2023 Comp Thread RE

Let's hear where comp numbers are coming out to if you have them yet. I would post mine to get us started but have yet to receive.-Firm type/risk profile (repe, lifeco, developer, etc / core, core+, value add, ground up dev, etc)-Market in which you are located-AUM range-New Title & YoE-2023 New Base-2022 bonus % and $-Add'l comp

is this normal in RE Lending? 15 years of experience and $500k seems rather low from the lens of someone in DCM. How many hours do you work a week on average?

He likely jumped around between firms / career paths. If you worked at the same debt fund for 15 years you would be an MD and be making a lot more. We’ll see what he says tho

What does a debt fund do? I always thought a debt fund was essentially a non-banks private lender, but seems like people also distinguish between underwriting and being at a debt fund. Taking it a step further, what's the difference between a debt fund vs a someone in a bank's RE lending group?

This is solid, congrats on the carry - just a few questions if you don’t mind me asking

1. Is that 8 years of experience straight out of U/G?

2. How many hours on average would you estimate?

3. How long has it taken for your carry to reach that number and when do you think it will materialize?

- for context on this, I’m trying to get a sense of how long “long term” carry actually is, or simply put how long it typically takes to actually cash out on it. Im sure it varies based on numerous factors

4. Did you start in acquisitions or a different vertical?

Sorry for the interview and thanks in advance for any response!

No problem happy to help:

1. Yes - 8 years of experience since UG. Still in my 20s.

2. 45-50 hours. But I travel almost every week for a night or two, so not sure if you count the overnights (mostly dinners and drinks w/ brokers or GPs)

3. Half of my carry is tied up in funds that were invested 2-3 years ago, and is currently paying out into the next 2-3 years (so 6 year full horizon). Given that they are mostly multifamily assets, I consider that cash at this point. It will likely outperform given where the market is. The other half is currently being deployed. I should mention that on that first half, I renegotiated my % interest about 3 years into working for the company.

4. I started at JLL as an analyst on a investment sales team (mostly focused on industrial)

Is it possible to somehow pm you? I would really like to take your advice on how to structure my carried interest. I'm in a very similar situation and could use the advice from someone a bit further ahead in the process. Thank you!

Developer

BOS/DC/LA Tier Market

AUM? No clue. Pipeline of maybe $1.5-2B I guess but these types of numbers are worthless in development

5.5 YOE

$135k Base

$105k Bonus + Carry which currently equates to about $30k/year in additional comp and increasing as more deals are added to that pool

Great hours & lifestyle, basically a chill 40-45 hrs/week job outside of closings

Seems market for experience level. Any carry interest or deal/fund participation?

Spot on...

1. Office Research Analyst - NE Secondary Market

2. One of the Top Tier Brokerages

3. 7 months YOE straight out of UG

4. $60K base

5. $1.5K bonus (rip lol)

6. 40-50 hours 

Made it clear when I got hired that I intend to be a broker 2-3 years from now, learning a lot and feeling slightly relaxed that I'm on salary for the time being...I feel poor compared to everyone in this thread though haha

I spent 5 years at an LP equity firm and then the last 4 years at current shop. 

I would part of it was right place right time. The firm I joined has seen tremendous growth and great returns. Our latest fund is 6x larger than the fund size when I first started. I also has done very well in my role started as an associate and now cover an entire region. 

Everytime I see these comp threads I am more inclined to leave development for REPE …. Sigh , maybe I should delete my account.

Not sure I know anymore than you do. First year analyst in development. I mean just look at some of the comp the REPE people here are pulling in here with 4 plus years experience. Idk if I'll hit that on the development side in 4 years. Not much more to it. Although, as someone else pointed out, a lot of the people posting here may be the ones that are really on the higher end of comp. So can't necessarily take all this info as a holistic representation. grass is always greener type of situation. Junior development comp just isn't great. Now people on this website say that as you progress farther and gain more experience, development comp can start scaling quickly. I'll believe it when I'm the beneficiary of that.

1. REPE - Acquisitions
  2. SoCal 
  3. $2b
  4. Associate (3.5 YOE) (sole associate working directly under head of acq)
  5. $103k (5% increase in base into 2022)
  6. 30k bonus two years running 
  7. Hours: ~60-70/wk 

How do you guys feel about this comp?

1. REPE - Acquisitions
  1. Tier 1
  1. Couple B AUM
  1. 3 YOE
  1. $115K
  1. $35K Bonus

Hours: 50-60 per week.

1. REPE (GP)
  1. SF but Remote
  2. 1B AUM
  3. Associate 2.5 YoE
  4.  72k
  1. 80%
  2. None

Getting pay bump this week, but unsure of what it will be, carry should be given as well. We're a small firm with only 3 people on acquisitions, so most comp is incentive based. Hoping base goes up to $100k with the next pay bump. I only work about 40-60 hours a week depending if we are closing on a deal.

