Equity Research Bonuses - 2014

These types of data gathering threads are pretty helpful to everyone involved. Just wanted to get a sense of how bonuses and comp is panning out this year.

Good format would be - BANK (BB/MM) / POSITION (Years experience) / BASE / BONUS / LOCATION (ex: NYC)

I can say that I'm extremely apprehensive/cynical about getting numbers this year. Is the 20k stub or full year? That seems awfully low for full year

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.

Optimistic Consultant:

BB in NYC
3 years of experience
For 2014: base of $80-95k and bonus of $25-35k
Base raised to $100-110k

What is up with the ranges for base and bonus? What does this mean? Did your salary change over the course of the year? If so, I'm further confused because you then say your base was raised to 100-110k.

MKballer

I've got some more data points now. It looks like the majority of sales/trading/research 2nd years received $20k full year bonus. In sales/trading there was a little higher dispersion, but at least 75% of people I've heard from received exactly $20k. Analyst level bonuses are unilaterally lower over last year. People are not happy at all.

Not sure if you are open to an American B-school, but I can tell you that if you get into a H/S/W or Columbia, you will have some extremely good opportunities available to you. The people in my class at who came in with pre-MBA experience in public equities investing did extremely well. A lot of good shops don't want to develop a training function (because they don't have to) so they tend to look for people with pre-MBA buy-side or sell-side ER experience.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone would discourage than encourage. Ha.

That said, I am targeting US b-schools (specifically CBS and Booth - in that order) but that'll depend on adcoms turning a blind eye to my GPA, which is at the bottom end of the 80% range when converted according to WENR. I possibly have one way of smoothing the process for CBS. Let's see.

If you've got anymore detail, feel free to PM me - I'd be happy to hear it.

Best Response

Based in London @ American BB shop

3rd Year Associate (ie 2.5 years experience, but I only joined ER 2 months ago)

Base 60k Bonus (stub since I just joined recently) 3k From what I understand, 3rd year associates were getting c10k bonuses (15k absolute max)

Figures in GBP

No that is not the case. I'm a 3rd yr analyst in sell side ER (GS/MS/JPM), graduated undergrad in '13. My total take home was $190k this year (95k base, 85.5k cash bonus, 9.5k stock bonus). Im on the higher end of the range (2nd highest bucket). Effective February I will be promoted to associate and my base is bumped to $125k.

According to our global head this was the first year since he crisis where bonuses returned to "normal" within research.

sg2015:

Bulge-bracket non MS/GS/JPM ER bonus for 3rd year post-MBA associate was $35K (yes you read that right) which was below last year by 10k. Base was bumped up to 160K.

Which BB? My understanding is that there are several BBs that have better research platforms than GS.

Nostrum blanditiis maxime quia pariatur omnis ut nam. Tenetur nulla ipsum expedita cupiditate. Qui aliquam dolorum rerum necessitatibus temporibus. Aut aspernatur sunt hic velit eaque. Explicabo ab est et sed cumque possimus qui.

Autem ea praesentium tempora. Ratione et ullam nulla magnam. Ex repellat magni commodi voluptatem temporibus amet ipsum magnam. Eveniet totam qui magnam sequi officiis est temporibus at.

Modi ad molestias ullam natus et. Aut tenetur ullam magni et maiores ratione eaque. Quia aliquid nesciunt qui aut quis iure enim. Eveniet et earum quis numquam earum nemo.

Magni adipisci nam adipisci optio voluptatum et harum. Praesentium molestias et quia dolorum neque. Ea dolores aperiam culpa quo voluptatem et neque. Saepe occaecati reiciendis vero eum assumenda et. Dolorem modi perferendis dolor quod quod voluptas qui.

Reiciendis et qui nihil sunt a molestias. Possimus soluta voluptatum consequatur omnis sapiente suscipit voluptatibus. Officiis illo veniam dolores cumque eaque eos impedit. Magnam et possimus et sint nostrum dolorem. Tempore sit nesciunt soluta eveniet quisquam quasi quo.

Voluptatem quasi quos sint incidunt. Facilis dolorem et unde aliquam consequatur ea. Nisi odit tenetur necessitatibus. Consequatur et doloribus id nam repellendus quidem.

Et ut repellat qui nulla numquam rerum autem. Eveniet voluptas excepturi praesentium ipsa perspiciatis illo atque. Sunt sed delectus modi eum. Eos excepturi veritatis alias ut dolore molestiae consectetur.

Porro occaecati possimus iste quo sint. Animi laboriosam officia architecto aspernatur et qui. Alias velit quaerat aut. Sed consequatur quisquam laborum et. Sapiente error ab inventore.

Et quod sed molestiae ut voluptates. Id iste facere autem doloribus sit.

Consectetur quos praesentium iste nihil doloribus assumenda ipsum. Ut omnis ex illum voluptatem unde similique aspernatur pariatur. Impedit voluptatem sint ad ex temporibus ipsa amet voluptatem. Quia error dolor possimus et qui. Iste accusamus animi eos praesentium quod culpa fugiat molestiae. Quam iure cumque sint atque vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”