Basic questions about PE recruitingSubscribe
Mod note: see great comment below by @northsider answering these questions
I will be a first year IB analyst next July, and wanted to start understanding the basics of PE recruiting. Appreciate your help in answering these questions.
1. When does PE recruiting cycle start?
2. When does it end?
3. If you are in a good group, should you be proactive in reaching out to headhunters, or will they find you? How can you maximize your chances of getting interviews?
4. How do headhunters find you? Through their contacts? LinkedIn? Should I keep a nice, updated LinkedIn profile?
5. Who are the top headhunters for PE? Especially those representing the MFs?
6. Do the PE firms themselves decide who gets first round interviews? Or do they go through headhunters? If so, should I be networking with PE professionals?
7. If your firm has a ban on buyside recruiting, how do answers to any of the above questions change?