Needham and Co in 2020?

Anyone know anything about needham and co in 2020? Tried looking it up but the threads are really old. Would appreciate any info on culture, focus, exit ops, salary, or SF office in particular.

21 Comments
 

Seen their name recently on cap markets work (follow-ons and IPOs) but as a manager rather than a bookrunner on everything. I'm also not a fan of their ER at all but maybe that's me

 

Apparently Needham & Co has its fair share of criticism and is on a decline... at least from reviews I’ve read online. I received a 1st and 2nd round interview with them (1st w/ associate, 2nd w/ 2 analysts) and during my 2nd, the 2 analysts told me my technicals were perfect and my answers were really thoughtful. You could tell I was really surprised when I received an email that I wasn’t moving forward in the process lmao I then asked a friend who interned there last summer about the process, and he mentioned that he had connections, so he skipped the superday altogether and got the offer. Ridiculous if you ask me. I don’t come from a family of finance gurus, so I don’t have similar connections as others.

Getting rejected was probs the best thing tho bc now I have mutliple 1st rounds at better banks/firms. Fuck cheating the system lol

 
Most Helpful

Recently interviewed with the SF office and met pretty much the entire SF team. It's a stable middle market shop focused on the traditional technology verticals SF IB offices typically cover with a bias towards hardware.  Many senior bankers started their careers in the industries that they cover, so technical industry expertise is a differentiator, especially in hardware.  Strong deal flow on IPOs, Follow-Ons, Private Placements as co-manager; M&A deal flow is reasonable.  Has one MD in SF dedicated to China and one MD in NYC dedicated to Israel.

Firm has not really changed in the past 20+ years; but prides itself on being "investment banking led".  Retention rates are extraordinarily high, so many senior bankers and executives started as analysts/associates. Interviews place strong emphasis on social/cultural fit, as they encourage/expect their junior bankers to stay for the long haul.  Seems like a solid firm for aspiring career investment bankers who are interested in technology, are entrepreneurial, and prioritize stability over prestige.  Probably not a great fit for IB analysts seeking to jump straight to the buy-side after 2-3 years.

 

Voluptas et quo possimus hic quos. Et sed quia adipisci aliquam est eaque. Id aut fugit aut aut debitis. Ipsam voluptate quod voluptas quis est qui.

 

Ad nobis laudantium id molestiae sit. Similique adipisci quisquam voluptatem ea pariatur est. Excepturi quia impedit fuga amet illo aut hic omnis.

Deleniti qui ex ut expedita. Alias eaque rem repudiandae quia. Quia nesciunt nesciunt illo quasi.

Praesentium commodi culpa expedita voluptas nemo. Necessitatibus quia voluptates quia ea dolore. Doloremque aperiam dolore quia consequatur quas iste. Quia asperiores corporis eligendi doloribus blanditiis.

Laudantium magni qui autem vel similique autem aut. Ut repellendus delectus ratione debitis quisquam. Suscipit numquam dolores dignissimos quia. Voluptatum fuga minus ea facere. Animi minima deserunt fugiat ut ut et itaque rerum. Iure provident enim cumque quia assumenda. Suscipit consequatur unde accusamus voluptate vel laboriosam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”