Someone in my class did, but no real response. A girl in my SA class has a family member in the higher ups of DB, and she doesn't have any word either.

Incoming DB SA here. I've had a few calls with HR recently but no proper reassurance yet. What I got from the call is that it is unlikely that a proper in person internship will happen (not really a surprise) and that they are talking with other BBs to decide the best outcome. We should be getting more information either next week or the week after, for now there is not much that we can do. I'd like to think that it is more likely than not than the internship will go ahead but through a shortened virtual program.

Nope, these assholes. I swear to god, if they cancel internships without pay, I will lose my shit. I had some lit corp fin offers that I passed up for this.

i emailed my recruiter in nyc office and they said to expect an update "within the next couple of weeks," which is super late imo...

Do you think banks will have different decisions based on internship location? Or 1 decision for all interns/groups? Because I'm at a satellite location and the virus is nothing like NYC over here.

What did you expect from signing with DB? We're not just memeing or whatever. When people say they would rather pick an upper-MM like JEF/HL over DB quit flinging MS.

No they are not, but at least not as bad a situation as UBS IBD.

in your opinion, what will db do in terms on interns? i cant help but feel worried with every bank releasing reassuring statements

I think they're going to try and just follow what the rest of the BBs do as they seem to really be trying to salvage their platform and become a serious name again. But don't get your hopes up.

Based on conversations I've had with people for group placement, seems like the alternative is a virtual and/or shortened program, not canceling. Cannot confirm obviously since situation is fluid but highly doubt they will cancel, especially considering what other BBs have come out with. DB is probably waiting a little longer to make the right move (better than them making rash decisions, in my opinion). But trying not to get my hopes up too high just in case.

Same. It seems like they are trying to make things work by exploring options and that should be positive but idk.

To those wondering, the message was

"During this unprecedented time, we want to let you know that we are thinking of you and hope that you, your family and friends are staying safe and well. Since we last communicated on March 20, our organization has transitioned to working remotely, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and understand your college life has changed as well. We find ourselves adjusting to a new normal, with a continued focus on the safety and well-being of our employees, including our interns. As previously mentioned, we continue to monitor the impact of this health crisis and any potential impact it will have on planning for our 2020 internship programs. As we continue to explore options, we will keep you updated as we make decisions. For now, we have decided to pause any desk placement processes until we have finalized our approach for this summer. In addition, given the increased spread of coronavirus cases across the US and implications on travel businesses, including short-term rentals, we have decided to pause travel reservations for the intern program. If you contacted our travel desk, you will be notified that your reservation will be placed on hold. We also ask that you refrain from booking any accommodations for your internship. We will update you as soon as possible regarding any future decisions and thank you in advance for your patience at this time.

In the interim, please know our graduate recruitment team is here for you and available for any questions or specific concerns.

Stay safe and we will be in touch soon."

why are they pausing any desk placement processes for now? i feel like even if the internship is virtual or they decide to give out FT offers, they would still need to continue with placement. does this seem like a bad sign to anyone??

I mean it's not the greatest news but placement day was technically supposed to be next week. I'm thinking they probably just want to figure out the format of the internship first (if it's happening) and then pick up where we left off? Idk

flawed logic. What do they gain by that? A good reputation with their current SA class? In my opinion many banks will do the virtual internship with some kind of project and then give out offers. They have nothing to lose by doing that and no need to rush from their side. And no just because 2 banks have done it, this doesn't pressure the banks at all (because why should it? Who would hold them accountable if they do not follow?)

Seriously concerned at this point, especially considering every other bank has at least sent some form of email addressing the situation. What are the odds of DB actually rescinding offers?

super high actually, it would be the perfect opportunity for DB to finally optimize their cost structure

I wouldn't worry too much, they will most likely send an update this week.

it's not looking great either, but I feel as though there is no way that DB could rescind offers from a PR standpoint. imagine how much bad publicity they would get if they were the only BB that cancelled? even MM and EB have told interns that their jobs are secure.

wdym? Class of 2022 would apply there like normal. So many people want this job that they'll find enough talent willing to fill their summer analyst class size. I mean even before this PR for the firm was not great and still many were willing to take the risk.

