Q&A: Ultra Non-Target to BB IBD & Top Tier PE
Hi All -
As someone who derived a ton of benefit from WSO while recruiting, I thought I'd offer up my advice and answer any questions.
I'm here to tell you that breaking into IB is possible from a non-target school, but you'll deal with a lot of BS from recruiters and firms who only pretend to recruit broadly. Ask me anything!
- Ultra Non-Target (I'm talking 100+ on US News, name recognition comes from Football and in-state kids get in pretty much automatically)
- Studied economics (not in the business school)
- Internship in research and MM IB before accepting a full time offer from a IB
- Recently transitioned into PE
Mistakes I Made
- Undoubtedly my biggest mistake was being too afraid to cold email outside of the very few alumni we had on Wall Street. I believed that all of the hard work I put into my resume + technical interview prep would shine through
- Apply broadly to all firms in all cities. I've taken plenty of calls where people lead on that it's BB IB or bust which won't get you far at all. I was the alternate candidate for two top firms for SA recruiting but my only offer came from a MM shop in a Tier 3 finance city I hated. I used that to lateral into the BB for full time
WSO Mentor Profile
Want to work with me? Check out my profile here.