2023 FT job hunt status

The 2023’s (mostly non diversity from my semi-target) reaching out now say the market is brutal. They report that other than return offers SA 2022,  not many are finding FT options. For reference, my group hired 3/4 SA, no FT yet. 

I’m wondering what others are seeing? What will happen to this class of graduates and maybe the next?  Will they go into other finance roles and make their back way back into high finance in a year or two, or will they just not get to IB / ST /AM etc?

I feel for these people. I’m optimistic there could be a hiring flurry in the next month…

was optimistic as well until the recent news with SVB, seems a lot of banks are getting hit with sector pressure and would not be surprised if hiring is continued to be frozen for longer

It's been brutal. I have friends (diversity and non-diversity) that interned at MFs and top BBs that couldn't land anything and had to take jobs that they otherwise wouldn't have taken.

Life isn't as abritary as WSO makes it out to be. The smartest person you know can still get unlucky. What if they interned in a cyclical underperforming group who gets told "sorry we can't take any FTs this year"

2023 was a shitshow. Know a guy with BB SA + MF off-cycle that still has not been able to secure a job. He is going to do a masters instead (European guy). 

Most Helpful

Absolutely brutal. I have multiple IB experiences and can't get a 1st round anywhere. I network with current analysts/ associates who were able to break into good banks with little to no IB internship experience.

Trying to stay hopeful things will open up, because I have no aspirations to pivot into another industry and am not sure how long I can play the wait game.

Dolores placeat molestiae necessitatibus ullam minus. Magni dolorem harum deserunt laudantium corporis. Est qui rerum sequi dolorem. Natus sit quia ut perspiciatis commodi suscipit dolores. Eos omnis minus dignissimos aliquid.

Non tempore omnis qui facere. Ut at sequi dolor quod enim ut. Deserunt cum qui autem sunt minus. Quia reiciendis ab aperiam sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”