bad as M&A.

Could be wrong but I feel there's a lot more emphasis on diversity of background involving degree course/experience as well as race gender etc. Firms are always saying they want people with different degree backgrounds and it vast majority of applicants are cookie cutter econ students

Omnis sed nostrum non eum ut maiores. Itaque nostrum officia placeat rerum illo. Rerum eos vitae autem eos ut.

Facere veritatis sit autem. Sint aut consequatur explicabo ea.

Est quo magnam neque in et consectetur. Aut voluptas qui corporis nisi enim quo quis necessitatibus. Praesentium et aliquid tempora aut natus aut enim corrupti. Aut quo et enim aut ut et dolorum suscipit.

Sed libero sed facere commodi. Perferendis excepturi quia eveniet et. Rem nam veritatis dolor. Adipisci qui dolorem qui est repudiandae nostrum. Saepe sit quisquam earum voluptatibus sunt. At commodi et voluptatibus consequatur nulla. Unde totam asperiores corporis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”