Who the f*ck is paying $8000+ rent in New York

I have been looking for a new place recently and seeing as I am in the market for a 2 bedroom, naturally I get a lot of expensive listings. 

But what boggles my mind is the sheer amount of $10k, $15k, $20k even $50k+ per month listings I run into during my searches. At the point where you are spending over 120k to 600k per year on rent why not just buy a nicer place and pay less with a mortgage

The only reasonable scenario I can think about is an overseas billionaire or their family having business in NY and knowing they would stay for about 8 months to 1 year. Anything other than that scenario is cartoonishly foolish especially if the person is American and has family in the city no matter how much money they make. 

I believe once you spend over $8k on rent you are just trying to be bad with money intentionally. Even if you are on a $1m per year that is a huge fucking waste of money with taxes and other lifestyle expenses included (judging from the rent I suspect such a person would have other ridiculous spending habits). 

On this forum, I have previously asked and have been genuinely curious as to how some MD's in finance and other uber high earners make it to their 50s with zero savings and have their lives fall apart when they retire, get fired or have their business or source of income dry up. I guess one reason is by doing stupid shit like this. 

Does anyone know anybody paying these levels in rent, if so why? Otherwise would love to hear your opinion.

Well. you can be saving ~$50k a year and investing that if you got a $4k/month apartment instead of $8k/month ($4k can get you a really nice apartment). Imagine stashing in the $50k a year you're now saving into the market each year for the next 5-10 years, you will have millions over a decade through the compounding effect. 

The other poster gave a pretty good answer. In addition to what they said:

1) cost to purchase: in addition to the down payment, you have closing costs, including mortgage recording tax and mansion tax in nyc. When we closed on our apt, closing costs were ~$100k

2) selling costs: when/if you sell you then have to potentially pay some flip taxes and you have 6% broker fees.

3) carry costs: this was already mentioned, but taxes and HOA can add up. An an example, I live in a nice condo, the taxes alone are over $4k/month and HOA another $2k so my carry costs without a mortgage are $6k/month

4) optionality: many people don’t live forever in nyc and if you have to get up and move you have a pretty illiquid asset. At the higher prices homes can sit on the market for 6-12+ months, that can be a real pain if you need to carry 2 homes 

5) it’s not always what it seems: you may see some reasonably priced apts in certain areas, but real estate in Manhattan is weird and requires some research. Many of these will be co-ops that require 80-100% cash (so can’t take advantage of low rates). With co-ops you also run the risk of land lease buildings (those that don’t own the actual land the building is on) that may be up for renewal (huge monthly maintenance increases) or some that need significant work and are about to charge massive assessments to the owners. Remember, at a co-op you own a share of the building and some of these are pretty old, so you are running some real risks (I’ve seen apts listed for $500k because they had upped the monthly maintenance to $18k/month due to the land lease issue)

I ultimately chose to buy, but as the other person said, if you pick an apt and look at the rental vs purchase costs, in NYC it almost always makes sense to rent it, take the difference in costs and invest that (including down payment, etc). An issue becomes if your max budget to buy is $10k a month and you end up renting for $10k, rather than seeing what $10k buys you and realizing you can rent that for $7k and then invest the $3k. It isn’t as clear cut as you think it is, I would research some of it first. 

The logic of buying over renting is not always true. It completely depends on your scenario. My brother is in the market for a house and is in a MCOL to HCOL market. Houses are about $1.4M for about 3k SQFT. Not terrible, but not unreasonable for newer construction. Anyways the property tax alone is about $30K. HOA is about $2K. Insurance maybe about $1500. Repairs may be a bit less, but lets assume you sink in $2500 a year depending on the age of the home. So he would be spending $36k (3K per month) just in fixed costs. This does not include his interest just the cost of simply owning it.

His apartment is 3BD apartment is running him about $2300 a month. So just on fixed costs he is saving $700 per month without even factoring his interest payments. Yes I am aware there is a size difference in SQFT, but nonetheless, his apartment is very large.

One other major point people completely forget is closing costs. Depending on where you buy you have to pay transfer taxes and various local fees. For something of the house he is looking at, he might sink about $30K just for closing, some places are more or less. So technically his cost of being in that house is no longer $1.4M, but $1.43M. Now based on a broker commission of 3% plus $20k in closing costs at sale, his house would need to appreciate to $1.5M just to breakeven on closing costs.

So as a buyer you need to see price appreciation just to offset the cost of buying and selling the home, plus your losing money on the fixed costs. If you are someone that plans to move every 5-7 years, home ownership is not worth it (unless you bought in at a low basis). People often get giddy and excited when their home value goes up 10%, but they don't understand the closing costs sunk into the property plus the ones they incur at the sale. In addition they forget to factor the fixed costs.

