From IB to BB trading or prop trading (junior level)
For the context, I'm French, 24 y.o., top 3 French engineering school and top 3 MSc Finance in the UK!
That being said, Im coming to you as I plan to redirect from IB - where I was doing Project Finance - to trading. I feel like it's the only field of finance where it will be quantitative enough for me and not too repetitive. I chose Project Finance as it's really technical and complex but I already feel like things are gonna be repetitive. I'm young I might as well try something else!
I have a few questions! Some help will be appreciated :)
1) From what I have seen preparing for interviews, they are gonna differ afirms ( , ...) where it is mostly and mental calculation without much financial knowledge and BB ( , JP...) where it is going to be way more technical with proper finance questions. Am I right?
2) What are the differences in the daily lives of a prop trader vs a BB trader?
3) How is job security in the field? I understand there is a high turnover in prop trading firms, partly due to layoffs. Should be lower in BB I would guess? For a trader getting fired after ±1 year, is it hard to find a job again?
4) What are the possible exits from this field?
5) How will my story be seen by recruiters? I have tried to explain my path and choices in my cover letter and I hope my absence of experience in the field will not prevent me from getting into trading. Do you think I stand any chance?
6) If you guys had any resources to share for interviews, it would be really helpful! I have already done everything on graduatetrader and plays rankyourbrain daily for the mental math/.