Dec 02, 2022

2023 SA PIMCO Alt Credit & Priv Strategies

Hi all! I unexpectedly got a first-round hirevue invite for this position for next summer due within like two days.

Just wondering what the role entails and the comp/hours/culture/exit opps/etc... I'm caught off guard because I didn't really put much thought into this position while recruiting for IB in the past two months or so. I did get an offer recently for an IB position that pays well but would be long, hard hours, so I'm sort of open to this opportunity. Another natural thing to add is that most of my interview preparation has been centered around IB, so I do have a technical base knowledge for finance, but it has been a while since I studied these things. I also follow the markets decently, but I feel wholly unprepared for this interview process.

I did some searching around the forum and it seems to be a very well-respected and firmly decent position. Just wondering if anybody else is in the same shoes as myself and knows about this division of PIMCO in general. Thanks!

22 Comments
 
Most Helpful

Did the superday last year - it's faded from my memory but I can try to help.

The team's thesis is basically to invest in anything and everything. It could be oil tankers during a contango event, or something like forestry. (what I was told).

During interviews, they will want to know if you understand how a non-correlated portfolio works and whether you're creative/analytical enough to handle diverse asset classes from a birds-eye view.

Regarding competitiveness, my entire superday round was rejected (yes, everyone). I don't know what their criteria for a good candidate is. It's possible that it could be very "fit-based" and they're willing to wait for the perfect person.

 

The Alt Credit & Private Strategies intern role is the most junior role in PIMCO's alternative investments division which invests primarily in private markets and has grown tremendously over the past couple years due to the search for higher yielding opportunities in a low-rate environment. It is the only investment role offered at PIMCO out of undergrad besides trading and primarily consists of 3 teams: commercial real estate, private distressed credit, and private special situations. Each team is small (20 IPs) and mostly have sell-side experience from GS or other IB/structured credit roles. CRE and Private distressed credit have their own funds while the special situations group invests more opportunistically across different funds and across assets such as music IP, litigation finance, aircraft leasing, etc. 

The internship for this role is split into 2 teams: real estate or private credit. If you are on the RE team (~5-6 interns per year) you will rotate across debt, equity, and asset management. If you are on the private credit team (~4 interns per year) you will rotate across private distressed credit and private special situations. Hours are decent for both teams, 50-60 hours with $100K base. Arguably the most prestigious role at PIMCO for undergrads. 

Source: close friend was an intern in said group

 

Do you think it would have been possible to switch from product to alt credit after summer if one did very well during the internship? Also, from your understanding, what did people exit to from product? Thanks

 

Nam doloremque rerum eveniet alias perspiciatis perspiciatis pariatur aliquam. Ducimus debitis magnam rerum voluptatum ipsa aut. Et aliquam unde a dolor nemo. Labore est eum commodi vel sapiente rem. Voluptatem qui suscipit est. Eum nemo nam et magni eum optio qui.

Iusto similique vel quo a eos qui omnis. Provident ex doloremque dolorem consectetur et ut inventore. Reprehenderit repellendus placeat doloremque tempora facilis laborum. Quibusdam sit minus et. Illum voluptatibus magnam omnis officia vel.

Rem quod voluptas unde dolores vitae dignissimos consectetur. Quibusdam voluptatem dolorum doloremque recusandae. Omnis veritatis neque nobis inventore. Cumque excepturi autem tempora hic. Ut libero possimus odit fuga inventore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”