Summer interns 2014 - mid-season check in for managers

People managing summer interns this summer - how are your interns going?

Mine is doing well. He's keen, he does the work, he does the hours (although ours are pretty light - rarely past 9pm), he shows he can analyse and contribute in meetings. I also got him to build some shelves for our desks and his woodwork on that job was respectable.

We've got 2 interns in our team and the other intern (managed by a team member) is doing fine as well.

So, all around, kids these days seem pretty good from my perspective.

What are other people's experiences?

Not too bad. Really trying to drill SELF REVIEW. Lots of them seem to rush through tasks without stopping to check if it is correct.

"Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money." - Mickey Bergman - Heist (2001)

AcctNerd:

Not too bad. Really trying to drill SELF REVIEW. Lots of them seem to rush through tasks without stopping to check if it is correct.

oooh that's my problem too. except my work's always right
heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

His attitude has improved, but the quality of work is still poor and his turnaround times are a little longer than I would reasonably expect. He has, however, become more receptive to my feedback on how to improve errors and oversights.

I don't have an intern but here are my thoughts on an MD. I'm an ER associate.

They don't like criticism. On more than one occasion I found mistakes in their work which I then made copies of with proper editing. After thanking me they will proceed to rationalize their mistakes in the most absurd manner. That doesn't seem too bad right? Well not necessarily... except their grammar and punctuation are not up to what I would call an acceptable level. Dear MD you moved to the US decades before I was born, stop spending money on watches and spend some on a hooked on phonics. I can hardly understand what you are saying half the time. Luckily for you I care about my job so I'm just going to start Rosetta Stone already.

This particular MD also doesn't seem to believe in basic hygiene. Either that or they just have an aversion to washing their hands. I say that because their keyboard looks like what I imagine it would look like if an autistic monkey had a seizure... and was eating cheetos... and it's hands are dirty...and it vomits all over everything.

But wait it gets better. MD doesn't know how to use a computer correctly, smh, so of course they call me over for help daily!

I feel like I am taking crazy pills... If I was an MD and they were a college student looking for an FT ER associate position I would have dinged them. You can't write, and I'm fucking suspicious of your ability to read.

Harum et ut laboriosam. Consequatur eum repellat aliquid quam autem ea. Consequatur tempora eum provident et id qui ut qui. Expedita totam sed hic optio reiciendis.

Labore ut aperiam dolore qui quis. Autem eligendi magni aut eaque possimus adipisci corrupti. Quod esse sed eligendi eius dicta laborum velit. Similique et placeat est. Commodi quia deleniti possimus tempore ratione. Est provident et totam debitis consequatur inventore aperiam voluptate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”