What's your desire to work in real estate in SF? It's one of the worst places to work in real estate. The firms don't pay enough relative to the huge cost of living from tech workers. I could never get ahead working in SF. You have public sector employees (admins, janitors) pulling in the same $$ as an analyst. It doesn't sound like much has changed from when I worked in the city. Why put up with it? 

1. REPE (multifamily)

2. San Francisco

3. No idea

4. Asset Management Analyst, 0 years real estate experience (2.5 years tax/accounting/consulting experience)

5. $85k base

6. Not sure, somewhere between 10-20% depending on performance?

7. None that I know of, I start next Tuesday

See below for my comp range:

1. Firm type/risk profile - Investment Manager & Developer (Boutique) / Core +, Value-Add, & Opportunistic.
  2. Market in which you are located - West Coast
  3. AUM range - $1.5 B +/-
  4. Title & YoE - Director of Investments; 10 years from UG
  5. Average Hours - normal weeks = 50 hours. Occasionally (e.g. live deal) add another 10 - 15. Analyst days, on average, I was closer to 65 - 70..
  6. 2021 Compensation - $380,000, broken out as: $210,000 base, $70,000 bonus, and $100,000 carry*.
  7. 2022 Compensation - $250,000 base + 35% +/- bonus + potential carry* (if deals are realized).

*My carry is finally starting to pay out. I received $100K in 2021 and am hoping we harvest another fund in 2022. Irrespective of time, total carry I've been given should be around $1.0M. Could take 5 years before I realize all of this, but discussions are that I will continue to grow with the company as we raise more funds /acquire more deals.

Sure, it's 1.0% on all funds. No, you do not have to be a Director to earn carry. You just have to be with the firm for a certain number of years to become eligible (e.g. 3 years), and once eligible, you then have to be awarded by the founding partners. Then it has to vest. We are a small shop and do not hire directly out of UG. So because of this, Analysts / Senior Analysts wouldn't ever get it (as expected). At my company, I have seen an Associate get promoted to Senior Associate, and at this point, they got awarded carry. But then it has to vest and if you leave before it vests, you forfeit it all.

I am not saying I have the best carry structure. Likely smaller relative to others, but wanted to provide my data point as I figure the more that people start sharing details on compensation structure, the better for everyone. A few other points:

1. While to some, this isn't that much $$, however, I am just thankful that I'm in the pool and that I have a path to get more overtime.
  2. I am putting 0 capital at risk and do not have to invest my own dollars. Some companies make you co-invest, and others give you a "loan" that is deducted when promote is realized; still, you have capital at risk here.
  3. As it relates to your comment of "if" the funds materialize. I should  have specified that I have $35K of promote realized but not yet earned that will materialize this year due to vesting. Yes I know, not a huge pay day, but the popcorn money coming in is nice coming from someone that before last year was being paid solely base & bonus. 
  4. Building on #3 above, my company is super selective on our pursuits, so the ones we've acquired are performing really well. We also have to quarterly mark to market our assets, and even if we were to liquidate now (ahead of fully executing on all business plans), we will do well. Not saying this will be the case on all funds, but I have a good idea of what is to be expected on current funds.

Most Helpful

Here is the playbook for our promote structure:

1. Eligibility - Employee needs to work for the company for 3 years in order for them to be eligible for the carry pool.
  2. Award - After eligibility, founders may award carry to employees. At our company, you don't automatically just get promote if you satisfy #1. You need to be a contributor to the organization /add value. It's completely subjective.
  3. Vesting - Upon award, vesting is set at 3 years. If any promote realized is tied to the carry you've been awarded, you will be paid out based on your vesting schedule. For example /hypothetically: (1) you've been awarded 1.0% carry, (2) carry has vested for 2 years, and (3) promote of $10M is realized in calendar year 2022. At sale /promote realization, you will get a check for $66.6K ($10M x 1.0% = $100K; $100K /3 years = $33.3K; $33.3K x 2 years = $66.6K). At this point, you've realized 2/3 of carry, and upon your third anniversary of award, you will receive another $33.3K.
  4. Vesting - Leave the Company - If you leave company before your carry is vested, you forgo any carry when you leave. If you fully vest and you then leave, you get paid out on a sliding scale based on # of years since you've left. Potentially $0 if the carry is realized 4+years from your leave.
  5. Caveat to All of This - There are terms in the agreement where the founders could literally take away your carry, irrespective of vesting. Yes, I (and other team members) attempted to negotiate this clause out. However, the carry /award was a "take it or leave it" kinda thing.. This, in my opinion, was bs but nothing I could really do. I would imagine if I went to a competitor, they would NOT pay me out. I talked to some of my older mentors, and they've advised me that if I am ever in this situation, that I should lawyer up as he/they believe that there is an argument that if I was awarded and it fully vested, then I have a right to it. Even if there is a kill switch clause...

1. Firm type/risk profile One of the larger national Multi-family Developers
  2. Market in which you are located: Texas
  3. Title & YoE: Associate, 4 YOE
  4. 2022 Base $85k
  5. Expected bonus % Deal Dependent, expecting around $20k-30k 
  6. Add'l comp: Reasonable Hours

Thread has me feeling a bit underpaid but I guess most of the posts are in Gateway markets. 

