Worlds Most Attractive Employers 2010

130,000 career seekers from a business or engineering background list their dream employer.

Google remains an un-stoppable force, as ever, taking the top spot for another year running, but it’s the auditing firms that dominate the rest of the top positions with KPMG, Ernst & Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers & Deloitte snatching the remaining four top slots.

Interestingly classic MBA favorites such as the banking & investment industries and the management consultancy sector are losing their attraction as well as the Oil and Gas sector.

See the full list here: http://www.businessbecause.com/mba-job-market/goo…

I know this is gonna come as a shock to some people on this site, but not everyone in the world is enthralled with the idea of working til 2 am every night..

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

Anthony .:
My friend just got his MAcc and got a big 4 accounting offer in NYC.

56K a year.

Your keyboard seems to be broken. Doesn't seem to be registering all of you key strokes, particular the number keys, lol.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

KPMG in NYC gave offers for their summer associates or whatever they call them and they offered 50k from undergrad...hope your buddy got that masters cheap

I put very little stock in these survey things. CNN did a 'top paying jobs list' recently and had top pay for a surgeon at like 300k....

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Remember, these surveys aren't only aimed at top students at good schools. Banking is out of reach for most college students.

The Big 4 offer a starting salary that's pretty darn comfortable anywhere outside of major cities. If you went to some random midwest second-tier state school and can get a job making $45k in Milwaukee, that's probably pretty appealing.

There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

99% of schools in the U .S. are not considered targets for investment banks. Most people don't even know what they do and it's a fabled dream. Say you are one of 20,000 kids going to a third tier state school. The best names are big 4 accounting firms. You won't even see GS/MS/etc.

If they did a "world's most attractive employers 2010 for top 1% of colleges", you'll probably see a difference.

Edit: kenny powers didn't see your post, basically agree with you.

Best Response

Big 4 has quite the racket, it goes like this:

PCOAB requires that you major in accounting and get 150 credit hours to sit for the CPA and a certain number of audit hours to get licensed once you pass.

In order to get your your accounting degree and your 150 hours, you take all your school's accounting classes and often times get a MACC. Accounting professors get fat off teaching easy courses year after year and selling text books that change every time the PCOAB changes the formatting of a paragraph.

Once you graduate, you need to go work for a public accounting firm for a few years to get your CPA. Your professors relentlessly pimp the Big 4 (and a handful of second-tier firms big enough to endow accounting chairs), and they took you to a nice lunch when they visited campus, so why not? Sure consulting/banking/F500 pays a little more off the bat, but you're promised big raises and better hours than consultants or bankers.

Now that the Big 4 and your professors have convinced you to take their collusively set starting salary, Big 4 partners get fat off providing a low-value-add service nobody wants by paying you and your immediate superiors shit and working you hard (not banking hard, but still).

Once the Big 4 partner gets tired of all that golf, they go become accounting professors and PCOAB board members.

On top of that, the structure limits the Big 4's employees on the audit side to the kind of person who decides as a 19 or 20 year old they'd really like to be an accountant. Not exactly a recipe for an workforce that'll stand up and demand to get paid.

There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

I have a lot of friends who are accountants and they slave away non stop. I think the hours are only slightly better than banking.

Real funny tid bit. Back when I was with HSBC a friend of mine graduated UG at a tiny school and got an offer in Syracuse with an accounting firm. Base was 50K.

MAcc, NYC, Big 4, salary is 6K more. Talk about an insult.

The hours can seem bad, but they still don't compare to banking. Auditors have brutal stretches during the busy season but depending on the office and group they can get serious down time over the summer or between clients.

When I worked for a Big 4 consulting group we thought our hours were bad (and our group had a reputation for having long hours vs other groups in the firm). Some of my friends now work as bank analysts and they can tell you, there's a big difference between 9am-10pm or midnight every day and 9am-2am every day. Now, you get paid a ton more and you have better exit ops, so c'est la vie.

Accounting firms are notoriously bad about cost of living adjustments. In our NY office there was a lot of grousing about the fact that we were only making a few k more than people in the Atlanta, Minneapolis and Denver offices.

Google recruits for many back office positions (non programmers) at state schools. Check your facts. Plus they don't care about your school as much, there are plenty of top state school kids there.

Plus, more people have heard of Google and knows what it does and how their shares went through the roof and every person holding Google stock (including janitors) got supposedly rich.

however, to this day, few laymen (including state school kids) can name the banks or even what the banks do.

boutiquebank4life:
Google recruits for many back office positions (non programmers) at state schools. Check your facts. Plus they don't care about your school as much, there are plenty of top state school kids there.

Plus, more people have heard of Google and knows what it does and how their shares went through the roof and every person holding Google stock (including janitors) got supposedly rich.

however, to this day, few laymen (including state school kids) can name the banks or even what the banks do.

I think quality of life is a huge thing with google too. Bringing your dog to work and shit like that goes a long way with a lot of people. More so than pounding your fingers on the keyboard until they're bloody nubs working on excel.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

boutiquebank4life:

do you have a link to stats that show proof to support your claims? not trying to challenge you or being sarcastic, im just curious to learn about the recruiting process at Google, especially when you're not an engineering major

Investment banks recruit for many back office positions (non bankers, S&T) at state schools. Check your facts. Plus they don't care about your school as much, there are plenty of top state school kids there.

I'm not sure what points you are trying to make after that. That's pretty much what I'm saying in that there are a lot of reasons people choose the industry that they are in, and it's not just because they couldn't get into banking.

Doloribus dolores voluptas qui sint. Harum ut et quos illum sapiente. Non perferendis in voluptatem sed enim aut consequuntur. Consequatur ratione aut consequatur consequatur sapiente natus perspiciatis.

-MBP

Voluptate numquam illum pariatur suscipit illo. Aperiam similique non omnis maiores libero voluptate expedita. Dolorem distinctio aut et est nihil perspiciatis.

Sit provident dolorum eos. Enim facere corporis quibusdam molestiae eligendi neque. Iure quisquam beatae voluptas. Ut libero ipsam sunt.

Inventore beatae asperiores ut a laborum eius architecto nihil. Mollitia ea magni facilis consequatur sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”