Private Equity MegaFund Recruiting Process - Summer 2013

Hey,

As we approach the beginning of the 2013 process, wanted to get the updates on Funds that people are in contact with. We can make this an official thread if people would like.

I have been to a few cocktail events and coffee chats with Apollo, KKR, BX. However, I am more interested in their Credit/Special Sits businesses but I know they begin at the same time.

I was told by KKR (know a senior person in HR) that their process will start Jan 7th regardless of when everyone else goes.

Few ques.
Assuming the mega funds go Mon Jan 7th, is it fair to say that most people will have offers by the that weekend?

Also, anyone familiar with credit/distressed sides like KKR Asset Management and Apollo Distressed do they have Case Studies/model tests?

Any additional info anyone else can provide would be helpful.

Insider Look to the PE Recruiting Process.

Marcus_Halberstram:
Megafunds are not going that early. Will more likely be towards the last week of Jan, possibly even into Feb.

Mid-Jan was initially the intent but its been pushed (across the board) for a variety of reasons.

PM me about SSG/credit.

I remember the 2011 or 2010 recruiting round when you were also very adamant that recruiting "definitely hadn't started yet" when it was already in full swing.

May start as soon as the week of Jan. 7th. If you're already going to coffee chats / networking sessions I imagine you're on the target list for interviews so would be ready anytime for an interview invite.

Side note even though these firms haven't started formal interviews they've been recruiting for a while now through coffee chats, networking sessions, dinners, etc, so if you haven't already been going to those you're essentially SOL for getting an interview

ricottacheese:
May start as soon as the week of Jan. 7th. If you're already going to coffee chats / networking sessions I imagine you're on the target list for interviews so would be ready anytime for an interview invite.

Side note even though these firms haven't started formal interviews they've been recruiting for a while now through coffee chats, networking sessions, dinners, etc, so if you haven't already been going to those you're essentially SOL for getting an interview

How does one go about getting these networking sessions, dinners, etc? Are theses invites through headhunters? Thanks!

bbfun:
ricottacheese:

How does one go about getting these networking sessions, dinners, etc? Are theses invites through headhunters? Thanks!

At this point most (if not all) of the coffee chats/sessions/dinners are over and firms have solidified their interview list and will be proceeding with interviews in jan/feb. if you're not already loop i'd reach out the headhunters ASAP to express your interest and provide the most updated resume

to answer your question, headhunters typically give the names to the firms. the firms will either reach out to candidates directly with details about the event or the headhunter will plan it, can happen either way

No one has any "interviews" yet. Although many have attended coffee chats, networking sessions.. etc. I think if you are part of that group, you should probably be in the loop with the rest of them. The process moves pretty quickly after it starts so I think the MFs will act quickly to court the remaining candidates.

Analysts in my group last year, (im at what WSO considers an elite boutique) if my memory serves me right, got interviews at pretty much all of MFs.

I just want to get this over with already haha

theworks9:
No one has any "interviews" yet. Although many have attended coffee chats, networking sessions.. etc. I think if you are part of that group, you should probably be in the loop with the rest of them. The process moves pretty quickly after it starts so I think the MFs will act quickly to court the remaining candidates.

Analysts in my group last year, (im at what WSO considers an elite boutique) if my memory serves me right, got interviews at pretty much all of MFs.

I just want to get this over with already haha

Mostly depends on group. Topmost groups (GS TMT / MS M&A / BX R&R / GS FIG, maybe a few others) will be invited to everything and will essentially get their pick when it comes to where they want to interview. Groups in the tier below will often be invited to most funds and get interviews at a good number but not all. Groups in the tier below that will maybe be invited to 1-2.

Not sure thats the case across the board. I've been engaged in 3 of the processes and after attending each of the 3 events I was contacted after to tell me "stay tuned for interview schedules coming in Jan.". Second difference is I'm in some but not all MF processes. Guess it depends on MF, candidate bank and background.

