The Battle of Financial Modeling Courses in 2020

There are lots of options to learn financial modeling these days. For reading materials, most people recommend Investment Banking (3e) by Rosenbaum & Pearl, Financial Modeling (4e) by Benninga, Valuation (7e) by McKinsey & Company, or Damodaran's (also his YouTube videos). But when it comes to more structured contents, these two courses are always mentioned in Internet forums:

– Breaking into Wall Street (BIWS)
Financial Modeling Premium (Excel and Fundamentals + Advanced Modeling)
$497

Wall Street Prep (WSP)
Financial Modeling Premium Package
$499

It could be said that both courses above are the go-to standard for self-study modeling. However, there are new and rising contenders:

Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)
Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)
$497

– Wall Street Oasis (WSO)
Elite Modeling Package
$447 (soon it will be $497)

These four courses do offer certification after you complete them, but that's not the point since these certificates may be meaningless to employers. We want to talk about their core content. I read that the BIWS package has the best explanation, while the WSP package is what most banks use, more thorough, and includes 30 bonus mini-courses. On the other hand, the FMVA's curriculum seems to lean toward corporate finance and it has templates which, some say, are more modern. Have any of you completed FMVA and would you recommend the program instead of WSP/BIWS? Also, the WSO package looks promising, although the other 3 courses won't be ready until August. For those of you who have enrolled in the WSO modeling courses, what makes them distinct from others? Are they more relevant to current industry practice?

Please discuss.

I am currently going through the FMVA course and finding it to be very engaging, the tutor does a good job in explaining concepts very clearly plus it is very well structured in terms of topics covered. It seems to also dive into corporate finance aspect as opposed to simply focusing on valuation models. I'd consider it a well rounded course

Cant't comment on BIWS or WSP as i have not tried them

Voluptas explicabo beatae quisquam dolorum aut blanditiis. Quod beatae accusamus totam itaque. Quia dolor aspernatur dignissimos hic unde quis qui quis. Molestias veritatis doloremque culpa ut et. Autem dolores velit aut enim aperiam id similique.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”