I'm a high school senior currently trying to decide my major (as I'll be going to college in the fall), and while I decided on finance some time ago, I'm having some concerns with it now. Mainly, I'm worried that I'll have to work long hours and not have any time to spend with my friends and family, and enjoy life. Maybe my wants are impossible, so I thought coming to a knowledgeable community like this would be wise. Here are the things I'm looking for in the job:
Ideal Career Path
- Decent pay: I'm not looking to make huge salaries. Making $100,000 after 10 years or so working is decent to me. From what I've read, this isn't unreasonable at all in the finance industry.
- Low hours: I don't want to work more than 40-50 hours per week, on a consistent basis. Going over that several weeks per year doesn't bother me, but any more than that doesn't allow me enough time to do the things I enjoy in life.
- Attainable: I've read about jobs as a financial analyst in a Fortune 500 company meeting these exact qualifications, but I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect to land one of these jobs, or any other job that meets my qualifications, for that matter. I must have a good chance of landing said job, more or less straight out of college.
If anyone has ideas of jobs that would match my needs, please reply with the information that you have.
Career Advice for a HS Senior
While a lot of people on WSO are looking for careers where they know they'll have to work long hours, it's understandable if someone wants more of a work/life balance. OP is being very proactive in his career planning as a HS senior. Here is some advice and feedback from the WSO community:
- Just enjoy college
- Wait until your sophomore year before worrying about your career
- Focus on what you're interested in
- Plan on working hard for 2 or 3 years which could set you up for the future
Possible Jobs that Meet this Criteria
- Commercial banking
- Product manager at a bank
- Government regulator in financial services
- Financial analyst at oil and gas company
- Financial leadership development program at large corporation
- Work to Live Not Live to Work: Low Stress Finance Jobs
- Jobs with Least Responsibility
- Jobs with the Best Hours Most Pay with an MBA
- Finance Jobs 60 Hours a Week or Less
Looking for guidance in your career?
With a network of more than 200 mentors, WSO's Mentor Service can help increase your chance of landing a job by over 12x. Our mentors are top employees at the most selective firms. Find your mentor today.