In short, that area of NYC may have fixed costs greater than $8k per month. I don't know much about NYC property taxes/insurance/HOA, but imagine they're quite heavy.

Array

Comments above are great so I will just chip in as well:

On paying high rent:

- If you look at some celebrities, or home sales that make the news, it is difficult to sell higher priced homes, mainly because the market of buyers is small as well. My brother's in-laws had an apartment in Manahattan they owned, took them years to sell after being on the market, just as an example. 

On people making a lot of money but not saving any:

- some people are natural savers, others are natural spenders. If some people make $50k a year they will spend $55K, same if they make $50M, they will spend $55M. Meaning, say you make $100K, and spend $25K on housing (25%), thats the same thing as someone who makes $2.4M spending $600k on housing. You'd probably think they could find something cheaper/buy something, but thats how some people work (actually how a lot of people work). 

I'll address the 8k to 10k market.  That is the upper end of what a 2-income family that each make 250k-500k(each) can afford.  The average price for a NYC 1-bed is like $3k, so having two people who each pay 3k for a 2-3 bedroom makes sense.  It is expensive, but if you have kids and send them to private school that is easily 30-70k extra a year per kid.  So the savings of living in a neighborhood with better schools and slightly higher rental prices can make sense.

I really have nothing more to add analytically - the commenters above have done a great job (SB all).  

What I can add is personal anecdote, in a couple of ways.  I decided to buy two years ago after spending a tremendous amount of time weighing the factors outlined in the comments above - the best I could get to was a coin flip (i.e. renting would be better 50% of the time), and that was with a model that was not that robust to changes in some key factors (e.g. if the market turned down and price appreciation moved from ~2% a year to ~0% renting was always better).  I bought because I got something unique (that you can't find on the rental market) and because I view my apartment as a place to live, not a primary mode of savings or investment.  

Second, my 3 most financially successful friends (all Partners/PMs at multi-billion funds pulling in well over $1MM+ per year) all rent at $10k+ per month for some of the reasons outlined above.  They can all afford large down payments and mortgages but have chosen not to.  One of them even bought a second home in the Hudson Valley because buying vs. renting is a calculation that should be made on a market by market basis.  

Nobody gave you shit. We just explained to you the facets you aren't thinking about. You're likely a young single person. Yes, living alone, 4-5k is nice. I'm sure there are single people who make over a million that spend more because they enjoy it and being single making over a million you can get whatever you want.

But with a wife and kids and dogs, if you're making sufficient income, a one bedroom is suffocating. I'm not sure what part of that you disagree with but as someone in that situation but also financially literate I'm happy to answer your questions

Pizz

Honestly, people should be renting for no more than $4k a month, regardless of income. I mean $4k can get you a really nice apartment

Location?

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

The other comments have done a great job here, but an $8k 2 bedroom is in a nice area and a decently nice unit. That will run you north of $2 million, and co-op/condo fees are in the thousands per month (probably $3-4k on average) on top of the mortgage.

A $4k unit in NYC is a subpar one bedroom, potentially a studio, no W/D, not really comparable to a nicer 2bdr. The people saying you can rent for no more than that have clearly never been on StreetEasy.

Array

The more you make, the better housing you can afford / want to pay for. As long as you are looking at "equivalent" rentals and places to buy, a place is just more money. Common misconception. Making up numbers, but it isn't like renting a place for $4k rather than buying a place for $1.5m makes more sense whereas buying a place for $3m rather than $8k makes more sense. It all scales up. When people bring up your argument, they are thinking well instead of renting for $8k you would buy for $1.5m, but that's not true - you're looking at scaling up to a similarly nice place. 

"Renting is throwing your money away" is also a misconception. In many ways renting is the superior long term financial decision (yes, even those renting for $25k a month, because again, their other option is buying a $6m apartment). As others have said, there are carry costs, opportunity costs of not investing, concentration risk, illiquidity risk, one-time maintenance, etc. The decision to own (going through it now) is emotional - having a place to call your own, being able to remodel how you like it, having an emotional center for a family.

I'm happy to answer any questions, but with that background, especially around the fact that both a rental and purchase would scale up together, would you still believe that renting is bad?

