*CANADIAN* 2018 Investment Banking Summer Analyst mini Thread

I wanted to start a central thread where all Canadian undergrad students could comment and share inquiries, information, and concerns regarding investment banking summer analyst recruiting/timeline for summer 2018 in CANADA (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, etc)

Canadian banks:
RBC
CIBC
TD
BMO
SCOTIA
NBC

MM/Boutique:
Canaccord Genuity
GMP Securities
Blair Franklin
Origin Merchant
Evans & Evans

Globals:
BAML
CS
JPM
GS
Barclays
Evercore
HSBC
Wells Fargo

Best of luck to everyone grinding right now!

Tip for those who attend a target: Try to leverage your network to figure out who the recruiting captain is for your school. In terms of networking, I'd say associates and VPs should be your focus. Anybody higher probably won't give you the time of day, whereas analysts are open to chatting but have less pull. From what I've seen most recruiting captains are associates as well.

It's kind of late now, but high GPAs these days go a long way. Lots of kids with traditional "finance" backgrounds are getting passed up for kids who have a 3.8+ and demonstrated a bit of interest in finance(even if it started a month before recruiting season). Another piece of feedback my friends and I got as well especially with the Canadian banks is not to seem too rehearsed. If you attend a school with a lot of resources(alumni, mock interviews, prep guides.. READ: Ivey/Queens), its actually possible to over-prepare. Canadian banks care much more about fit as opposed to being able to memorize every question in a guide. In fact, interviews at Canadian banks are more like 70% fit/30% technical.

For non-targets, is there one associate/analyst who does all non-target school recruiting or does each non-target have its own person? I agree with everything except that I heard Canadian banks are a lot more technical than fit, since generally applicants have finance degrees as opposed to liberal arts in the states.

*Ivey and Queens, Rotman and Schulich are both bottom bucket schools with not nearly as much pull/prestige as Queens and Ivey. HIM at Mcgill as well is with Queens and Ivey but not Mcgill general finance

Done school however I wanted to chime in with my thoughts on IB in Canada. Ivey/Queens/Waterloo will be the best in terms of feeding you into IB/S&T IMO. Regional IB/certain programs like UBC PMF, University of Calgary and HEC Montreal will place you as well. I'd like to say UofT, McGill, and York Schulich will be runner up after the top 3 and everything else is pretty much a non target.

Side note: I forgot which student groups at Ivey/Queens have guides floating around the internet/their website but I believe the QUIC guide/the Ivey Capital Markets club may be the ones that appeared top notch.

I feel like Waterloo is definitely one of the feeders for S&T (CS and Engineering), and Big 4 for sure. There is a less significant presence in ib from what I have seen so far comparing to Queens/Ivey...

Best Response

As someone attending a "Canadian target", I'm actually quite surprised at how much the forum undermines names such as Rotman/Schulich/Laurier/UW. Sure if you're speaking BB/EB or IB in the US its really Ivey/Queens/McGill lights out, but if your goal is Big 5 or one of the independents in Canada, the schools above place just fine.

Agree with this fully, went to a Canadian target as well. Rotman, Schulich, Laurier and Waterloo all fly under the radar. The reason you don't see as many of these kids in IB is that there is way less of a push into IB at these schools, they tend to be big 4 feeding powerhouses.

In my opinion, if you go to one of these schools, have a good GPA, and become reasonably well informed about IB you should have no problem getting an interview in Canada, the networking and encouragement just won't be spoonfed to you like at Queen's/Ivey.

Just wondering where did you hear about BMO? I went to their BMOCM event and HR said they did not do accelerated program in Canada. They only might invite former SA or former co-op students for early interviews...

These invitational events are strictly for getting to know candidates/screening, and is by no means the main recruiting platform for target schools(might be more important for semi-non-targets). Are attendees at an advantage come recruiting season? Probably. Are you out of the running if you didn't get an invite? Definitely not.

0-1. Believe they posted this past summer, but not sure if they took anyone. Advice for those recruiting for Toronto: It's fine to chase the big names if your goal is to do banking for 2 years and dash, but if you're looking for a meaningful experience bigger isn't always better, especially when it comes to satellite offices.

Don't get me wrong, there are very legit international banks in Toronto(and growing their presence rapidly) such as MS, BAML, and Barclays, but there are also some that act more like a Canadian coverage office that essentially provides the firm access to Canadian capital markets but bring the execution on big deals to their NYC office. You might get your hands on a few syndicate deals, but from a learning perspective there's not much work involved.