That's what I was trying to figure out. Thx.

dukebanker12:
i might get shit for this, but does GPA play a big factor in the MF process. assuming one is in a top group (GS/MS), does having a 3.7-3.8 put one at a huge disadvantage? or do most ppl that go to MFs have 3.9+?

honest question. thanks in advance

won't matter much. definitely not a huge disadvantage. now if you're talking about group comparisons then one might put you at a huge disadvantage relative to a better one (or, more accurately, some may put you at a much better advantage relative to others)

dukebanker12:
i might get shit for this, but does GPA play a big factor in the MF process. assuming one is in a top group (GS/MS), does having a 3.7-3.8 put one at a huge disadvantage? or do most ppl that go to MFs have 3.9+?

honest question. thanks in advance

a 3.7-3.8 is a really solid GPA, but I can see Silver Lake, Bain). Can anyone confirm?

Has anybody interned/been through Apollo's process for credit SA?

[quote]The HBS guys have MAD SWAGGER. They frequently wear their class jackets to boston bars, strutting and acting like they own the joint. They just ooze success, confidence, swagger, basically attributes of alpha males.[/quote]

if i do not have a respectable SAT score, would you guys recommend i take time my last semester in school to just prep a lot for the GMAT? i have no intention of going to grad school (personal reasons/financial costs) so if i spend time studying for GMAT it would just be to help me for PE recruiting to have it on my resume to help offset my gpa that will be a 3.5

any thoughts much appreciated, SB to best answer!

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

Swagerer: Nope we are talking FT PE recruiting, Post banking...dont know how we got so far off topic

AnalystMonkey2769: There are many factors that will determine whether or not your resume will be selected and the GMAT is probably on the low end. I wouldn't study for the GMAT just to improve my chances for PE recruiting. Just my 2 cents..But this is a thread to discuss the current PE recruiting process, you may get better answers if you start another thread with your ques

theworks9:
Swagerer: Nope we are talking FT PE recruiting, Post banking...dont know how we got so far off topic

AnalystMonkey2769: There are many factors that will determine whether or not your resume will be selected and the GMAT is probably on the low end. I wouldn't study for the GMAT just to improve my chances for PE recruiting. Just my 2 cents..But this is a thread to discuss the current PE recruiting process, you may get better answers if you start another thread with your ques

point taken. thank you!

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

my upper MM PE firm (some consider it MF) went last spring but will be bringing in 1-2 additional associates, focused on GS candidates. starting interviews this week and expect to be done relatively quickly.

have several friends from MFs who are holding interviews this week, at least 2 of whom will be likely finished by the end of next week.

moneymogul:
Didn't even know that you could still interview for MFs in your second year. Are the positions offered to 2nd years the ones that remain unfilled from the previous year's 1st yr recruitment round?
Usually you can't but this year's cycle is different (for the class of 2011 analysts). A lot of MM and upper MM firms recruited last March for Summer 2013 starts but megafunds held off until now (apparently because they weren't happy that they were forced to recruit in March 2011 for Summer 2012 starts during the previous cycle) so what you see is lots of second years (those finishing their analyst programs this year) recruiting.

I think at this point if you are a second year your groups have to be somewhat supportive. You only have ~5months left. Regardless, I think there are always some people on your team that are going to be more supportive than others. Theyll have to bear with you, its only 1-2weeks atleast for the MF process.

Woke up to several missed calls this morning from recruiters. The process has officially kicked off for this weekend...when I called back to schedule my interviews the recruiters sounded like they were in pure panic mode haha.

The most annoying part is that they are all going this Sunday and they all told me 3hrs each. So i have 12hrs of interviews on a Sunday. Ridiculous if you ask me, what at this point nothing anyone can do.

Anyways, good luck to all

theworks9:
Woke up to several missed calls this morning from recruiters. The process has officially kicked off for this weekend...when I called back to schedule my interviews the recruiters sounded like they were in pure panic mode haha.

The most annoying part is that they are all going this Sunday and they all told me 3hrs each. So i have 12hrs of interviews on a Sunday. Ridiculous if you ask me, what at this point nothing anyone can do.

