Trending Content (see all)Replies
+30
AMA: I'm a Dry Bulk Physical Trader

UnfinishedSentenc

I'm a Physical Trader in the Asia region and look after a combined book of +1Mt for origination and sales of dry-bulk commodities. My background has been in some way or form of international trade, with 6+ years in operations before getting into a trading gig. I trade majority of dry bulk...

+9
Front Office Market Risk

The Original Mark Hannah

Lads, I’m constantly seeing people on LinkedIn, and on job offers that say “Market Risk Front Office position” etc. I also have a friend that just put on his LinkedIn header “Market Risk front office at Bank X (BB)” I tried to ask and he says that is because they meet clients...

+5
Bloomberg Terminal Purpose

enterprisevalued26

Do asset managers have Bloomberg simply for research or is it mostly used to place trades? What is the best research tool to use in sales and trading?

All Pods
All Events
Recently Active Topics
Replies
First New York

omega

Hi, I have an offer at this firm, but they want a decision on the offer asap and I still have interviews at BBs and HFs for the summer. Is this firm on par with the banks/HFs? What would you recommend I do?...

Modern Analysis

nathanielpowers

Would appreciate your advice (especially active traders, though insightful undergrads are welcome). Is modern analysis a useful class for trading? I'm pretty interested in stab art and some of the more mathematical types of trading. I know it's a theoretical class, but I'm wondering if at some point...

Corporate Finance to Sales and Trading

bcaw

I interned at an investment bank: corporate finance last summer but want to make a move to Sales and Trading.  How should I structure my pitch during the interview. Thanks....

Securitization - Pooling of assets

godofsmallthings

Hi, this may be a stupid question, but can someone please can explain the process of securitization to me. I understand it's essentially the pooling of assets and using it as collateral for a third party investment....

doostang career network

panta_rhei

Doostang is an invite-only career community started at Harvard, Stanford, and MIT. You can use Doostang to find a job or internship, network, and access valuable career information from peers and industry professionals. If you need an invitation, send me an email on pantaa.rheii(at)gmail.com bye...

Help me clarify

Blade1988

Hi everyone, I'm still not sure if I get the difference in lifestyle between fixed income and equities. The way I understand it, fixed income used to be the more prestigious thing, right? But now with the sub-prime crisis, it seems that equities would be a better choice, ceteris paribus? All those C...

Summer Associate positions (S&T)

mba09

Hi everyone, I see that people have been interviewing for summer analyst positions, but what is the time frame for summer associates? I applied at every bank online since my b-school isn't really a target and most banks come to recruit for middle/back office positions. I did my applications in Decem...

S&T - Better group in equities or fixed income?

lotus6

In your opinion which is a better group to be in, equities or fixed income?...

CS trader jumps

Disjoint

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=83122&in_page_id=34 Sad, poor guy....

Credit Suisse Asia Equities Trading

Warhawk_1

Hi all, I have a phone interview with Credit Suisse Asia tomorrow. Was curious as to whether there's anything unique in particular about the Asia offices or the equity trading operation in particular? Thanks....

Concise summary of the financial markets in China/Taiwan?

txlnghrns

It is a little hard to have the full grasp of what has been going on in the financial markets in Asia. I was just wondering those who follow it more frequently than I do can perhaps give me a small outline of what's been going on and reasons for the movement? I really appreciate this one guys....

Credit Suisse S&T Superday - What to expect?

NewIBHire27

Hey everyone, I am awaiting a response from Credit Suisse to see if I moved onto their Equities Sales and Trading superday and was wondering if anyone had any insight into what to expect during these interviews for Sales and Trading....

Comp in top HFs vs top BBs

Brahim

Hi, I'm looking at an offer in rates trading at a top BB (think GS/MS) and a junior distressed debt trading offer from a top HF (think Citadel, DE Shaw, Fortress). Both positions are Associate-level and based in London. Since I cannot figure out where I want to go based on the people/culture/job ...

Can I put this on my CV?

giancap

First off, I'm not kidding when I ask this question. I'm serious. I've developed a function where I can predict an average of how many goals can be scored(under/over) in a soccer game. I've put this in excel, and made a really useful calculator. Just based on this formula, I was able to be grow...

