Silver BananaTopicReplies
What should I do

emma915

I have always wanted to be a salesperson. I interned at Lehman in the finance support group for their Equity sales force. I now works as an IB analyst for a MM canadian bank. I have 1 year of IB experience. I really want to know how I can jump ship to a sales position. would my IB expereince be any ...

52 week % vs YTD %

dpiderit

quick and probably dumb question but what's the difference between the 52 week % change in a stock price vs the YTD % change, isn't 52 weeks a year? so why isn't it the same?...

SUSQ versus CITI

tizdo

Between Citigroup and Susquehanna, I was just wondering which company would be the best to work at for an entry level trading position? On one hand I can imagine there's more mobility around a giant financial services conglom like CITI, but I've heard much praise about Susquehanna's maths and statis...

Importance of Firm

jtmarlin

One of the reasons I chose trading is because it seemed to be more of a meritocracy than any other kind of job. If you're good, you're good; it doesn't matter that you don't work at a BB or a Tier 1. It seems like a majority of the bankers are extremely concerned with the firm/group in which they ...

Trading assistant salary

BionikBlue

Hi, I've recently applied for a TA position (I am almost done with my undergraduate degree) and would like to know what kind of salary to expect. This position is in Canada so it probably will be lower than in the US, but I would like to get as much info as possible. Thanks for your help!...

What is most exciting about it?

dpiderit

What is it of Sales and Trading that excites you the most? (not the money please) Why did you decide to go into S&T over other branches of IB and over other type of carreers? I'm interviewing for a S&T internship soon and I want to get some answers to these questions to see if I can relate to that o...

Derivative Marketer ?

Gordon_Gekko

hi Jimbo - could you pls explain it here cheers, Gordon ...

Fixed Income vs. Currencies vs. Commodities at GS FICC

Ken0122

Which division generates the highest revenue among the three?...

+1
Do many move from IB to trading?

suckermc

Do many move from IB to trading?...

Prop trading vs Flow/Market Making

Rody

I assume most traders at banks are engaged in flow trading rather than prop trading (although I guess all traders must have some proprietary component to their work). Do most flow traders aspire to become prop traders? Or do people stick to flow trading their entire career? Are exit opportunities fo...

Fixed-Income Trader or Structurer?

Shadymonkey

Alright, I just got an offer from RBS in its fixed income department. Given my quantitative background, I was given the option of doing either trading of structuring. I would like to know what people think about it and what the exit opportunities are for each. Salary wise? Thanks in advance....

Putting up your own capital

tuneman

To enter a trading firm. I know some of them aren't legit, but if you know the guys running it, can it be a good idea? I am straight out of college, I was really looking for a salary position, but unfortunately this might be all I can find. Is it worth it?...

Undergrad Degree

newhorizons

I know everyone must be sick of the undergrad degree talk....but what degree is best suited to break into trading. I'm getting an accounting degree and could get a finance degree as well but I would have to stay an extra semester in school. Should i just drop accoutning and focus on finance if tradi...

Some things you can brush up to help for S&T

Jimbo

First, read Liar's poker. Second, especially if you have interest in derivatives, learn about the main pricing models, and the various risks associated with derivatives. Read the Hull book. Third, if you can't back it up, don't put it on your resume....

Which would be more advantageous

tuneman

I know it depends on many circumstances, but what would you think would be better for someone looking into trading: Getting a job as a trader/trader assistant with a new hedge fund that is starting up, or working for one of the big banks going for an analyst position. I am leaning towards the hed...

Any UM grads here?

dpiderit

Hey! I'm new to the forum. I'm a sophomore at the University of Miami. Trying really hard to intern at a bb in S&T. Anybody from Miami also?...

Which Undergraduate Education option?

deadjackal

In your opinion, which do you think is better for attaining a Sales & Trading job in London and New York respectively? (Please explain your answer) London School of Economics for a BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics or Columbia University for a BS Operations Research: Financial Engineering...

Structured Credit vs. Prop Trading

mz2k06

I need to make a decision between two offers. Both offers are at BB banks; one is in structured credit focusing on synthetic CDOs; the other is under proprietary trading focusing primarily on the commodities sector. The names for the banks are about equal so no difference in terms of name recogni...

