2023 SA recruiting has fully kicked my ass

For context, I am an international, attending a super target (H/W), 3.9+ GPA, varsity athlete, uncommon background.

I think this recruiting cycle has really drained the life out of me so far - I only decided I wanted to fully recruit for US offices in the spring, so I guess I didn't have the networking required for a lot of the 'frattier' banks. I also did not apply for diversity programs that I qualify for because I didn't consider the US in my career choices back then. So this has resulted in rejection after rejection after ghosting after ghosting - whether it be through visa issues, or just being unlucky, or just not being qualified enough. I have a grand total of zero first rounds and this is despite people I've managed to network with saying they'll push my resume.

I know this forum isn't sympathetic towards situations like mine, and I know I still have the cycle of recruiting for my own region to go, but it is extremely demoralizing to have completely no leads so far in the cycle.

Advice would be welcome - currently looking into AM roles, as well as IBD for my own region too.

This might get ms, but as the proverb goes, "one door closes, another opens"

Maybe this is an opportunity to pursue something with more potential than IB/PE. If what you've said is true then maybe you should be looking to do something more exciting/fulfilling than the finance route. There's a lot of threads on here about the wasted potential in finance, and it honestly feels like there's a lot of intellectual capital being allocated to finance and accounting tricks rather than focusing on building things and improving civilization.

Thank you for this - I think I've really pigeonholed myself and I'm still trying to figure things out

I wouldn't give up just yet if it's what you really want. Some BBs are doing more recruiting this summer, and there are a handful of MMs doing it as well. Can always find a boutique bank as well. I would try your best to network your ass off with athletic alumni right now as the process continues. They're extremely receptive to athletes at their alma mater, and I am sure you have a ton you could reach out to if you start looking at LinkedIn profiles. Try getting on the phone with these people at as many different places as you can, and you can get a feel for where they are in recruiting based on some of the questions you should ask. You got all the metrics, keep working hard and really try to connect with those you talk to, because it is a bit surprising that none of them got you first rounds even if you started late in the process. Only takes one really good call to get you going inside a bank.

Most Helpful

I wouldn't get too down on yourself -- a 3.9+ varsity athlete from H/W will be a top candidate for any future postings that go up -- and good postings will continue to go up as the summer goes on while the remaining pool simultaneously becomes weaker as candidates sign offers. In particular, a lot of good buyside funds will recruit in late summer / fall bc they hire very few analysts and don't really keep up with or care about accelerated recruiting and other EBs / BB groups will throw up bespoke / one-off positions to fill last minute headcounts or offset renegs. If I were you, I wouldn't waste time worrying about whether there are good jobs left, but rather asking yourself why with your profile you arent getting first rounds? With the demographics you've described, you should get a first round literally anywhere that will take internationals (and that might be part of it but idk the visa stuff, assuming you're on top of that) so the fact you're not is a huge huge red flag you should be addressing.   

Quidem deleniti tempore nesciunt saepe voluptas assumenda. Repellat non facilis et et nemo ut. Molestiae totam non quae id explicabo iste fuga. Aut et et vel beatae. Quis debitis quo enim voluptatibus.

Doloremque quae voluptatem et iure. Eos aut non corporis ut praesentium et inventore. Quia in sed ipsa cum ut minus qui sunt. Eius velit et est earum et sequi perspiciatis. Soluta nam excepturi nam necessitatibus quia aut ratione accusamus.

Autem laboriosam expedita consectetur suscipit aliquid officiis. Eum voluptatum et illo voluptas dolore non numquam. Deleniti voluptates voluptatem similique dolorem fuga sunt. Excepturi incidunt eaque commodi hic itaque. Officia iusto consequatur illo mollitia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”