Switching firms during an analyst program

rogger.potter

I was curious to know how easy it is to switch firms during an analyst program in S&T or for that matter any front office position? Like for example, graduating from undergrad and then working at a top 5 BB for one year, and then switching to another top 5 BB during the second year of my analyst pro...

Applying to Equites AND Fixed Income?

big unit

Hey At my school several firms divide their S&T into Equities or Fixed Income, and you apply to each separately. I'm planning on applying to both. Anyone else have any input? Should I just apply to one and will applying to both irritate them or something? ...

Bear or UBS for Equities?

mack387

Which would be a better place to start your career in S&T. Thanks ...

Equity Research Summer Intern at Merrill, but want to do S&T

rogger.potter

Hey everyone, I got a summer offer for Merrill Lynch Equity Research, how hard do you think it will be to intern in Research, but then interview and get a full time offer in S&T for the full time analyst program within Merrill Lynch?? ...

+1
Credit Suisse S&T?

Shadow Rider

I'm applying to Credit Suisse Equties S&T as a summer analyst, can anyone give me some background info on Credit Suisse Equities S&T? What in general is their S&T department known for? Also, on the application there's an option for S&T or just trading, would the difference be that they would only c...

Prop Firms

yesman

Are there any good prop shops along the lines of First New York, Trillium, SIG, DRW, etc......that specialize in fixed income products? Seems like most of the firms I know trade equities, derivatives, and options, mostly....

Assessing competitiveness

timergooff

I am a junior undergrad at a target, doing operations research. I have a 3.5 GPA and one summer experience at a small hedge fund. I know the economy is bad and alot banks are reducing hires, so realistically, I want an assessment on what kinds of place I can land this coming summer. Thank you in adv...

League Tables - Ranked in particular commodities?

panta_rhei

Hi, is there any kind of league tables where I can see banks ranked in particular areas like commodities, interest rate products, etc...? or where can i just find data about the volumes in the specific area? I only know the one from thomson, but they only show debt capital as a whole... thanks i...

Which Choice to Make?

bsdphantom

I posted this in Ibanking discussion also, figured I should post it here too. Which is a better choice for a summer internship in NYC (im interested in trading): -Brown Brothers Harriman trading internship or -Barclays Capital risk management internship and then get to know some traders at Bar...

Hedging choices

Jimbo

This was a question in another thread. Hedging choice can have a massive effect on some desks, less on others. It's related to product and by extension liquidity. There are desks for which the hedging choice is clear and readily available. Something like FX spot is a clear example....the markets ar...

A position in trading

trend_trader

Is it really true that personal trading experience (in your home account) can actually hurt you since they usually like to mold their new hires ? I feel that the stock market knowledge and experience trading in your account could still be very helpful. Any information on this are welcomed. Thanks....

SIG and DRW

curious2007

Hi everyone, I have two offers: SIG Quantitative Assistant Trader DRW Quantitative Research Which firm do you think has a better reputation? Which one of these positions do you think would increase my career options more down the road? ...

Bank-Sponsored Trading Games - Relevancy?

big unit

How relevant are these? JP Morgan had a Fantasy Futures trading game, Morgan Stanley also had a trading game. I'm wondering if placing well on these (top 10 for a couple of weeks in the nation or something) would look good on a resume/cover letter. Obviously people win these by taking absurd amou...

what WE would be useful for learning to me?

Foubert

If I was to send in a CV and letter to get informal work placements (as in not structired internships) hoping to last around 3 months to the following places, 1)Is there a good chance if I show interest, and 2) How valuable would this be in terms of learning about trading/HFs/financial markets in ge...

When did you learn derivatives in school

trade4size

For finance majors at my school they offered one derivative class, and one class on fixed income (geared mostly towards banking) both were 400 level classes geared towards seniors. I have been amazed that so many juniors on this forum know so much about derivatives/fixed income in the fall of their...

Does anyone know anything about ConAgra Trade Group

ojswhitebronco

Does anyone know anything about this place target schools, types of trading physical, hedging stuff like that. ...

Looking to do some reading...

fibows

Any good links/books you can recommend to get introduced to Sales & Trading? About how everything works, strategy, etc.? I have the Vault Guide to Sales & Trading, but was looking for something else as well. I'm looking to know more about equity trading in general, if possible....

