KONY 2012 - Spread the word.

Spread the word.

"KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice."

Thanks everyone.

You must be kidding. LRA is one of the most vile groups in the region, and that's saying a lot. Children mercenaries, child slaves, sex slaves, child sex slaves, gun running, drug running, blood diamonds, blood money, blood oil, piracy, links to basically every mafia and terrorist group from Italy to China...

Kony is was/is a regular customer of Viktor Bout. What you smoking man? This guy is no Mandela.

He's another Charles Taylor waiting to hit the big time.

Get busy living

UFOinsider:
You must be kidding. LRA is one of the most vile groups in the region, and that's saying a lot. Children mercenaries, child slaves, sex slaves, child sex slaves, gun running, drug running, blood diamonds, blood money, blood oil, piracy, links to basically every mafia and terrorist group from Italy to China...

Kony is was/is a regular customer of Viktor Bout. What you smoking man? This guy is no Mandela.

He's another Charles Taylor waiting to hit the big time.

Not sure if troll or....

Did you even watch the movie? It's to raise awareness.

Best Response

Turtle, thanks for passing that link along. I saw the KONY 2012 video yesterday and felt that there might not be something right about the whole thing. Removing one 'dictator' in an unstable country just lends itself to the unintended consequences of another.

I'm just glad there is a (somewhat) opposing view on the topic. The guy is clearly bad, no doubt about it, but what happens when he is dead and/or gone? Who takes over all the child soldiers? Someone better or someone worse?

Additionally, I was trying to think through how successful this will be. At what point does the 'bystander effect' kick in with the proliferation of this 'cause' being spread through the internet so quickly? I'm sure to see many more of my FB friends repost the video, but at what point to be see it everywhere and just assume other people are taking care of it, so passing the video along was their contribution to the cause?

I know some people here are skeptical of the US government but to think that they don't know, or don't care, about this situation seems unlikely. It would likely be a breeze to send in some special forces and take this guy out and we haven't...maybe there is a reason. I don't know, maybe the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Whgm45:
Love how everyone's jumping on the Kony 2012 bandwagon now, dude has been committing genocide for over a decade. Learn to read a newspaper, sheesh.

That's probably my biggest problem with this whole campaign. People often do things out of guilt. Most days you can hide from and/or avoid that feeling by walking or driving a certain route to work or crossing the street early, etc. but the deployment of this campaign via social media makes it almost impossible to hide from initially. This is why you will see it everywhere over the next week or so and it will likely die off. Today it is in your face, on WSO, on FB, etc. but eventually most people will have seen it and feel they know what's going on and that because of all the virtual support that the 'problem' is being solved. That probably won't be the case, but whatever. This scenario reminds me of when I often hear people talk about the homeless. I've mentioned in conversations before that I rarely give money to homeless people because I don't think it does much good. People will chastise me and ask how I can not give away money to someone that needs it more then me. I often ask them, why they do. Their general response is that they feel bad for them...which is fine, I do as well, but not enough to compel me to give them money. It's not because I'm an asshole, it's because I think a bit further past just handing the guy $5. I think about how much more efficiently that $5 could be used at a homeless shelter to feed several people.

But for most people it's about alleviating themselves of that guilt they would have otherwise felt by not giving them something because most of the time they can avoid thinking about the poor and downtrodden they don't actually see or physically encounter.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

cphbravo96:
Whgm45:
Love how everyone's jumping on the Kony 2012 bandwagon now, dude has been committing genocide for over a decade. Learn to read a newspaper, sheesh.

This scenario reminds me of when I often hear people talk about the homeless. I've mentioned in conversations before that I rarely give money to homeless people because I don't think it does much good.

Regards

Not sure why I'm so passionate about this 2012 Kony deal, but I respectfully disagree for one simple reason.

You can't equate a homeless person with a helpless child. The homeless guy did it to himself, the children/families have done nothing to deserve anything that Kony has done to them. If this happened in the states Kony would have been taken down after the first day.

I don't feel guilty, I feel sympathetic. And I feel that people hate being discomforted by other peoples discomfort.

If me posting a simple facebook about it can make five people post and so on, even if the group had a .1% increase in chance in taking this guy down, it'd be worth it. And if I ruin someones day because they enjoy staying in their protected bubble then so be it.

I would like to echo much of what CPH said. Any progress by people ACTIVELY making the world a better place is a great step. Having Kony rot behind bars would be nice. I hope the dude catches a bullet to be honest. The intentions of the organizers are noble.

My problem lies in the execution of the idea. If a person wants to send emails to a congressman or graffiti their neighborhood with banners and stickers and whatnot that is their decision. My problem lies in the fact that the US GI doesn't have that decision to make - he has to put his life and existence at stake for a cause that Youtube nation deems worthy. People are quick to demand action, and have the military "step-in." However, they forget that the military is a 19 year old working-class kid in combat boots, who is likely scared shitless. Just because they are "advisors" does not mean that their lives are any less at risk. While I support the movements goals I can't get behind its execution.

Minus cumque consequatur animi rerum et omnis ipsa. Odit ut excepturi ut ut rerum. Dignissimos enim occaecati qui. Voluptatem ad exercitationem quaerat est deleniti. Voluptates consequuntur qui esse doloremque aut et.

Autem ea odit quod ut dolorem porro. Voluptatem modi temporibus ipsa architecto ratione. Ut ut rerum illum autem minus possimus est.

Omnis nobis earum voluptatem laudantium rerum. Vero aspernatur sit voluptatem quia magni dolor et. Illo corrupti quis ut nihil molestiae ipsam vitae odit. Excepturi voluptas eos sit placeat labore aut.

Quam dolores voluptatum rerum ullam voluptas eum rem. Saepe quia sunt porro. Quasi ut dolorum velit aut sed eos dolorum.

Minima qui accusamus ratione in quam ipsum est. Iusto ducimus ex laboriosam et accusamus est velit. Alias atque voluptatem ut id harum autem nostrum. Incidunt quia nihil voluptatibus quam.

Consequuntur ut ut eligendi numquam quo aut. Dolorem incidunt voluptates dolor suscipit itaque aut.

Recusandae doloremque animi ad sed laudantium ipsam. Recusandae praesentium dignissimos et commodi non in est. Veniam laudantium nemo vitae nihil magnam ut assumenda quia. Alias quasi cumque quia cum sunt nulla quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”