Wachovia S&T First Round

desecrato

From a blind resume submission on their resume, I secured a first round telephone interview. Who knew that those resumes were actually reviewed! What will I be asked? What's the culture like? Where will I be based (Charlotte or NYC)? What do they excel at? Or where could I find the answers to the...

derivatives desk

jerseyboy11

how much of a math background is necessary for derivatives structuring? how difficult is it to get a position at a derivatives desk?...

The Hottest Desk

Anonymous Monkey

Which trading desk/product is the hottest -the most stressful, choatic, and high bonus market around....

Microtrading at GS?

y7

Does anyone know the function of the microtrading desk at GS? I have a third round interview with them, but I've yet to find someone who knows what instruments they deal in. Thanks....

Buy Side

Tiki

I'm a 25 year old buy side execution trader for a global bank. does anyone have any experience/suggestions as to where people in my position have gone to from my current position? It seems like the job I'm in now would be a great job to have when I'm 45 and have nothing to prove and just want to c...

Questions for SA '07 S&T

How to save a life

I will be interviewing for a S&T Summer Analyst position in a few weeks and I was wondering what to expect. How many interviews? How long for each interview? I would like to get into credit derivatives, should I indicate that during the interview?...

Equity Desks

Ivybred800

Are equities truly dead? I feel as though Fixed Income's popularity is merely cyclical right now. For an individual exploring s&t offers at the BB's and other trading firms, would it be best to go into Fixed Income or into Equities? Discuss......

Are we seeing a vol regime change?

zhang18

VIX index has spiked and dropped. Where is it gonna settle?...

+1
BB Sales and Trading

Jaspast06

I just started a job as a credit trader at a middle market investment bank. Solid name, but not bb. It is quite clear how much the job has changed from the last 5 years just from my understanding of this. I am curious though.. This sales and trading is a lot of fun, but since there is so little bal...

+4
Commodities Trading Internship Interview

WBdd

Hey everyone, I am a new user here so if I screw up etiquette wise please forgive me. I am a junior at UofM studying economics (econometrics and international economics mainly) and I somehow landed an interview with Morgan Stanley for a commodities trading internship. It is a 2 hour long interview...

+1
What are the different desks at your bank?

Mike Babcock

Wondering if someone could chime in on the different desks that their bank has and what might be an example of a type of transaction that might go on for the desk. Trying to learn a little about what different desks are out there and what kind of clients you might have. For example: Cash Equities:...

+1
Client-Facing Jobs

MonkeyPoop

Hello WSO, I spent a lot of time reading on these forums for advice, information regarding various roles, and ultimate career goals. I am 30, and realized that I enjoy more the social-sales aspect (helping others and such) as a client-facing type as oppose to working with metrics/analytical work. ...

+1
Sports Trading Career

ipandabear1

This is a long shot, but can anyone works in the sports trading industry share their experience? Just wondering how to get into the Sports trading industry; i have s&t internship experience and math degree, how can i make myself better suited for those jobs? I know that most of the jobs are in Eur...

+1
ABS Trading and Credit Derivatives Trading

Mr. Emeka

Hi, I'm a senior soon to graduate this year in a few months from a mid-tier university. I have a major in Finance and Accounting, with a minor in Math. I've been trading equity options, (including complex strats) for over 6 years now, so I know a thing or two on that end. But I wanted to get a desi...

+1
Prop Trading Interview at D.E. Shaw

yipyip

So I have a phone interview coming up for a prop trading interview and was wondering if it is just going to be the typical background questions plus a few quantitative probability/mental math/brainteaser questions. Also if I pass this round, will the next include questions that would be more typical...

+1
Goldman Sachs Securities HK Superday in NYC

zyh998

Anyone got the superday invitation? Or anyone knows about the procedure?...

+1
Chicago Trading Company interview

electricfeel

Does anyone know about the interview process for Chicago Trading Company? Brainteasers, fit, behavioral, etc? Also, I would appreciate any comments about the firm, prestige, opportunity, salary, etc. thanks...

DRW Business Analyst Interview

MMBinNC

I was wondering if anyone knew how the interview for DRW's Summer business analyst position was? Is it as technical/quant as the trading DRW interviews?...