Need some advice on choosing 2 offers

chron

I am graduating from a University in Shanghai, China with a physics major. However I am planning to work for financial companies. Now I've got 2 offers and they are given by 2 different newly-openned branch companies of hedge funds. Both in Shanghai. a. The first one is a trader's position. I'll b...

Boutique Trading Firms

hodeez

Everyone knows the bulge bracket firms generates revenue from sales and trading. Everyone also knows that they generate revenue from investment banking (i.e. corporate finance). There are investment banking boutique/MM firms. Are there any sales and trading boutique/MM firms, and if so, can y...

Reputation?

What is the "view" of prop trading firms in NYC? I am late to the party to try and land a gig at a big firm on the trading desk, but something about joining a prop shop makes me think I can rise faster. How is this type setup viewed? What are the exit opps? How well would you place into a top mba ...

UBS invite only networking session Stamford CT...anybody?

mack387

Has anyone been through this already? They even asked what my preference was within the trading floor. If anyone else has been through the interviewing process with UBS S&T in CT, any details would be great thanks. ...

ML and Citi - What are they known for?

dvd56x

What are the good desks in these shops (for example DB is know for fixed income in general, JP is known for commodities)? I'm writing out cover letters and I'm not really sure what these firms are best at. Also if you know, I'm not sure about the following banks either: B of A, Lazard Capital Mark...

BP internship

pongo

There has recently been a job posting at my school for a "Commercial Analyst" internship at BP. The job descrption reads: As an intern you will be exposed to the operations of an aggressive, growing energy marketing firm with a strong North American focus. You will meet the marketers and traders ...

Grad School - Trader

fafa

If you are a trader who wants to go to grad school - MBA or MS in Finance? and where......

Pissing off firms by dragging on my decision on offer?

stabart

I'm trying to decide between a few FT associate-level trading offers (some sell-side, some buy-side). While my offers will technically not expire for another month or so, the firms I'm looking at are putting me under a lot of pressure to make a decision right now. I don't feel ready to commit yet, t...

Rank Fixed Income Trading Banks

dvd56x

Rank these banks in terms of if you were offered a general fixed income placement job at all the following banks, the order in which you'd accept would be... I'm not just talking about prestige/name, but where you would want to work (which includes to some degree prestige, but also type of people, c...

Switching Products and Firms at the same time

fafa

How hard is it? What if you HAVE to?...

2nd year analyst Sales bonus

Disjoint

I accepted an offer in sales at a BB, I never had any banking experience, I am young and never had a full time job (I worked part time in various jobs to help me pay for school). Instead of taking me as a first year analyst they are taking me as a 2nd year analyst because I will be coming in with a ...

Sales Litterature

Disjoint

I posted about 6 months ago a question regarding books on I-banking. Now I wouldn't mind some more specific suggestions that deal with a Salesman job (particularly in equity, and bonus points if it is in derivatives). I have read Liar's Poker and enjoyed it greatly. ...

GS Stingy?

mrbubba

I assume a lot of people here read the "How Goldman Won Big On Mortgage Meltdown" on Friday. In that article it says, "The group's big bet that securities backed by risky home loans would fall in value generated nearly $4 billion of profits during the year ended Nov. 30, according to people familia...

Citi S&T MA program interview

pooface

Hey, has anyone been through the Citi MA program interviews? I've talked to someone who's been through it before and told me it's very personality and very little tech stuff involved. They told me it has a lot of standard interview questions and why Citi. What's the best way to prepare? I've been t...

Rule #1

Jimbo

No matter how late you are out until, you MUST come in on time the next day....

Goldman Securities SA Placed Program

xqtrack

Hey...does anybody know the deal with the 'placed program'...I'm looking at a brochure for it right now, but frankly it's pretty vague. It's apparently in the securities division and includes a lot of prop desks, and they told us they specifically interview separately from the s&t rotational sa prog...

DB ABS/secondary CDO desk

mrbubba

Does anyone know anything about this desk? I hear they are up over a yard this year and remain profitable in all business areas. They are the biggest market maker in ABX on the street. Something does not sound right. This stuff is supposed to be blowing up. ...