To add on to this, highly educated people do rent at the higher price points as a financial decision because they are somewhat disciplined / understand how it works. For many others, buying a home and having an amortizing mortgage is forced savings. People renting nice apartments in NY (not all) can understand the math that renting works out better because they can invest the difference and have the discipline to do that - the average American looks at any excess cash flow after paying their rent or mortgage and just look to spend it

As others have said, it actually doesn't make sense to purchase in NYC (especially the 1mm+ condos) unless you plan on living or holding the property for 10+ years. The HOA fees + taxes in NYC are very high, for a lot of places it ends up being the equivalent of the mortgage itself. Just by using that (not including any of the other factors others have mentioned), the break even point from your savings from renting vs. buying ends up being something like 10-20 years. 

I met a guy in NYC who owned a wine bar and we were talking about rent prices and he said the wine bar basically pays for his rent - I asked how much and he said $9,500/mo. Seemed like a lot at the time, but he had his wine bar running smooth with some good managers so he didn’t have to be there all the time. He was a senior level IB person so he also basically took all his IB income to the bank. Pretty good scenario for this guy, but he said it took a few years to make a profit on the wine bar / restaurant.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

I asked this same question but in SF before. Old MD of mine paid ~15k / month for a high rise. His reasoning was he was barely ever there, if he was he wanted some place nice and furthermore he liked to move around pretty frequently from apartment to apartment. 

This has been a really helpful thread for someone in their late 20s who's facing the same buy vs. rent dilemma and is also getting concerned about rising rent. I'll selfishly ask a question: my girlfriend and I live in a one bed and have been thinking about upgrading to a two bed. We both work a lot from home, and make $1M combined (bulk of that is me, she works in advertising) with no student loans for either of us. Let's ignore carry for now which has been coming in and is hopefully projected to grow meaningfully. What should we expect to or be justified in spending for a nice two bed? I feel like i remember in my analyst days a two bed being 6 or 7k, and anything above that people would balk at and would say 'well you should just buy', which is probably what prompted this thread in the first place. But it sounds like that's just not the case and may never be the case in manhattan anymore? For context, we've been in the same one bedroom for the last four years at a reasonable rate so i haven't really taken the time to explore the market much. 

A few things to hit on:

1. I think you got to the rent vs. buy is just up to you. For a similarly nice place, there isn't an advantage to buying (you could argue if you're going to be there 10+ years and with today's interest rates <3%, you might come out ahead buying, but generally a coin toss)

2. Are you going to have kids? Do you plan on being in this industry a long time? Those two questions are important. If you plan to have kids, I'm not saying to start saving now, but if you don't plan to have kids, you can "live it up." If you don't plan on being in the industry a long time, you may want to consider saving a bit more as your income isn't going into "perpetuity"

3. This really depends on if you're a saver or spender, and how else you like to spend money. $1m is 500-600 after tax. You could spend 8k - 10k a month if you want for a nice two bed, or a "standard but nice" 3 bed. You could spend more if you want to, just not sure if, without kids, you'll get much more out of a place (in my experience)

Thank you for this that is very helpful. We do plan on having kids though we're a few years out (need to buy that ring first!). It does sound like that upper single digit thousands though is necessary for a two bed. Pretty remarkable increase in my estimation in just a few years! Good to know that that should suffice though, I suppose all things considered it's a pretty manageable amount. And as someone earlier said, very few things as important as the place you come back to every day or increasingly these days, spend all day in. 

Out of curiosity, does a $10K/2 bed apartment in rent also get you an equivalently nice 2 bed to buy these days (ie at the same monthly payment, factoring in HOA / taxes)? or is that equation different? Sorry for using you all as my personal real estate answering service...

If you didn’t see yourself in nyc once your career was done. If you wanted to climb the corporate ladder and maybe considered positions out of state to further your career, you’d rent that high to be in luxury until you move on. Just a thought though.

Hi I know this is unrelated but can someone help me work for the JP and Morgan Chase Co I want to be investment banker on wall street one day I am from small town and I want to be in Wall Street JP And the Morgan Chase how do I become banker so I can close big deals and make money moves not just talk about them

Perferendis dolorum eligendi rerum illo iste. Maxime eum voluptas et architecto itaque. Ut facilis doloremque dolores et sed. Soluta ea quod ut. Blanditiis delectus quibusdam molestias quae nihil ex.

Rerum debitis laboriosam maxime quos quaerat commodi sint. Aliquid modi deserunt tempora aspernatur. Enim pariatur sed adipisci. Dolorem consectetur repellendus quisquam molestiae magnam. Pariatur laboriosam consequatur adipisci dolor. Libero occaecati excepturi possimus minus corrupti sint aperiam.

Quibusdam in ut necessitatibus sit officia qui ab. Necessitatibus vel et numquam ea doloribus tenetur. Maxime ipsum iste repudiandae sit id. Dolores dolor explicabo vero temporibus quae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Morgan Stanley 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (207) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (152) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”