What Is the Fee Structure Like For MM Volume Shops Doing Sub $100M Deals?

For say your run of the mill Tech or Industrials, straight down the fairway, $75MM sell-side M&A deal. I just cannot fathom the level of churning and burning through deals that must be done to make money on that business unless the fees are substantially higher than those for large-cap deals. Is it at least in the 2.0% - 2.5% range? Or are people really running full sell-side processes for $750K fees?

I think depends on a lot on the firm taking the deal. I work at a pretty strong MM boutique with avg deals being 300M - 600M with plenty above that and it not being odd but also plenty below too just to "keep the lights on" type thing cause its a small shop and they are "easy" becuase of the nature of the transaction is just smaller.

I've seen my firm do 1M in fees for only a 25M capital raise which would 4% fee. I think we can charge that do to the firm doing on average much bigger deals and clients getting a better "brand" and more "qualified experience" since we average much bigger deals. But for those regional shops that just do crazy volume and average 1M - 100M deal size idk what there fees are like but I'd imagine pretty low became they are always have crazy volume, presumably to make up the fact they they still charge the same 2% on a 50M. 

As with most questions, the answer is, "it depends". What are the clients' motivations and objectives? Have there been inbound inquiries? How likely is the deal to get done? Can the company serve as a bonafide platform for MM PE?

There are some circumstances, where you may get to an outsized fee with ratchets, but most are going to price it in the $1.5-$2.5 million range (2-3.5%). 

Most Helpful

Currently in a super low LMM boutique sell-side shop, deal sizes range from 15-20m. Churn is crazy. What keeps the lights on are retainers which go from 15-25k/month. Success fees are 2-3% or 250k per deal. At every moment there are 4-5 deals live/closing. Work was a living hell yet fufilling and exciting, however due to the shit market and deal volume atm I'am literally watching the the firm crumble every day that passes. literally went from working weekends to leaving at 5pm whilst staring at my screen from 4-5 with nothing. If anyone has any advice on what i shld do please let me know XOXO RIPRIP

Uncertain....

StraitsMandeal sizes range from 15-20m...Success fees are 2-3% or 250k per deal
MergersMaestro

I'd look to lateral over another bank maybe shoot for MM or a better LMM that will do up to 100M or 200M

He's gonna have a hard time with that mathematical ability lmao

Depends on the type of business, but in the past during the covid boom years, data analytics/managed services/IT consultancy (aka cloud migration) firms can go 5-9x ebitda.

Uncertain....

What about middle market deals whats the typical fee range? 

The majority of deals out there are MM, it’s not like deal vol is suddenly going to shift to UMM/ billion dollar deals suddenly 

At a regional no-name doing $25-$50M deals - typically we look for a minimum of a $600K fee and it isn't unusual for us to just put that in the EL if we feel there's a good chance the asset is going to sell for below $20M.

Otherwise we typically have a tiered fee structure that starts at around 2.5% for sub $50M deals.

I’ve worked at a couple LMM firms, and fees are usually in the 2-3% range depending on size. I’ve worked on deals anywhere from $20 - $250MM, and the smaller ones are “to keep the lights on” as others have said while the larger ones really drive revenue. Think $750K (sometimes even a bit less) for those smaller clients, but the average is probably just north of $1MM. A team of 6-8 people usually has 3-6 live engagements at any time.

Laborum sit accusamus voluptas et dolorem et id. Iste omnis nam omnis. Culpa dolores explicabo ea praesentium molestiae dolor et. Sed ratione eum exercitationem accusantium qui natus necessitatibus. Modi saepe eaque cum voluptas deserunt fuga enim autem.

Quibusdam numquam impedit exercitationem qui quam. Quis aspernatur et veniam veritatis. Doloremque eos labore ea. Dolorem ut ut eum officiis alias voluptatem qui.

Praesentium molestias eos aut et. Quas corrupti aliquid magni mollitia ex sunt praesentium. Ea enim possimus incidunt qui excepturi. Error et excepturi accusamus commodi. Hic et perspiciatis et ea. Non qui quia qui porro quibusdam voluptatum consequuntur qui.

Sunt odio dolores expedita non eum. Ut molestias ut veritatis sint ut ipsum. Mollitia rerum accusantium iste nihil impedit. Voluptates dolores enim voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”