Vertically integrated investor/developer

Tier 1 market

$30B+

Investment Analyst - 0 YoE

$100k

20% guaranteed bonus

Discretionary bonus (performance based and an unknown amount as of right now 🥲)

1. Large Investment Manager with $30 Billion in Real Estate (Core+ and Debt Fund)
  2. Regional office/tertiary city 
  3. Debt fund: $5 billion of committed capital 
  4. Originator, 11 years of experience (6 years research/underwriting and 5 years origination)
  5. 150k (130k in 2021)
  6. 100-150% cash bonus (120% in 2021)

Quick answer is no I don't.  However, if I hit it out of the park, I have "leverage" in the year-end performance review and that potentially leads to promotion and/or decent raise on base and high bonus %.  To be honest though, even with that, I doubt the total comp will be substantially higher.  I think the ceiling is probability 450-500k all-in.  I will have to relocate for anything above that range (was already offered ~350k all-in back in 2019 to relocate but decided to pass on that).

Debt brokerage

BOS/DC/LA Tier Market

1 yr xp

$85 base

~50% bonus

Hours ~55/week

Are you at a PGIM/ Metlife/nuveen  type firm? Or more like NWM/USAA 

Basically im just loading in RRs, T-12s, and budgets into our model and then just running an initial sizing of the loan.

If it looks good, ill send it back to the banker with notes and get it ready for submission to credit committee.

If it looks bad, instead of sending it to CC i send it back to the banker explaining why i think it won’t work.

Thats pretty much it

Corporis eum et ad tempore quia quaerat et. Est laudantium et possimus iusto. Odit eos pariatur vero assumenda voluptatum porro similique. Sit hic molestias quis voluptates omnis. Quia et ea maxime molestiae earum. Vitae explicabo et non praesentium ipsum assumenda quia.

Cumque qui velit ducimus non tenetur quo est. Nam accusamus dolores excepturi deleniti autem deleniti. Officiis nostrum architecto aut sint earum. Sequi eveniet dolorem voluptatem ipsum animi quis expedita.

Cum aut nostrum asperiores voluptatem excepturi illum sit. Ut tenetur labore accusantium voluptatum est. Sunt porro hic architecto dolorum quibusdam itaque. Qui atque at voluptatibus est omnis.

Id aut assumenda perspiciatis fugiat id quam molestiae. Iusto velit fugit consequatur dolores exercitationem. Laboriosam ipsam non et et porro.

Deleniti quo modi maiores perspiciatis commodi. Corporis enim provident consequatur officiis corporis dolorem. Maxime et qui totam nam ea. Dignissimos quibusdam saepe et soluta possimus. Ut debitis corrupti labore voluptatum cupiditate qui ab. Sit necessitatibus quia velit corporis tempore iste esse. Est iste velit unde iusto ipsa neque cumque.

Sit possimus commodi necessitatibus nihil provident eum. Aperiam neque est corporis id ducimus omnis.

Aliquid sit ea facilis repudiandae. Tenetur officiis distinctio soluta. Eos saepe quo deleniti.

Illum sunt ipsa dolor adipisci qui vitae. Provident exercitationem minima voluptates eum suscipit eaque. Officia autem id reprehenderit delectus quibusdam dolores voluptatibus. Minima maiores omnis sit voluptatem quasi.

Ea rerum enim odit a totam. Omnis ipsa aliquam ducimus earum eos. Dolorem dolor nemo voluptatem deserunt exercitationem. Praesentium aut incidunt rerum corporis. Omnis quia enim quia occaecati eligendi vitae. Et porro est aliquam impedit voluptatum. Rerum a quia sit eaque minus voluptatibus enim at.

Sed quod non qui. Ad qui et ea eligendi dolor. Facilis vero provident officia ipsam odit aut labore hic. Sint iure qui eum cupiditate magni. Dolores voluptatem deserunt velit dolores aut perspiciatis labore. Veritatis ut nam eum corporis impedit asperiores. Voluptas deleniti aut a et aut aut.

Architecto dolorem in ea a incidunt inventore culpa. Natus dolorem assumenda nesciunt laboriosam blanditiis temporibus ipsa. Qui ut qui vel sed. Quod excepturi odit adipisci ad qui. Quo necessitatibus quia quia dolorem ipsum aut est. Nesciunt quo culpa quod perspiciatis.

Nihil dicta porro beatae nihil ut nesciunt maiores adipisci. Omnis aut eos natus et.

Eveniet exercitationem laboriosam nihil facilis rerum. Et sed molestias consequatur rerum et delectus nihil. Et ipsum aut molestiae consectetur quae dolores. Perspiciatis ipsa accusamus adipisci. Explicabo cum corporis quas quos omnis aut dolore.

Perspiciatis consequatur laudantium aut perferendis quo cum. Cum beatae minus quia reprehenderit. Qui omnis quae occaecati consequatur sunt perferendis consequatur. Et qui natus sequi ad unde. Ea aut et at ipsum voluptatem qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”