English Premier League - 2018/2019

So the 2018/2019 English Premier League kicks off this weekend! Thought I would create a thread where we can discuss pretty much everything about it.

I’m sure football fans in the US are excited to be waking up at 8am on our weekends to watch the games! (Hopefully there are a few on this forum)

Who do you support? How are you feeling about your team’s chances this season?

Who do you think is going to win the league this season?

Most Helpful

Don’t support anyone in epl, but I have a feeling the rankings will be: 1. Man City - have been spending and building a great team, pep knows what he’s doing 2. Man U - have a great team, pretty sure mourinho has some plan in mind 3 - liverpool - last year’s performance was amazing with the players they had, klopp is a great manager and will try to build on previous year’s result (they might replace Man U)

1. Chelsea - new boss has a good history at napoli but I think with team morale after last season and roman’s control would probably keep them out of the title contention.

Although spurs did well last season, I don’t see them in the top 4. Arsenal might be in the top 4 instead of chelsea, new manager and young team might just do something

I definitely agree with City taking it, barring any mishaps. It would actually be great if this is a more open season with more teams actually challenging for the title.

I think Man U is going to implode soon. Mourinho has been out ‘bad-mouthing’ the club senior executives, and even some of the first team players. I actually hope they don’t make Top 4.

Arsenal a bit of a wild card but I do think they’ve done some really good rebuilding this window and think their new coach is great.

Liverpool will definitely be up there. They played electrifying football last season and have spent c. £150m this window so they should improve.

All in all, I think we have a pretty exciting season up ahead!

1) Liverpool - Great run last year. Klopp fixed the main problems in the team with new signings: great goalkeeper, a solid defensive midfielder, and Kieta who's a fucking beast. 2) Man City - I don't think Man City are going to win again... at least I hope not 3) Man U - They have the quality to win the league but Mourinho is an idiot 4) Spurs/Arsenal - Spurs have a really solid squad and so do Arsenal, but let's be real. They're not going to win the title 15) Chelsea - Chelsea blowsss

Man U? You must forget that Mou's teams always implode in his third season. Add on the fact that they vastly outperformed their expected points last year (based on goal differential/ expected goals) because De Gea was saving everything under the sun last year (he had 11 saves fewer than City & Liverpool's keepers combined) and they are more likely to finish in 6th place than in 2nd place.

Array

but he started somewhere in a serie b club, got to serie a and then to epl - apparently he managed 17 teams (he started in 1991) before napoli, which was his big break.

But if I divide my time between being a amateur footballer/manager and working for 100 hours to somehow get to the epl, then that's the dream.

City - Wouldn't be surprised to see them win again. They have the quality and depth to repeat. History is not on the side of consecutive EPL champions though and complacency will be their biggest enemy.

Liverpool - Best transfer window of EPL top 6 on paper. They've improved their midfield, added depth, and have improved their defense with a world class GK. The minimum expectation most have for them is to at least challenge City. (Expect for a reversion to the mean for Salah's tally though)

United - United fan here. This was a horrid window. We needed to fix LB, RW & CB and didn't do that. We barely finished 2nd last time around and would be lucky to do so again. We're basically banking on our CBs to get better, Sanchez to be up to speed, and Martial/Rashford to come good. Those are all very huge gambles. I love Woodward's financial wizardry and ability to get sponsors, but he needs to be stripped of transfer responsibilities.

Chelsea: Didn't have much hope for them making top 4 until their transfer activity this week. The recent purchases actually suit Sarri's style, but I don't think it is enough. I'm also interested in seeing this team in Dec-Jan and then in March because he doesn't rotate and the bench isn't great either.

Arsenal: I like the managerial appointment and transfers. Emery's biggest strength is the fact that he is a great motivator and tends to get the best out of his players. I expect a significant change to approach and attitudes from the squad. ( Actual coherent pressing and competitive big games) Wouldn't surprise me to see them get top 4 at the expense of United/Spurs.

Spurs: Most interesting window by far. First ever EPL club to not sign a single player in a transfer window. I really don't think they are in as bad as a spot as most people do. They have a group of young players that have continued to improve over the past couples of seasons and have the 3rd best XI in the league (arguably second still even with Pool's signings) The problem for them last season was the fact that they couldn't replicate their home form (17 W, 2 D) from 2 years ago in the new stadium. If Eriksen or Kane gets injured, that would be colossal though. Depth is a major problem.

Honorable mentions: Wolves: Recently promoted team that has managed to sign UCL-caliber players because of their shady dealings/relationship with a super-agent. Most expect them to comfortably finish midtable and stave off relegation comfortably, but it would be hilarious if they didn't.

West Ham: They've had poor campaigns over the last 2 years. But last season was especially filled with troubles. They've now appointed a former EPL-winning coach and have made a couple of interesting signings.

Given that no team has repeated as champion in last 9 years I take Liverpool to finally win it this year with ManCity coming in second.

Spurs continue building on their core, however may have a bad start to the season if kane and co dont snap out from their funk. Finish 3rd again.

ManU to actually be in the top 3 half way through but then implode in spectacular fashion with Mourihno fired after Christmas, ultimately finishing 6th

Arsenal and Chelsea fighting for the 4th spot with Chelsea winning out. Arsenal showing promise but didnt do enough to break back into top 4.

Everton as the surprise team of the season, challenging for top 5.

excited to watch Arsenal this year! Curious to see how Emery does, if he will have the team pressing more. Should be exciting to have a full season of Ozil+Lacazette+Auba+Ramsey, assuming everyone stays healthy. Torreira may also pull a Kante and be a beast.

I'm excited by Guendouzi's potential and Musti has seemed to have composed himself, however Lacazette should have started yesterday as seen by his instant impact. And from Torreira's 30 minute performance, he looks right on his way into becoming a star.

If Liverpool does not win this year the media really need to ask themselves some question. This team is packed with good players. Can beat Man City easily as proven by the Champions league and the pre season. No reasons for them not to win the title

Eos est iure saepe culpa qui excepturi quas. Corporis autem magnam voluptatibus iure ratione. Quidem qui in consequuntur ducimus. Sed aperiam excepturi ducimus perferendis ipsum harum.

Deserunt cum est esse provident consectetur. Deserunt magnam ducimus esse numquam. Aut libero tenetur provident nesciunt eligendi non quis.

Voluptas laboriosam voluptatibus optio aut omnis dolorem. Quia ut minima veniam soluta assumenda.

Occaecati dolor pariatur sequi libero harum animi iste. Possimus vel deleniti dolores et dignissimos eius facilis. Enim quasi iusto autem excepturi quidem perferendis repellendus. Qui eligendi et rerum voluptate omnis. Sit fugit omnis blanditiis alias omnis tempore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”