I was on the phone with the HR (not US) they’ve mentioned that as of right now they are looking at either sticking with the original plan or going with an “alternative” plan (which wasn’t clarified). All we can do is wait and see, there is no point in speculating. The fact that group selections have not happened yet is very much concerning (albeit not sure if other banks have already done that).

realistically , when would we find out do you think? i’m assuming next week. anything after that seems so late

Lmao no updates at all? Deutsche better do something big to redeem themselves, they're really not doing themselves favours

Most Helpful

just got off the phone with hr, they have confirmed that the program will be for sure happening. whether the program will have a delayed start or be totally virtual is still up in the air, but the internship program this summer will not be cancelled.

posting this again from the other DB thread:

Just got off a long call with HR (APAC). They're finalizing things and most likely we'll hear by end of week/next week. Indicated that it's very likely we'll have late start + virtual internship and changes to "assessment for graduate opportunities" (obvs didn't go into detail but I suppose that means there wil be more interviews/projects after the summer/end of summer to access who gets a return offer? HR also said summer interns "will be prioritized for 2021 hiring" - sounds like auto FT is off the table? :/ ). Also mentioned possibility of a Plan A + Plan B. Whatever decision they make will most likely be implemented globally, and that things are changing so rapidly that they want to remain "flexible".

I called the NYU intern summer housing desk asking about this. They said that they plan to keep the cancellation deadline by May 1st but they might release a new statement on the website prior to that date to give flexibility for students. They also said June 28 is the new check-in day for the summer interns and you can adjust your payment/room option before then if you still decide to room there through early-mid August.

Really just a waiting game to hear updates from both DB and NYU to make a decision by April 30th tbh.

Any possibility that they give auto FT offers? Seems like many other banks and companies were set on virtual weeks ago and announced it even without having full details planned out. Is it possible that it may be too difficult to have a full program and they have more of an online training type thing that some companies are going through with?

Unfortunately it just won’t happen with DB which sucks. They would have to convert everyone doing S&T and Corporate Finance. And I cannot see them converting 100% of their S&T class. I hope I am wrong though lol

I just don't understand their decision, I really don't lol

Is anyone gonna try asking about this during our HR calls... haha

Quo officiis et qui praesentium. Deleniti nulla aut aspernatur iure. Consequatur laboriosam sed aut laboriosam voluptatem. Possimus mollitia deleniti sint eveniet. Quos accusantium rerum illum autem. Corrupti earum eligendi esse voluptas earum velit. Ratione fugiat corporis autem molestiae velit nisi quia.

Et saepe sint dolor repellat nam. Iure assumenda quo et soluta magni laboriosam. Eaque consequuntur est ut laborum velit repellat. Quod voluptas sit doloremque soluta. Quia atque voluptatem dolor odio.

Et saepe ipsa et voluptatem. Cum unde ut nobis.

Vel inventore repellendus at nam necessitatibus placeat. Mollitia aut corrupti quia dolorum. Provident ducimus accusantium incidunt sunt. Id ex temporibus minus eius.

Sapiente id repudiandae ut impedit. Autem amet sit cupiditate in et. At modi perspiciatis nobis tenetur odio.

Alias ea illum dolorem. Porro a qui temporibus quidem non. Neque facilis cumque omnis unde voluptatem ut.

Aspernatur nam consequuntur blanditiis eum. Fugiat aut qui sint neque autem aut et voluptates. Assumenda sit magnam voluptas optio. Et deleniti beatae dignissimos sapiente provident harum. Distinctio voluptas quidem error non laborum. A quia id perferendis laborum.

Placeat aspernatur aut ipsam qui quod. Voluptatibus ad fugiat voluptatum nulla consequuntur deleniti. Autem doloribus sit fugiat eos ut. Explicabo nostrum pariatur ea et ea omnis.

Ipsam reiciendis aut ut voluptates quibusdam officia. Eaque veniam omnis totam voluptatem. Id incidunt earum asperiores laudantium.

Et et sint quasi aut. Veritatis dolor eum molestiae dolores quam. Quos necessitatibus et enim adipisci. Minima repudiandae praesentium quia placeat odit enim. Sint laboriosam eum inventore.

Facilis in vitae deserunt incidunt error vero nobis. Maiores ullam reiciendis ducimus quo voluptas aut recusandae.

Est magni omnis amet minus occaecati quo in. Vitae distinctio ut quia tenetur rerum. Excepturi quae fugiat officia quisquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”