SA 2021 Housing?

I accepted an offer with an energy bank down in Houston and I’m from the Texas area so I was wondering how housing works for SA? Do banks usually have places where they house interns? Or am I up to find housing myself? I know the best course of action would be to ask my HR rep but I don’t want to sound weird asking literally 12 months in advance. Also, do banks pay for your SA housing or is that coming from your pay? The bank didn’t mention anything about a relocation stipend for the summer. Don’t know if that’s because I’m only a couple hours away? Is that something that I should ask about come spring or would asking sound douchey? Sorry, new to the logistics of IB and don’t have anyone I can ask. Thanks dudes.

First, you are a year out from your internship, chill.

Second, usually it is up to you to find housing. Your bank can probably give you recommendations, but they probably won’t put you up in a place. You may get a housing stipend, but that is fairly uncommon.

You will make plenty of money from your internship to cover housing, especially in Houston.

No expert here, but from what I've heard you get your prorated salary for the summer and other than that you're on your own. Housing and all that good stuff is out of pocket. Again, not 100%.

for most BB and EBs you get a housing stipend that is 2-3k which by no means covers how much you need but helps. I don’t think any banks actually provide housing directly though. don’t rush finding housing so soon or else you will over pay and be committed to a place a year out and likely regret it

is the housing stipend somethings that should be mentioned in the offer letter? I don’t think I’ll get one tbh. when should I start looking for apartments timeline wise?

You're probably not getting a housing stipend then if it's not in the offer letter. I'd say wait til around Nov-Dec to start to find housing. It'll be harder since most housing stock isn't put online yet. That is, you wont find too many people posting their rooms for rent via AirBNB 6 months out as most people aren't sure of their situation with regard to their unit(s). The advantage that you do have is that you will get decent sized discounts (I've seen ~20-50%) by booking that far in advance and you can even haggle with host. I'd say for sure try to get housing before February as that's when other people will start to get internships and look for housing.

Array

I was on my own for finding housing in Houston this year, went with Airbnb and got a place downtown that I thankfully was refunded fully for. I would recommend messaging hosts and ask if thats the best price they can offer. You'll have some good leverage since youre doing it way ahead of time and are staying for a while. You'll be surprised how many are actually willing to work with you.

Array

Do you recommend looking at Airbnb instead of sub-leasing or a short term lease?

Atque cumque excepturi architecto sequi nemo fugiat odio. Enim nam vitae quasi suscipit in. Ipsam molestiae ea ullam. Nemo assumenda maiores debitis aut veniam eligendi cum. Deleniti at ut quo officiis. Culpa sint totam et quis accusantium.

Consequuntur dolores tempora et veritatis dolor et quibusdam. Est molestiae aut non vitae expedita. Reprehenderit velit iste harum quos minima quia et. Quibusdam impedit possimus aut.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”