Exploding offers for SA 2019 - what to do??

Hey guys,

I know a lot of people going through something similar right now - with the accelerated recruiting this year, many banks have different timelines... what can we do if we receive an exploding offer from a BB that expires in 2 weeks but haven't been able to interview with any other bank yet?? My worst nightmare is not taking an offer but then getting rejected by other firms and ending up with nothing... but isn't it also fucked up to accept an offer but renege on it if I can get a better one?

It's a really shitty situation we've been forced into this year. What do you guys think we should do?

I get that you’re stressed. It’s a shitty situation. But it’s actually been a chaotic timeline for a few years now. Contact HR and people you know at the firms you really want to interview at. Most places will accelerate on an individual basis, and two weeks is a pretty big window.

You can always ask for an extension from the firm that gave you an offer. Check your school's website to see if they have an official policy regarding minimum time that a student has to consider.

Additionally, you can use the first offer as leverage to expedite recruiting processes at other banks. This is easier/more realistic if you are a competitive candidate and the bank that gave you an offer is of equal or higher caliber than the bank at which you are trying to interview.

With the idea of leveraging in mind, this means that you (OP) need to have networked very well and be considered a top candidate by all the banks that you might want to contact if you get an exploding offer. So make sure that is the case for you at as many places as possible.

Keep networking like a fiend and don't worry about this until it is actually a problem.

exit opps, UBS, HLHZ, Imp, WF, Gugg

UBS as a BB still opens more doors HLHZ is a sweatshop and people will give you brownie points for that Imp tends to place well for credit HF, DD PE if you fight for it WF i've heard has weak placement though I've see plenty end up in good but not amazing places on linkedin Gugg is too young to comment on exit opps.

Just for fun here's what I would choose:

1. Guggenheim - NY means networking with other banks
  2. UBS LA - There's like 10-15 people there but I know SAs who went to other BBs FT pretty easily
  3. HL LA - Office is sick (aesthetically), good dealflow

wouldn't even consider the other 2 if you want M&A

I guess i shouldnt have put too much on exit-opps, i WOULD also consider staying long term in banking if its a firm with a good growing future ahead of itself.

i know might seem like i dont know what i want, but im a junior, so i guess i wont know what i really want until after the summer or after 6 months as a FT analyst.

HelpwithSaOffer:
I have connections at some of the firms (father is a client to some of the MDs) so dont ask how I got these offers so late in the process, just explained it.

I've thrown in 1-2 other banks just to keep myself anonymous. Thank you. I have until Friday end of work day to make a decision

How would you rank in terms of best for exit-ops, pay and prestige:

Imperial Capital (LA- generalist) Wells Fargo (SF- tech) Guggenheim Partners (NY- generalist) Houlihan Lokey (LA- corp fin, not RX) UBS (LA- yes they do still have an office lol)

I dont have a preference for industry or location. Thanks for the comments in advance dawgz.

Do UBS LA, get an offer, then rerecruit for a better BB

If you are trying to re-recruit for a "better" bank, go to UBS.

If you are looking for your first job, I would say either Guggenheim or HL. I would make the choice based on whether I wanted to be in NYC or LA. HL probably is slightly more prestigious, but don't let that dictate your life.

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

Dude, your dad is rich. Take a corporate finance gig, or something that pays well but gives enough time to actually LIVE (i.e. party, skydive and all the other stuff you can do with your parents' money).

Investment Banking is for people like me to get to where you already are.

lm-1993:
Dude, your dad is rich. Take a corporate finance gig, or something that pays well but gives enough time to actually LIVE (i.e. party, skydive and all the other stuff you can do with your parents' money).

Investment Banking is for people like me to get to where you already are.

LOL this does sound nice in practice, but i cnt go through life knowing that i did the easy way out. As dumb as that sounds, i really would not be happy with myself in my mid 30s and realized i did nothing to create my own wealth or career. But thts just me....plus i went skydiving during winter break ;-)

HelpwithSaOffer:
I have connections at some of the firms (father is a client to some of the MDs) so dont ask how I got these offers so late in the process, just explained it.

I've thrown in 1-2 other banks just to keep myself anonymous. Thank you. I have until Friday end of work day to make a decision

How would you rank in terms of best for exit-ops, pay and prestige:

Imperial Capital (LA- generalist) Wells Fargo (SF- tech) Guggenheim Partners (NY- generalist) Houlihan Lokey (LA- corp fin, not RX) UBS (LA- yes they do still have an office lol)

I dont have a preference for industry or location. Thanks for the comments in advance dawgz.

Go with gugg or HL

Echoing what others are saying, HL or UBS. The more recognizable names will open more doors if you decide to do something other than banking after the summer.

Best Response

Why is UBS LA even a thought? LOL The office dropped 50% in headcount the past year...whos to say it wont be completely gone in the next 1-2 years even?

HL- solid middle market and HQ in LA (always working in HQ is a plus). very large office in LA will geometrically give you large network and living in LA definitely has its benefits.

Guggenheim- expanding boutique that plays in both in upper tier MM and BB territory sized deals (also HQ in NY). Unique opportunity to join on board the potentially next big thing being lead by a veteran guy like Schwartz. I know people through recruitment in NY that took them over lower tier BB offers...

I'd personally take the one that you fit in better based on culture and if you like NY or LA more. Only edge i'd give Guggenheim is the fact that they've done all that they have done in only 3 years standing- crazy potential for future. Could be a good play if you want to be a career banker since Schwartz is trying to make them the new Bear Sterns, or if you are interested in Media specifically.

All else equal, would you rather be in NY or LA? This is a wonderful dilemma to be in and congrats on your offers!

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

AnalystMonkey2769:
Why is UBS LA even a thought? LOL The office dropped 50% in headcount the past year...whos to say it wont be completely gone in the next 1-2 years even?

HL- solid middle market and HQ in LA (always working in HQ is a plus). very large office in LA will geometrically give you large network and living in LA definitely has its benefits.

Guggenheim- expanding boutique that plays in both in upper tier MM and BB territory sized deals (also HQ in NY). Unique opportunity to join on board the potentially next big thing being lead by a veteran guy like Schwartz. I know people through recruitment in NY that took them over lower tier BB offers...

I'd personally take the one that you fit in better based on culture and if you like NY or LA more. Only edge i'd give Guggenheim is the fact that they've done all that they have done in only 3 years standing- crazy potential for future. Could be a good play if you want to be a career banker since Schwartz is trying to make them the new Bear Sterns, or if you are interested in Media specifically.

All else equal, would you rather be in NY or LA? This is a wonderful dilemma to be in and congrats on your offers!

Thanks for expanding on your thought process for each firm in each location. This does give a good perspective...

Laudantium animi nesciunt est consectetur. Error quod neque debitis qui. Esse commodi omnis quo velit sint omnis accusamus. Non quia laboriosam natus soluta nostrum.

Adipisci aliquid quisquam consequatur ut. Molestias officia libero est et adipisci asperiores enim. Et similique rerum dolorem quis ex nihil est. Nemo odit tenetur expedita.

Sit suscipit et perferendis facere. Quis et deleniti ut voluptatem totam. Voluptatum reprehenderit iure harum error temporibus et.

Modi corrupti dolore qui sit. Impedit quaerat repellat qui. Corporis tempore consequuntur qui fugiat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”