I know most postings for the big 6 and some internationals close within the few days, but anyone know when they usually hand out interviews, and when interviews take place? Heard some say mid-November and heard others say early-November and also heard late October. Just wanted to get some clarification on this

Most apps at my school close around 23rd - 30th, which is when they get the bundle of applications. I've been told early November people start hearing back for first rounds and super days are mid to late November

How would going with one of the pension funds (CDPQ/PSP) in PE versus going to one of the satellite offices (CIBC/TD Montreal) affect your career trajectory? I know comp is lower at start, but isn't your day to day way better? And wouldn't it be easier to transition to MF PE after a top MBA?

Eh if you've been selected for an interview at one of the banks for a location but applications are still open for a different location, is it wrong to apply?

RBC, TD and BMO have given summer offers out already for their accelerated processes. They're still interviewing but are on a rolling basis. Don't worry if you miss accelerated, there will also be a regular round of recruiting for TD and BMO, and I believe RBC also.

Source: Interned at 1 of the 3 banks and am going back ft next year, and know kids who have SA offers

I'm in the same boat at UofT.

Just an Undergrad trying to get a job. Something you disagree or dislike about my posts? Let me know by PM'ing me or commenting constructive criticism.

curious what school you're from and how the first round was.

Just an Undergrad trying to get a job. Something you disagree or dislike about my posts? Let me know by PM'ing me or commenting constructive criticism.

I heard they hired for full-time analysts, but heard nothing about the SA positions.

Esse suscipit et alias. Optio expedita quibusdam et. Sit culpa voluptatem qui sint in et.

Inventore voluptates praesentium quis omnis. Et tempora voluptatum autem saepe illo atque saepe. At in illum fuga et qui.

Odit recusandae pariatur impedit excepturi et. Reiciendis autem assumenda blanditiis aut qui facere mollitia unde. Natus consequatur ducimus qui molestias voluptatem id debitis. Sequi nesciunt ducimus perspiciatis accusamus autem.

Dicta similique aspernatur et quo animi necessitatibus architecto. Ut eligendi maiores aut quas. Beatae non modi explicabo ut vel nulla occaecati. Nihil beatae et animi.

Quidem nam ea iusto dolorum id. Est necessitatibus neque esse molestiae. Nihil incidunt omnis itaque quasi fugiat est.

Officiis maiores qui voluptatibus provident est. Odit asperiores debitis sed nihil harum. Quae id rerum et dolores. Dicta ut adipisci ut at veniam quae ut hic. Cum deserunt tempora quisquam maxime aut enim. Praesentium occaecati corporis non odio facilis incidunt impedit. Qui perferendis rerum inventore beatae voluptas.

Doloremque voluptas reprehenderit possimus animi rerum amet sunt. Aliquid rem expedita dolores veniam alias. Quo quae consequatur nemo error ut vitae.

Debitis ipsa et voluptatem impedit necessitatibus consequuntur temporibus eligendi. Possimus reiciendis voluptates et quam eius ut aut. Et labore et cum ut suscipit sit architecto. A ut modi vel vero eius. Quis fugiat laborum explicabo ducimus. Vitae et deleniti consequuntur ex ex.

Molestiae et qui esse animi. Non rerum tempore ab officiis. Non a omnis voluptate quae. Vel ea error tenetur recusandae. Tempora autem soluta illum fugiat quia officiis voluptate. Accusantium est qui vel maxime ut fugiat velit.

Ut non aut fuga fuga rerum harum error. Ab voluptas aut quam maiores sequi architecto illum. Enim magni omnis consequatur voluptas est iusto officiis. Autem quibusdam enim consequatur assumenda. Qui ratione eligendi consequatur neque fugit eos.

Sed perspiciatis neque quo facere culpa. Illo quas aliquam adipisci recusandae porro facere. Neque quas enim repudiandae.

Ullam dicta ipsa sunt iste et ducimus. Dolor asperiores rem omnis id. Dolor qui deserunt facere aliquid est voluptate assumenda. Similique placeat vel iusto et enim sit et.

Odit est ratione illum ducimus a. Repudiandae atque non eligendi laborum sed iste libero. Ullam qui corporis deserunt voluptas est deserunt et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”