TopBracketGS/MSAnalystProblems

Awon Eleyi Awon Eleyi Won Bad Gan:
theworks9:

TopBracketGS/MSAnalystProblems

I actually work at what many on WSO consider an elite boutique. So neither MS or GS. .. Anyways, just trying to share information bro. Try reaching out to headhunters now, I would say at this point there is still a ton of opportunity to get in front of these funds

On another note, I am curious why the firms need 3 hours. The interview confirmations said I was only meeting with 3 people for 2 of the firms. Does anyone know if the excess time will be spent doing a model test? (seems like a short amount of time for one). Also does anyone know if the MFs have model tests in the first round? I heard only Warburg and Apax does that.

Im not sure about KKR and TPG, but I know Apollo did not administer a modeling test last year. Anyone that can confirm, it would be very helpful. Thanks

For the first years (even the ones at GS and MS), dont let MM recruiting pass you by in hopes of dreams of KKR. In reality, the odds are against you for any buyside position. Many of the MM positions pay just as much as the megafunds positions, with the possibility of a better fit/hours.

And there always is the possibility of getting the MM offer and recruiting with the megafunds - as someone posted earlier, yeah itll fuck you over with the recruiter - but in all honesty, who cares? There are tons of recruiters and theres a good chance the one that placed you in the MM doesnt cover the megafunds anyway. I decided to forego recruiting because I was happy with where I landed and the thought of going through more interviews was too shitty.

bigbadanalyst:
For the first years (even the ones at GS and MS), dont let MM recruiting pass you by in hopes of dreams of KKR. In reality, the odds are against you for any buyside position. Many of the MM positions pay just as much as the megafunds positions, with the possibility of a better fit/hours.

And there always is the possibility of getting the MM offer and recruiting with the megafunds - as someone posted earlier, yeah itll fuck you over with the recruiter - but in all honesty, who cares? There are tons of recruiters and theres a good chance the one that placed you in the MM doesnt cover the megafunds anyway. I decided to forego recruiting because I was happy with where I landed and the thought of going through more interviews was too shitty.

The superstars have faith in their ability to get a MF job. As they should.

bigbadanalyst:

Heard that... process is a nightmare... would hate to go through that stress again...

bigbadanalyst:
Right, but how many of the people on this board fit the bill? At most 5 people will get that KKR NY offer - I would argue the odds are against even the "superstars"

(Guy who has never met preftigious superstars)

You'd be surprised by the guys who lurk this board. I'm sure there are a lot of preftigious dudes on the WSO member list with less than 50 posts. These are the guys who only post to ask preftigious questions about preftigious options with preftigious funds.

ixjunitxi:
Yes KKR PE gave out some offers this morning. KAM, not sure? TPG Cap also gave out some offers last night. It is still early in the process tho. Still alot of seats to fill

Do you know what firms/groups those people came from?

bananawhore:
ixjunitxi:
Yes KKR PE gave out some offers this morning. KAM, not sure? TPG Cap also gave out some offers last night. It is still early in the process tho. Still alot of seats to fill

Do you know what firms/groups those people came from?

Noone is going to know the exact answer to this, probably even the people at the actual firms other than the staff running the process. In general, you can suspect these top megafunds have targeted GS analysts with a tilt towards TMT and FIG, MS M&A (those who held out), and any remaining analysts from product groups and elite boutiques did not sign in the process during spring 2012

When you guys say 'limited' offers, why would any MF give out less than the class size they're looking to fill given that most final rounds have already happened? Is it a bad sign that you don't get callbacks right after / night of your final round if your interviewers have been saying good job and replying to your emails?

Anybody inside the MF recruiting process can shed some light?

ibanker09:
When you guys say 'limited' offers, why would any MF give out less than the class size they're looking to fill given that most final rounds have already happened? Is it a bad sign that you don't get callbacks right after / night of your final round if your interviewers have been saying good job and replying to your emails?

Anybody inside the MF recruiting process can shed some light?

I think people say limited because the process is still ongoing and all offers have not been given out. Also I think the first group of candidates were considered "high priority" and after that they go on to the next group within a limited scope of course. I think if you are not getting call backs pretty quickly aka within 24hrs that's not a great sign. Someone else may be able to chime in here but it's unlikely that you will get a call a few days from now for another round (but I'm not completely sure)

Also what do you mean by your interviewers have been getting back to you? Are you sending them thank you notes and they are replying? I don't see how them replying can be viewed as "very telling" for you

Where do analysts from BX R&R or M&A fit into this? There are a couple threads from 1-3 years ago detailing how those guys placed lights-out, but all I'm seeing here is the usual WSO masturbation to GS TMT/FIG, MS M&A, Lazard/Greenhill etc.