+1
Sec Lending

AspiringGorilla

Curious to know what the exit opps for sec lending are like and the career progression from anyone who has experience in the space or knows someone, etc. I'm considering a junior position on a buy side ($10bn+ AUM HF) desk . The work doesn't seem very analytical and its very flow-y. There isn't m...

+1
Finance and Art

TXrealestate

I know I've already posted this on other boards, just want to get everyone's insight. Anyone here on the finance side of the art industry? I have been interested in this topic as of late and am struggling to find any detail on it, other than a few articles online of a shop or two. Another user post...

+1
Capital Asset Exchange and Trading, LLC

NuK85

Any insights about this firm is appreciated. Thanks. http://www.caeonline.com/ ...

+1
Trader's Skillset?

branson562

As a day trader, what actual skills do you gain? I mean, what if you realize that you suck at trading? Are you screwed or what? ...

+1
internship/training for swing trading career?

caneman9

Undergrad junior here, I know that a S&T internship at a BB bank should be number one priority, but where else should I look? I don't have the capital for prop trading now, but there has to be firms like the equivalent of boutique IBs except for trading instead out there, right? Or wrong? Just curio...

+1
Whole Loan Trading- Take Internship?

mhossain495

I just interviewed for a small firm that deals with whole loan trading. I'm looking to land a summer analyst internship in S&T. What do you think about the relevance of this internship? Here's a link to what the company does to get a better idea. http://www.globalportfolio.net/services.html...

Paulson Investment Co?

financeguy2245

So I have an interview coming up with a small boutique out of Portland Oregon called Paulson Investment Company. The job is called "Sales Associate - Private Equity," and I can't seem to find any good information on this firm online on Glassdoor or here on WSO. Anyone heard of Paulson Investment Co...

+1
strongest trading and structuring desks in Bank of America Merrill Lynch?

jjz

Do you know which trading and structuring desks are strong in Bank of America Merrill Lynch?...

+1
Top sales/trading desks at Deutsche Bank

summersalesguy

Just accepted my offer now wondering which desks at DB would be the best to rotate through for a SA. I know they have historically been top dogs in FX and strong in FI. How does strategy 2020 affect the outlook for these two areas? Seems like mortgages is a place to stay away from right now....

+1
Interview Summer Internship Morgan Stanley

memegame

Hello, I have a 1st round phone interview tomorrow for a summer internship, S&T at Morgan Stanley in London, and a VP is going to interview me. What should I expect concerning the type of questions ? More technical than motivational or the opposite ? I'm also an intern at a structuring desk current...

Simplex Investments Chicago Prop

Volatility

Anyone heard of Simplex Investments? They are a prop trading/ algo firm in Chicago. I have seen a lot of reviews from 2012 and earlier. Nothing more recent, looking for opinions on them. ...

+2
OECD: Credit is Bad for Your Economy

Learn Signal

by Dr Constantin Gurdgiev, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Finance with Trinity College, Dublin In many jurisdictions around the world, policymakers and economic analysts are keen on promoting the virtues of credit systems as drivers for growth. Even in more conservative, boom-and-bust weary econom...

Commodity Recruiters

EmpiricalTrader

Monkeys, thought I'd throw this one out to the pen. I am in the physical commodities trade currently and have been getting the itch for a new post. Ironically, a few buy-side funds and international commodity recruiters have reached out to contact me in the last couple weeks and I have taken a coup...

+1
Corporate Action Trading

johnser

Hi Does anyone know about Corporate Action trading strategies? Eg Scrip trading or trading around other corporate action events? I presume this type of trading takes place in equity finance/delta 1 space of capital markets divisions of dealer banks. Anyone with specific knowledge would be be apprec...

+1
Interview with a quant?

ButlerButler

Will be interviewing with a quant at a major BB in Sales and Trading based in Asia....any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

+1
UBS Trading Analyst - Behavioral questions

mb_2

I have a second round phone interview with UBS for 2014 Graduate Trading. What type of behavioral and technical questions should I expect? I had a first round interview with a recruiter. She just asked a few of behavioral and 1 or 2 technical question....

+1
Wikinvest Equivalent for Interactive Brokers?

No1Special

As do many here, I use Interactive Brokers to trade my PA. But it does not seem possible to synchronize it with the Wikinvest platform the same way you could, say, a Schwab account. It simply does not seem to be one of the compatible brokers. Does anybody know a way to get around this, or of a servi...

Pages