UK Asset Management Compensation & Hours
Currently working at a boutique in London as an equity analyst. In around 9am, out by 6pm. No weekends, although you obviously track your investments 24/7. Great team and I also have a lot of flexibility e.g. no issues with taking half a day off to sort out personal stuff. Could for example do this twice every month and nobody would say anything. As long as I get my work done, the expectation is to be at my desk maybe 80% of the time. No remote work however. As for mandate, we can pretty much look into anything we want but no individual shorts. I spend 30% of my time looking into stuff the PM requested and the remaining 70% is spent looking into whatever I want to delve into. Salary progression went as follows:
Year 1: £30k + 30% Bonus [£39k tot]
Year 2: £53k + 30% Bonus [£69k tot]
Year 3: £58k + 30% Bonus [£75k tot - Several changes that year, which meant everyone took in less]
There is no guaranteed salary progression at my company so I have no idea what I'll be offered in January.
In short, WLB is great however compensation is below my personal expectations, especially because my bonus is capped. My target is to find a position with a clear path to a total compensation of £150k by my 6th year if not earlier. Is this realistic in the UK? Does anyone know of firms I could look into? I am OK sacrificing WLB. Strategy wise, I like to buy and hold, so no shorting, which means that L/S positions aren't an option.