What does a trader do when he turns 40, 50, 60?

pdf123

Everyone i have interviewed with seems really young e.g. in their 30s. The only old person I met runs the regional office (even that, looks can be deceiving in finance). Also, is it more difficult for someone in S&T to pick up managerial/operations skills compared to banking (even though blankfein...

SIG and DC-Energy

whaber

Anyone have any info on these guys? Prestige, salary, lifestyle? ...

What type of method/strategy do you employ for personal trading?

initial_d

Hey, this post is written towards those who trade successfully (not luckily) on a personal account. I've been trading equities for about 6 months and have been relatively successful despite what I'm suggesting, but can't help feel that trading on fundamentals just feels like stockpicking and drawin...

Summer Associate on S&T desk

Cervantes

What does he do? I'm assuming we won't be getting as much coffee as analysts...is it all just sitting over a guy's shoulder? in banking, they can give Associates deals to work on because they have an analyst protecting their ass at the back and its a longer time frame..definite not true in S&T...so ...

Does anyone know of any good trading shops in LA

ojswhitebronco

Besides PIMCO in OC are there any other shops to look at in the LA area for trading? ...

How the Fuck Should a Retail Trader Trade

enkidu

Hey new here, a question bugging me. So I've been hearing trading/investing legends bashing fundamental analysis AND technical analysis. People like Buffet/Rogers say technical analysis is BS. Many legendary traders in Jack Schwagers Wizards say a known fundamental is a useless one, and plus, ho...

"Hot" Currency pairs for spot fx

Nasir

Hey guys, I'm really interested in the currency market and have been following the pound-dollar for a while now. I have enough time to follow a couple of other currencies. I don't have any preferences on which ones as long as it does not closely correlate with GBPUSD (USDCHF, for example). Additio...

S&T Summer Associate Interview at CSFB

aspringidiot

I had an MD drop my resume and I will be interviewing shortly. I am a first year MBA at a non target, but still top 20-25 program. I have two years of "not great experience" plus I had two different jobs, neither of which related much to S&T. Questions: Anyone know what to expect? Am I at a dis...

GS Principal Strategies Group/ FICC- Distressed Investing

Counterbalance

Does anyone know someone who works either at GS Principal Strategies Group or GS FICC- Distressed Investing? What are the both groups’ works mainly consist of? What are the both groups’ associate positions availabilities like? What kind of resume credentials do you need for joining ...

Does anyone know of good commodity shops in LA

ojswhitebronco

I am a senior in college interested in trading in LA... Options Commodities or FX, or FI. ...

The HR for trading is full of idiots

tuneman

May sound like sour grapes, but I find it hilarious how capriciously they look for potential traders. Ive heard a couple stories of undergrads, even art history majors, simply getting into trading at a BB simply because they go to a top 5. I would have thought trading was different when it comes t...

KBC Financial

luke

Anybody has any info on them? Cheers Luke...

How is trading for a comdity firm or producer compared to the BB path of S&T?

ojswhitebronco

I am a senior in college majoring in ECON and worked last summer in IBD at a BB firm. I now want to get into trading commodities. I have some leads from my dads HBS buddy's at Anadarko (engery)and Conagra. Is all the trading in these shops mainly hedging or is there some prop? Also if you start in ...

How Important Are "Leadership Days" at IBanks

mrbellaiche

whoops i actually realized i posted this once before in teh wrong forum... message actually focuses on trading Hi, I was wondering the general perception on the "leadership days" in ibanks where banks simply invite sophomores and juniors interested in summer analyst positions to the banks for summ...

Just curious about expense accts

Dave baby

I know this may seem presumptious as I will only be interviewing for SA positions this spring, but just out of curiousity, what type of expense accounts do salesmen and traders get?...

Is Fixed Income Structuring for quants?

elaine528

I'm looking into Fixed Income Structuring, but as a humanities major I'm a little wary.. is it full of quant types?...

SocGen S/T

pooface

Hi, I was wondering does SocGen only do Equity Derivatives in their S/T Dept? Anyone know how's the culture there and has anybody heard of their one year trainee/internship program before they give you a permanent position?...

Quick question - PO's of MBS vs. Treasury STRIP - Price Volatility

jackstone104

One market observer said that PO’s were like “super” zeros - they had more price volatility than a comparable set of Treasury STRIPs. Is this true? Why or why not? I cannot find anything to substantiate this claim. However, wouldn't the price volatility depend on the maturity and conseque...

