325MM L/S HF vs. 1.9b PE

Have an opportunity to go to either platforms. Obviously the 325mm is less AUM / prestigious but the comp is the same and I feel like HF research is more interesting and you have a better opportunity to personally generate alpha / branch off.

However, I like structuring private transactions and this PE fund is clearly more “prestigious” and legitimate.

4 Comments
 
Most Helpful

Much easier to go PE --> HF than the other way around. HFs are a tough sell to get out of once you get in (depends on asset class you're focusing on). IMO, any reputable MM/UMM/MF PE will give you such an opportunity to get in the weeds on Portcos and potential buyout opportunities that it provides you with an intense investing skillset. This skillset you develop in PE is transferrable to HF, GE, VC, etc. However, the skillset you develop in HF is way different and IMO not as strong as what you would get in PE. PE on average is also less risky in terms of job stability, so i would recommend starting out in PE. Grind through it for atleast a year, and then make the decision on whether you want to move to public markets. 

 

As someone in HF land for the past several years, I second this. Do the PE first. I wouldn’t say I completely regret skipping doing a private markets investing role, but I clearly see the optionality one way and not the other. I could maybe get a PE job. Maybe doing distressed PE, but it’s much more of a struggle than going from PE to my fund I would think.

 

Et consectetur ut aut deserunt id. Nobis dignissimos veniam voluptatum velit.

Quaerat inventore voluptas quis aut consectetur. Omnis qui possimus aliquid veritatis nemo sint quasi aperiam. Praesentium illum dicta sed quo dolorem saepe in. Aut et voluptate ut at et enim. Quisquam nemo est fugiat in quo quae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Private Equity

  • The Riverside Company 99.6%
  • Blackstone Group 99.3%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.9%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.5%
  • Vista Equity Partners 98.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Private Equity

  • Blackstone Group 99.6%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 99.3%
  • The Riverside Company 98.9%
  • Ardian 98.5%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Private Equity

  • Bain Capital 99.6%
  • The Riverside Company 99.3%
  • Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 98.5%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.1%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Private Equity

  • Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (24) $547
  • Vice President (100) $364
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (106) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (235) $272
  • 1st Year Associate (414) $231
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (33) $157
  • 2nd Year Analyst (97) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (273) $126
  • Intern/Summer Associate (39) $80
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (357) $61
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”