I am a current college student, admittedly, but I'm sitting on summer offers from each of the top BBs and gunning for a slot at BX. Just curious how they place.

Some Unknown:
Where do analysts from BX R&R or M&A fit into this? There are a couple threads from 1-3 years ago detailing how those guys placed lights-out, but all I'm seeing here is the usual WSO masturbation to GS TMT/FIG, MS M&A, Lazard/Greenhill etc.

I am a current college student, admittedly, but I'm sitting on summer offers from each of the top BBs and gunning for a slot at BX. Just curious how they place.

BX M&A will typically have top placement mixed between top megafunds, upper MMs and top hedge funds - have heard that this is certainly the case for the class of 2011 BX R&R will typically have 80+% placement into top HFs which makes sense given the type of work in R&R and the kind of person attracted to work like that

Some Unknown:

In almost the exact situation. Are you interviewing for M&A or RR or both?

Understand the season's over, but anybody have helpful comments on BX RR/M&A? (On a side note, because I imagine BX's classes are smaller, how is the social element different at a BX group than an elite BB?)

Some Unknown:

Where do analysts from BX R&R or M&A fit into this? There are a couple threads from 1-3 years ago detailing how those guys placed lights-out, but all I'm seeing here is the usual WSO masturbation to GS TMT/FIG, MS M&A, Lazard/Greenhill etc. I am a current college student, admittedly, but I'm sitting on summer offers from each of the top BBs and gunning for a slot at BX. Just curious how they place.

BX M&A:

Apollo Carlyle NEA Associates Luxor Capital PointState Capital Warburg Pincus

Vero inventore temporibus omnis doloremque laudantium laborum. Possimus dolorem nisi eos quia explicabo. Nisi voluptatem numquam a et sunt temporibus amet reprehenderit.

Minus in quis pariatur non amet qui eum ea. Numquam qui aut sint. Recusandae quasi ex non doloribus rem.

Accusamus voluptates vero nihil quos dolore. Voluptate perspiciatis incidunt non atque a. Est quia esse doloribus itaque commodi neque quia.

Dolor nobis mollitia aliquid recusandae consequatur impedit iure. Eum debitis illum voluptas illum. Quam eos possimus ut et. Qui rerum placeat deleniti itaque quos ab. Et quia temporibus iusto.

Expedita aut ipsam ex rerum dicta voluptas. Dolor ut rerum dolorem consequatur ea. Enim esse vel numquam ipsa ipsa. Voluptas aut quia dolores autem voluptatem. Quae voluptatem id odio et. Cum et quo rerum laboriosam ad.

Best Response

Autem ad sunt reprehenderit sint et. Maxime et aut et ipsa et. Optio eos vero eveniet enim. Dolor quia non sit est qui laboriosam voluptatem commodi. Voluptas placeat beatae voluptatem quibusdam eveniet eum commodi est.

Error fuga quia at repudiandae maxime. Eos nulla ipsam magnam ut sapiente doloribus consequatur eum.

Maiores rem in aliquid aperiam ipsa. Eius repellat nihil sint commodi. Quis officiis vitae labore sit odio consequatur omnis culpa.

Accusamus consequatur aut optio eveniet dolore fugit porro. Et et a quisquam eos veniam quibusdam. Officiis placeat aut quos beatae. Quos voluptatem dolore atque quia.

Voluptas doloremque molestiae commodi qui nulla alias corrupti. Similique corrupti ducimus aut. Molestiae rem vitae labore nemo hic tenetur distinctio. Maiores aut modi veritatis quia molestiae nesciunt.

Quos aspernatur molestias iure qui quod veniam sint voluptas. Nihil voluptatibus sint excepturi esse sint ea. Cupiditate ut architecto laudantium voluptatem incidunt. Quis debitis fugit eaque quidem ab pariatur.

dollas

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”