Partners Group 2022 FA Program

Anyone here apply to this? Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet. Based on the info session we had at my school back in May, first round interviews should be next week or the week after and I still have yet to hear from them (which is surprising given how many people I had great convos with there).

Even for those who didn't apply but still know about the firm, what are your thoughts on PG/what's the word on the street?

Thank you for your time -- it would be much appreciated if you would be willing to share the interview process and your overall experience with the firm and the people. I've only interviewed with investment banks -- what type of questions can I expect, any areas I should be studying for beyond traditional IB technicals (accounting, valuation, LBO, accretion/dilution, etc). Also would love to hear your thoughts on their FA program and if you think its worthwhile to take over a reputable IB offer (did you accept yours?). Thank you! 

Most Helpful

On Interviews: The overall process consisted of a couple (2-3?) phone interviews and a Super Day, which was ~5 back to back interviews. One of the phone interviews (the one right before the Super Day) was much longer (~1hr) than the others (~30min). The Super Day was interesting... aside from interviews that were more typical in format, there was an investment case study and a 'Partners Group Presentation' interview, where you had to do a mock simulation of a presentation about Partners Group to a prospective investor. 

On Technicals: There were very limited technical questions throughout the interview process. In fact, I got 0 accretion/dilution, 0 valuation, and 0 accounting. There were some LBO type questions (e.g. what is a LBO, what makes a good LBO candidate, compare these two imaginary companies for a LBO, etc.) but all of them focused much more on theoretical rather than technical aspects. I wasn't given any numbers; I was just asked to speak qualitatively. All of this said, I came from a Liberal Arts school, so I'm not sure if they gave me an easier time on technicals (compared to say someone from Wharton/Stern).

On Preparing: Honestly, I wouldn't really recommend stressing the technicals too much. I'd actually recommend you spend a lot of time reading about Partners Group and speaking with investment professionals there. That Partners Group presentation is not intuitive (especially coming in as an outsider), and there's a ton of info about the company floating on the web that takes time to understand and structure into a presentation. From what I've heard of previous Analysts and people who have interviewed them, there have been quite a few candidates who were dinged because they insufficiently prepared for this part of the interview.

People: Extremely friendly - some of the nicest folks I've interacted with in PE (I interviewed with all the MF for Analyst positions). 

On the offer: I did not take my offer; went to MBB instead because it was a better personal fit for my interests. 

General Thoughts on FA Program: I think this is a pretty great program out of college, conditional on three questions.

1) Do you mind living in CO? Though PG's NA HQ is close to Denver, it's not in Denver itself, so would you be okay with that? While a few Analysts are pulled to NYC or Houston (only for Infra) for their 2nd or 3rd year, this is the exception not the norm; most people are based in CO.

2) Are you okay with not doing direct investing? I think people often forget that a good number of the possible rotations for this program aren't direct investing positions. For example, you could get placed in Secondaries (and you should ask yourself - would I be okay with that?). Some people care a lot about doing direct investing, and if you're worried that you might not always be doing that, you have a legitimate concern. 

3) How long are you looking to stay at PG - do you want to leave after 2 years, or grow within the company? This is the type of firm that isn't as great just used as a stepping stone but could be a great place if you're looking for a long term career with the firm. Just from looking on Linkedin, I had a hard time figuring out what the potential exits look like - granted, the program was newer when I had applied.

That said, if you network a lot, I've been told that you may have the option to stay in direct investing capacities during the program.

My answer as to whether it's worthwhile to take over a reputable IB offer would depend on what you think about those three questions.

Had a few friends that interviewed last year, here’s what I learned:

The interviews are not very technical. It’s mostly a behavioral thing, and not even traditional behaviorals. My understanding is that they want to see you’ve been drinking the PG koolaid. I would suggest reading any and everything you can find on the online.

Additionally, I would have strong reasons for why the opportunity is compelling and what groups you would want to rotate through.

Anyone here yet have an interview? How'd it go? Curious to hear about it.

First round phone interview was completely behavioral and casual -- wouldn't stress over it at all 

In terms of getting first round, or hearing back after first round? I think all first rounds are out by now... Mine was also recently. 

Nope. Probably won't for a couple weeks I would imagine since nobody (here) knows when interviews wrap up. Curious as to how many people they're interviewing in the first round. Thought I read somewhere they take 10-12 analysts for the program.  

Analyst program seems to be ramping up. Their private equity team has had some solid deals and exits in the past year. GlobalLogic 10 billion sale to Hitachi

Yeah forreal just saw that, I'm hoping things work out for me there. Also I read on Pitchbook last week Denver is becoming more of a tech hub and PE deal volume is up 70% in the area so it makes me wonder if now would be a good time to get plugged in and working in the area. 

Did you apply, or are you currently FT in PE somewhere else?

Have a friend who is on the PE team there. They've really invested into their analyst program / US franchise the past three years. 

May be a good sign for u. I'm OP and after the first person commented dinged, I heard back about 1st round a few days later.

Haven't heard back either -- HR said the week of August 2nd we'll be notified about Super Days so I expect we'll get something by the end of the week

They said we'll hear back within a week, but as usual I expect candidates who get offers will be notified by the end of this week with rejections coming out early next week. 

It's a platform that's had massive growth over the last decade and, as somebody else noted, has invested a lot in its U.S. franchise, as it was traditionally very European. I don't know much about the analyst program but at least at the MBA associate level, you get quite a bit of good exposure out of the gate, rotating through a few different investment teams before you settle in your ultimate group. Pay at the associate level is WAY below market, and the Glassdoor data here is pretty accurate: base pay (at least historically, no idea if they've had Covid adjustments like many others) tops out at ~$150k but starts at more like $105-110k. I've never been able to figure out why this is but know people who work there so feel pretty confident in the accuracy of the numbers.

Do you have any idea on the total compensation for analysts? I understand that the base is 95k for first years, but any ranges for bonuses? 

During my interviews they said most people stay on at PG to be promoted to associates. Apparently they only had 2 analysts exit the firm and that was because they didn't get promoted due to performance issues. 

Partners group is a solid back up option. Think of it like a safety school, nice to have that offer in your back pocket as you go for the real jobs.

I interviewed there a few years ago when I was in my analyst days in IB. Had to do a few phone interviews and then a mock investment presentation. Was kind of excited as the role sounded cool, but then the comp in my offer letter was so low I just never even responded back.

Corporis id aspernatur quod ut saepe quisquam nostrum at. Exercitationem ut quis eaque voluptas reiciendis quos impedit consequatur. Autem eum voluptatem tempora ut est consectetur quaerat explicabo.

Ex iusto iure est facilis laudantium. Error aspernatur aut inventore eos quis minus minus.

Et doloribus enim quas occaecati necessitatibus. Sed minima nulla possimus aut. Eligendi consequatur alias optio. Et totam dicta nesciunt commodi. Quo et adipisci delectus eligendi et officia pariatur. Quo aut culpa harum quisquam excepturi. Magnam voluptas optio praesentium tenetur molestiae consequatur excepturi.

Qui aliquam sint beatae aliquid magni. Aliquid ut quo quod consequatur est unde est sapiente. In est laborum earum quam rerum et. Harum et corrupti omnis est nobis architecto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”