2016 Full-time Recruiting

Hi everyone,

I am a rising senior at a top 15, non-target college. I have above a 3.7 gpa in a tough double major along with excellent SAT scores and top tier extracurriculars. I did a boutique banking internship my sophomore summer, but unfortunately wasn't able to get a BB or even MM internship my junior summer - lack of networking was my achilles heel. I am wondering how I should approach FT recruiting and what banks I should realistically be looking at.

I am finding it difficult to network because of how much I am working, and am really unsure what the timeline of the accelerated processes are and if they are structured by school - like intern recruiting - or if it is more random. Additionally, I have considered applying for 2017 summer analyst programs and doing a masters / taking a year off. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Response

As I'm sure you're well aware, most of the FT recruiting for the 2017 analyst class will come from the current summers. The number of open seats by the middle and end of August varies depending on who receives and accepts their offers. There may be one or two spots open for a few groups, but it could be even less. This is especially true at GS/MS/JPM. During August there will likely be just a few interviews at some of the second tier BB's to fill whatever seats are left over. Unfortunately, the most competitive candidates will be those who are coming out of an internship and looking to shop their offer around. I can't speak to how things work out at some of the EB's, but I'm sure it's similar to GS/MS/JPM.

That said you can still reach out to alumni and start networking. Check out my response in this thread: "2-ib-boutique-internships-and-2-pe-internships-but-low-gpa."

So how would you advice on securing an interview at some of the lower tier BBs? I've generally had no luck with BBs cause people I've connected with(analysts & associates) don't know who are running recruitment

Problem is, there are very few alumni at these places. Not sure where Buckingham U got the idea that all of them are semi-targets because that's just flat out incorrect. Additionally, from the alumni that are at these firms, I networked with many of them during the fall and it's a bit odd of a situation. Also, for the banks/people I didn't network with, they might question why I didn't reach out. Finally, how am I supposed to be networking when I'm working 60+ hours a week? Obviously there is potential for some time; however, it is quite difficult to try to schedule calls with busy people when I am busy myself. Thanks a lot for the help, Naram.

I'm going to assume energy IB opportunities will be limited due to low price of oil and deal pipeline being feast to famine? Can anyone chime in that has insight?

Non-target with O&G experience looking to break in but finding out that few if any are hiring. Citi MD has told me they are not actively looking and will fill any roles from current intern class.

Built up a network in Calgary and Houston for full-time recruiting in the summer of 2015. Was in a boutique internship. They rehired summer analysts and then didn't even pull from full-time for the most part.

Make Idaho a Semi-Target Again 2016 Not an alumnus of Idaho

Not at all -- there's lots of restructuring and DCM/ECM dealflow down here in Houston at the moment, also you might alternatively look into trade finance and commodities structuring as they're doing pretty well at the moment

"Well, you know, I was a human being before I became a businessman." -- George Soros

First, make sure you're up to speed on your schools OCR schedule this upcoming fall. Pretty much all of the T-15 school's are targets for at least one major shop, so I guarantee there'll be someone coming to interview for FT this fall. Make sure you know who that is.

For whatever reason that's not the case, I'm afraid you're going to have to prioritize working vs. networking. Getting connected with some alum from your school who'd be willing to help get your resume to HR is your best shot at getting a FT slot for next summer.

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

Also have some questions regarding FT recruitment. How many people in one firm should I get in touch with to push for my resume if I go to a top 20 non target? Also is it accepted to recruit for two cities in one firm? I know some BBs are lenient on this, but don't know what's the situation like for smaller firms such as EBs.

itsnottough:

Also have some questions regarding FT recruitment. How many people in one firm should I get in touch with to push for my resume if I go to a top 20 non target? Also is it accepted to recruit for two cities in one firm? I know some BBs are lenient on this, but don't know what's the situation like for smaller firms such as EBs.

I'd pinpoint one alumni to start with and then ask them if there are other people they'd recommend you speak with.

Odit libero error autem voluptate ab. Quos possimus perferendis illo harum. Nihil non et suscipit eum id. Quas ut vel est et quas quo.

Quo reprehenderit pariatur voluptas voluptas et. Harum delectus nisi nihil tenetur neque nesciunt. Consequatur architecto quia incidunt. Est vel consequatur qui voluptas natus veritatis. Unde perspiciatis qui et odio voluptates et. A in ratione non quis quo.

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”