Fundamental Analysis Prop Desk?

merkhet

Do most BB shops have proprietary trading desks that focus on fundamental analysis ("FA") or traditional stockpicking in their S&T divisions? Is this the same as a long/short equity desk? Is the progression towards obtaining a seat at one of these FA prop desks the same as obtaining a spot at any ...

Goldman Moscow (what is going on?)

Disjoint

I have a phone interview tomorrow with one of the co-CEOs of the company. If you know anything about Goldman's presence in Moscow I would really appreciate. Also I am interested in sales, but apparently part of my interview tomorrow will be to find a fit for me. I know that Goldman closed office in...

Let's talk about sales

zino davidoff

It seems IBD and trading gets a lot of interest on this site, but not many are interested in sales. I'm hoping to do a BB internship this summer, and am considering going for positions in sales or sales/trading or IBD. A) What is sales like? What does the job involve? How are the hours? etc. ...

Difference b/w S&T Ops & Junior Trader?

yung_gekko

Sorry, a stupid question from an IB analyst: What is the difference between a junior trader and someone in ops in S&T? What are the different tasks that they do? Who's the one booking the trades? Thanks...

Post-MBA Trading Compensation?

Haz

What's the compensation like in sell-side trading (or sales/trading) for post-MBA employees? I'm hearing as low as $140 1st year, ~$220 2nd year, and then sky's-the-limit 3rd year. Is this accurate?...

This is funny

titanboxer

Just found this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALn0GBkM_5c...

Trading and MBA?

Counterbalance

What good could a MBA diploma(let's say Wharton, for example) do when you are looking for a trading job? Do MBA traders tend to perform better/worse than the non-MBA peers? Do you have any recommendation on which school to attend if you are thinking about trading and hedge fund after MBA? I would...

Salary at Bulge Bracket I-Bank vs. Fido/Wellington/State Street

wallstreetasia

Wondering what salary and bonus for a first year equity trading analyst would look like at I-bank vs. a Fido/Wellington/State Street type of shop... Can tell you I-bank is 60K + 40-100K bonus... What's the other side? ...

where do you go from here?

bobsmith

I started out as a trader in a prop trading firm and eventually found myself doing mostly quant work (as I'm doing mostly full-time now). it's a successful firm, but I find myself bored or aggravated more often than I'd like, and I still obsess over the markets like a trader. problem is, I don't thi...

sometimes

Jimbo

i think the salesmen think i'm running a charity here....

who's tearing it up in this market?

kierkegaard

What desks are raking it in, what desks are hurting, and what desks are relatively unaffected by the volatility and/or downward pressure on the equity markets, the dollar, and the intensification of the credit problem? Obviously there's a short side to every long, so I'd be interested to learn who's...

IR (attn: Jimbo!)

Dmod

Jimbo, what do you think about the future of the rates business?To make my question more focused, which IR products are the hottest? Also, how are the bonuses in rates compared to other desks (in particular credit, HY, Emerging Markets, FX options etc) How easy is the transition from rates to somet...

futures question

waltersobchek

I'm not in trading/trying to get into it, but I follow Yahoo Finance a lot. Can someone explain what futures vs. fair value means? I know it usually helps to predict the market's movement early on, but I don't really understand what vs. fair value means ( I understand futures). Thanks...

will i get hired?

Batrick Pateman

I had my one and only interview for a position on the derivatives desk (swap) I was interviewed by 6 people..All were asking how my VBA is and my Excel. I said my excel is pretty good...My VBA is very basic... The technical director (who assess your technical knowledge; and who happened to have bee...

BB equity exotics, utility company or hedge fund

elfty

Need some advice. Which would you guys choose.. 1. trader support role for BB in equity exotics in nyc 2. risk management job at a major power utility company in nj 3. an european execution trader for a highly analytical hedge fund (hours are 2am-12) in ct keep in mind that I live in nyc right no...

S & T cover letters.

jonjon

In your cover letter is it better to mention why you want to be in either sales or trading, or should you leave it general to both areas. ...

