Barcap to layoff 600 people

Barclays Capital, the investment banking arm of Barclays PLC, plans to lay off 2.4%, or about 600, of its global staff this week, according to sources close to the matter.

The unit, which has roughly 25,000 workers, has struggled in recent months with a dearth of deals and sluggish trading activity. In the third quarter, BarCap posted 765 million pounds in pretax profit, its worst quarterly showing since early 2009. Its revenue in the three months was down 24% from the year-earlier period.

Early last month, the bank told hundreds of its U.K. employees that they would be cut via a consultation process, wherein a company is legally required to tell fired employees three months in advance of a layoff.

A New York-based worker at the bank said management had booked a number of conference rooms for a round of announcements earlier this week. But those reservations were canceled when a snowstorm dumped about nine inches of snow on Manhattan Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/01/12/barcap-to-c…

Ohh Bushels now that you mention it, yeah. Randomly got notified my candidacy in the sophomore SA Generation Next thing was terminated, random date far before they said notifications would be going out.

I've been seeing a lot of talk about 2011 being a booming year for M&A though, insight on why this is happening now?

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Best Response
A Posse Ad Esse:
Ohh Bushels now that you mention it, yeah. Randomly got notified my candidacy in the sophomore SA Generation Next thing was terminated, random date far before they said notifications would be going out.

I've been seeing a lot of talk about 2011 being a booming year for M&A though, insight on why this is happening now?

Good to hear I wasn't the only one with somewhat random closure.

I also heard M&A is looking up 2011. It'd be interesting to find out.

From what I've seen, Barcap appears to be one of the lower-performing segments of the Bargroup. I haven't looked into the reason for this though. US and EMEA tables put barcap still top 10 generally deal-wise by $ value. I don't think its a scale issue. At a glance, they've been relatively aggressive since 07, apparently even hiring through gfc. This could be a run-on effect of deals that fell short of what was anticipated. Could also be from cost-cutting down the line from the two new board hires in the segment around Q409... one from GS, one from Fidelity. But don't know their histories so stabbing in the air atm. Furthermore I dunno which part of Barcap is getting chopped. I haven't looked at their news since they cut my app a month ago.

GotBushels:
A Posse Ad Esse:

Good to hear I wasn't the only one with somewhat random closure.

I also heard M&A is looking up 2011. It'd be interesting to find out.

From what I've seen, Barcap appears to be one of the lower-performing segments of the Bargroup.

If you're interviewing, I wouldn't mention this for two reasons:

1) "Bargroup" is not a term 2) Even if it was, it's absolutely incorrect. Barclays Capital accounts for the majority of Barclays profits. Check the filings.

I was under that impression that the "boom" of 2011 for M&A was more so in the MM space. Could be wrong on that but that's been the talk in my neck of the woods.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

perpetualmotion:
hmm...have a superday with Barcap HK this weekend...should I pretend I'm oblivious to this?

I would bring it up with someone you are comfortable with. You want to show that you really know the company and if you are wasting your time interviewing.

ibhopeful532:
only back office in HK, front office is being aggressively expanded. they just hired a bunch of M&A bankers from MS

Second this obs. Barclay is giving out ridicously high compensation package to 2nd MBAs (don't ask the number, but it's just above, above HK avg) and HK just started their biz so they are pretty safe

@Omoba: much of these layoffs is within global finance though...it seems like if they're trimming underperforming areas they should be axing people in S&T as people above have mentioned.

People tend to think life is a race with other people. They don't realize that every moment they spend sprinting towards the finish line is a moment they lose permanently, and a moment closer to their death.

HerSerendipity:
swagon:
Would now be a bad time to make an initial outreach to someone in Barcap IBD (assuming you share a solid commonality)?

You might get a bounceback..

Well, of course that is a possibility. I'm assuming that doesn't happen...any serious answers?

Barclays just over-hired. While ~10% were layed off, it was really only the very bottom performers. Everyone is going on as if nothing happened, as should you. Most of IBD is still expanding, and many groups are being aggressive about it. I wouldn't bring it up in an interview, and I also wouldn't fret about reaching out to someone.

capitalist institution exploits workforce? Crazy world we live in.

i think the problem of the banking world (one of) is the expectation of a bonus. So your salary is socially acceptable but bonus isn't, plus its kept off written records so only you and the person that sets it knows it. I understand where you're coming from, but it reads a bit like the Icelandic 8% interest rates. No such thing as free money.

personally, i think they are the barcap fallguy for the year when bonuses are paid. last year was diamond and he wont be so keen to do that again. Being in a prop firm i'm not overly concerned.

Eius aut id perferendis molestiae voluptas. Architecto debitis consequuntur deserunt esse consequatur. Et ut molestiae maxime error perspiciatis rerum. Ex aspernatur voluptatum repellendus repudiandae. Eligendi sunt nihil quaerat. Facere numquam excepturi assumenda quia consequatur possimus et. Corrupti cumque cumque id.

Et aut ipsum odit inventore. Nihil quod minima omnis non sapiente.

Quasi perspiciatis harum nesciunt qui nesciunt. Laborum molestiae accusantium voluptatem omnis perspiciatis. Omnis nihil aut tempore. Voluptates ut alias doloribus rerum non. Qui aut illum et incidunt quia.

Veniam et aut amet voluptatibus modi velit saepe. Quis rem molestias molestias rem. Iure voluptatibus magni non dolores et amet nobis.

A sed aliquid sed est rerum repellat. Numquam laboriosam voluptas rerum aut.

Et voluptas voluptates quo ea itaque porro. Consequatur quis praesentium incidunt totam quae at. Tempore tempora inventore tenetur consequatur.

Omnis id voluptatem voluptatibus rerum est alias. Doloremque delectus est laboriosam et. Sed sed quia quod neque eaque sequi. Exercitationem molestiae facere est mollitia. Voluptatum ea aperiam non reprehenderit est. Ab rerum ratione ipsa culpa eos ut ullam.

People tend to think life is a race with other people. They don't realize that every moment they spend sprinting towards the finish line is a moment they lose permanently, and a moment closer to their death.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”