Lazard's $400m Mistake

I read an interesting article on Reuters this morning. In regards to Tesla's deal with SolarCity, Evercore was Tesla's sole advisor, with Lazard working on the SolarCity side.

Evercore will earn an estimated $15-20 million in buy-side advisory fees, according to the consultant Freeman & Co., while Lazard will earn between $20-25 million.

According to a regulatory filing by Tesla on Wednesday, Lazard made an error in its analysis which discounted the value of SolarCity by $400 million. An analysis by Lazard for SolarCity that indicated an equity value of between $14.75 and $34.00 per share was wrong because it double-counted some of the company's projected indebtedness

While the purchase price was within the valuation range that Lazard came up with for SolarCity even after accounting for the miscalculation, the error illustrates how even leading investment banks can make mistakes on some of the highest-profile deals.

SolarCity and Tesla agreed however that the error would not change their view of the deal, according to the filing. The purchase price, to be paid with Tesla stock, equated to $25.37 per share.

Lazard, SolarCity and Tesla declined to comment.

What do you think will happen to the Lazard team working on the deal in terms of bonuses etc? I'm just a tad curious.

Seriously how do you mess up projected indebtedness...

but also, who failed to review this?

Director of Finance and Corporate Development: 2020 - Present Manager of FP&A and Corporate Development: 2019 - 2020 Corporate Finance, Strategy and Development: 2011 - 2019 "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

NuclearPenguins:

Wonder how badly the analyst(s) on that deal is getting reamed right now. Really the blame shouldn't be on them exclusively but still haha.

While this a pretty monumental fuck up on the analyst's behalf, should the blame not ultimately fall on those responsible for checking the analyst's work? This wasn't a minor line item which slipped through the cracks, this is something which should have noticeably stuck out.

Yeah, especially on a high profile deal like this. Why would you not double check everything, especially if the deal looks a little too good to be true.

Founder, Achievable - smart, modern FINRA prep for the FINRA SIE. Chapter 1 is free to try: [Achievable.me](https://achievable.me?utm_source=wso)

There could be a lot more to this. The SolarCity-Tesla merger was pretty clearly orchestrated by Elon Musk as a sort of bailout of the former by the latter, with relatively unclear and highly objectionable projected synergies. Mistakes happen but when they occur during a somewhat opaque, highly criticized transaction and to the tune of a sum close to a half a billion dollars, I'm skeptical.

Then again, I could just be talking out of my ass, and probably am for that matter. Any thoughts?

OleBurnSides:

There could be a lot more to this. The SolarCity-Tesla merger was pretty clearly orchestrated by Elon Musk as a sort of bailout of the former by the latter, with relatively unclear and highly objectionable projected synergies. Mistakes happen but when they occur during a somewhat opaque, highly criticized transaction and to the tune of a sum close to a half a billion dollars, I'm skeptical.

Then again, I could just be talking out of my ass, and probably am for that matter. Any thoughts?

Aren't most projected synergies highly objectionable? I think there are studies out there that management typically has overconfidence in projected synergies.

RobberBaron123:
OleBurnSides:

There could be a lot more to this. The SolarCity-Tesla merger was pretty clearly orchestrated by Elon Musk as a sort of bailout of the former by the latter, with relatively unclear and highly objectionable projected synergies. Mistakes happen but when they occur during a somewhat opaque, highly criticized transaction and to the tune of a sum close to a half a billion dollars, I'm skeptical.Then again, I could just be talking out of my ass, and probably am for that matter. Any thoughts?

Aren't most projected synergies highly objectionable? I think there are studies out there that management typically has overconfidence in projected synergies.

Dude, if it weren't for the questionable projected synergies, IB would've been a lot smaller.

Best Response

While I admit I don't know all the fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Lazard were given a ridiculously short time to provide their opinion so although I don't want to defend them, you have to accept that errors will be made if you ask for the impossible. That being said, as I former analyst that didn't have the best attention to detail, I really feel for whoever fucked up

they will be taken out behind the shed ... and over barrels ... and a bunch people will go all "Deliverance" up in their ass.

"I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. " -GG

The best part about this thread was the featured picture. Damn Lizard!

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

This mistake probably didn't even matter. The DCF is only one of the methods to wrap your head around what you should pay, and probably not even the most decisive one. Also the range was so big that people probably didn't even look at it.

Also most DCFs are made like this: "Hey analyst A, can you make a DCF for company B so that valuation will be around 2B?". Without the mistake he probably would have lowered the value in some other way.

This video is a great explanation of investment banking deal in details for those trying to understand what ib is. Damodaran is one of the people who is all valuation. His VALUATION book is in many MUST READ lists along with THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR by Ben Graham. I too feel bad for the analyst who has been working on it but again its up to other and more experienced eyes to spot these kinds of things.

Enim deserunt eius asperiores unde dolores. Saepe recusandae qui modi quas ut. Repellat quis voluptate modi sunt eaque ut iusto. Deserunt nobis ut qui quam architecto. Qui doloremque natus in quis.

Non error sit vel nesciunt. Exercitationem porro perspiciatis aut accusamus voluptate vel commodi. Asperiores tempora impedit quas voluptatem.

Dolores quam officiis cumque est aliquam qui soluta. Ex id animi alias praesentium deleniti voluptas. Ab voluptas vero distinctio. Enim labore recusandae sunt porro voluptatem accusamus. Aut voluptatem qui aut sint harum molestiae. Est et perferendis quaerat ipsum.

Velit consequatur et et molestiae suscipit eaque. Nam voluptate quia amet sed nemo et vitae. Eaque numquam rerum vel est asperiores amet atque voluptas. Et commodi delectus cumque quod laboriosam quas iure.

Consequuntur harum aspernatur illo ut quae quia. Eaque consequuntur hic consequatur aspernatur quas odit nemo. Sed et quam et at voluptas dolorem quo.

Officia occaecati deserunt atque nobis est iste. Est dignissimos qui distinctio ducimus. Nesciunt molestiae voluptates harum voluptatem praesentium.

Harum explicabo libero autem non est deserunt. Consequatur nam doloremque est molestias eum consequatur quia. Commodi sint nisi modi. Veniam sint eveniet repellendus vel occaecati dolorem omnis. Suscipit fuga atque autem. Quia assumenda dicta nemo labore et nemo iure voluptatum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”