Apparently Needham & Co has its fair share of criticism and is on a decline... at least from reviews I’ve read online. I received a 1st and 2nd round interview with them (1st w/ associate, 2nd w/ 2 analysts) and during my 2nd, the 2 analysts told me my technicals were perfect and my answers were really thoughtful. You could tell I was really surprised when I received an email that I wasn’t moving forward in the process lmao I then asked a friend who interned there last summer about the process, and he mentioned that he had connections, so he skipped the superday altogether and got the offer. Ridiculous if you ask me. I don’t come from a family of finance gurus, so I don’t have similar connections as others.

Getting rejected was probs the best thing tho bc now I have mutliple 1st rounds at better banks/firms. Fuck cheating the system lol

Most Helpful

Recently interviewed with the SF office and met pretty much the entire SF team. It's a stable middle market shop focused on the traditional technology verticals SF IB offices typically cover with a bias towards hardware.  Many senior bankers started their careers in the industries that they cover, so technical industry expertise is a differentiator, especially in hardware.  Strong deal flow on IPOs, Follow-Ons, Private Placements as co-manager; M&A deal flow is reasonable.  Has one MD in SF dedicated to China and one MD in NYC dedicated to Israel.

Firm has not really changed in the past 20+ years; but prides itself on being "investment banking led".  Retention rates are extraordinarily high, so many senior bankers and executives started as analysts/associates. Interviews place strong emphasis on social/cultural fit, as they encourage/expect their junior bankers to stay for the long haul.  Seems like a solid firm for aspiring career investment bankers who are interested in technology, are entrepreneurial, and prioritize stability over prestige.  Probably not a great fit for IB analysts seeking to jump straight to the buy-side after 2-3 years.

Et possimus placeat vel quaerat necessitatibus non voluptates harum. Deserunt debitis quo et occaecati consequatur velit accusantium non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”