First jobs in trading? Please advise.

acali10

What are the best places to start a career in trading? I know Goldman and some other BBs get a lot of press, but what about buyside firms? What about energy companies? I suppose most people get to high-quality trading hedge funds after a BB stint, but what other paths are well-regarded (if any)? ...

T-Bills

covermyer

How might you go about forecasting the auction price of the 13-week and 26-week T-bills that are auctioned off every Monday?...

Commodities and Credit: Sales or Trading

wishbone

Was wondering: in both the Commodities and Structured Credit markets, where is the "real" work being done and who are the bread winners - salespeople, structurers or good old traders?...

+1
Do you still get a bonus if you dont make Associate?

seekingcarry

What happens if at the end of 2 years in a S&T Analyst program you are not asked to be an assocaite, do you still get a bonus in June if you are asked to leave? Lets say the desk was not a great fit for you and you cant move internally, I am interested in knowing if you still get a bonus, even if ...

Study Abroad Question - Better to apply for an internship in London?

Revsly

Hey all, I have a question about studying abroad and summer internships. I'm hoping to study at LSE next year, and will very likely have the opportunity, but I'm concerned with how to manage an internship while abroad. Is it still possible to interview for NY S&T opportunities if I'm abroad for the ...

Equity Securities Lending Division at MS

g0ldplatinum

Can someone provide me an overview of this group at Morgan Stanley? Any info would be appreciated. ...

Help!!! Derivative Desk Trading Interview

Batrick Pateman

I know that my personality is very suited for this position (the MD of the firm is the one who made that conclusion), so now i am being interviewed formally... what advice can you guys give me...ITs a Canadian IB, but pretty big (clue: they make big losses when they lose) what should i know inside...

Interest Rate sales desk

Kimbo Slice

What do these guys do?...

+2
Interview Question: Why Trading?

mack387

I'm not sure how to tackle this question when they ask it in an interview. Does anyone here have any advice/tips that they could share? Thanks "Why Sales and Trading?" Interview Question In any sales and trading interview on Wall Street, candidates will likely be asked to answer some variation of t...

Advice for a former military officer who wants to be a trader?

[email protected]

OK. Sorry, this is a duplicate post from one I made in the b-school forum. I've read a lot of posts in this forum about becoming a trader, etc., etc. I'd like to get "good intel" from traders at a top-tier I-bank (or any for that matter). Bottom line, I want to take the appropriate steps, whic...

Most responsibility

kierkegaard

Where am I going to get the most responsibility fastest, all "earning" of it being equal: Barclays, CS, or ML? Looking at equities and commodities. Cheers...

Sophomore Summer - Honors Program

jfahnbul

I have a contact who is an associate at JPM, and he is going to try to get me an interview for their Honors program. I know its tough to get into so I was wondering what would be a good, feasible alternative, for this summer (my sophomore summer) to help in trying to attain an SA position in s/t for...

Lehman S&T Summer Analyst

juicyj

Anyone here do a summer analyst internship in S&T at Lehman. I have a few questions for those who did....

Equity exotics vs swaptions trading

stabart

I am considering two opportunities at top-tier BB's (think MS/GS/ML) in London. Both are similar entry-level (associate) trading roles. One is at the swaptions desk, the other at the equity exotics desk, and I am trying to make up my mind about what I want to do. Clearly, the most important decisio...

two quetions from interview for trader, want to see your opions

leebenhur

1.If I flipped a quarter 5 times and it came up heads every time, would you bet me a dollar that it will come up tails the next time? Why or why not? How about ten dollars? Why or why not? 2.You have been standing in line for the premiere of a movie for an hour and someone butts in front of you. W...

Mathematical models...

monkeypoker

Is there any way to guard against over-reliance on a mathematical model... seems to be too many hedge funds blowing up if they're so foolproof....

Something to think about....

luke

Read this first: http://www.gladwell.com/2002/2002_04_29_a_blowingup.htm and this afterwards: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/15/071015fa_fact_cassidy?printable=true Print it, it's a bit lengthy but worth reading. Cheers, Luke ...

WM Fixed Income Trading/Sales

matty200

Anyone know anything about the trading divisions within WM, obviously it varies from firm to firm, but I know that within both UBS and MS for instance there are trading departments within WM that trade flow for both high net worth clients and FA's. Is this potentially a stepping stone to the institu...

Pages