Dec 02, 2022

2023 SA PIMCO Alt Credit & Priv Strategies

Hi all! I unexpectedly got a first-round hirevue invite for this position for next summer due within like two days.

Just wondering what the role entails and the comp/hours/culture/exit opps/etc... I'm caught off guard because I didn't really put much thought into this position while recruiting for IB in the past two months or so. I did get an offer recently for an IB position that pays well but would be long, hard hours, so I'm sort of open to this opportunity. Another natural thing to add is that most of my interview preparation has been centered around IB, so I do have a technical base knowledge for finance, but it has been a while since I studied these things. I also follow the markets decently, but I feel wholly unprepared for this interview process.

I did some searching around the forum and it seems to be a very well-respected and firmly decent position. Just wondering if anybody else is in the same shoes as myself and knows about this division of PIMCO in general. Thanks!

Sry to hear that man. Do you happen to have any info about the group and how competitive the process is?

When did you also submit the Hirevue btw? I submitted it yesterday and just waiting fora response.

Did the superday last year - it's faded from my memory but I can try to help.

The team's thesis is basically to invest in anything and everything. It could be oil tankers during a contango event, or something like forestry. (what I was told).

During interviews, they will want to know if you understand how a non-correlated portfolio works and whether you're creative/analytical enough to handle diverse asset classes from a birds-eye view.

Regarding competitiveness, my entire superday round was rejected (yes, everyone). I don't know what their criteria for a good candidate is. It's possible that it could be very "fit-based" and they're willing to wait for the perfect person.

Is there any specific technical material you recommend I study?

Should I be reading up on news more than anything? Seems like they invest in a broad range of things, so I would appreciate some pointers on what to look out for in the news or terms to become familiar with should a super day opportunity arise. Thanks.

Most Helpful

The Alt Credit & Private Strategies intern role is the most junior role in PIMCO's alternative investments division which invests primarily in private markets and has grown tremendously over the past couple years due to the search for higher yielding opportunities in a low-rate environment. It is the only investment role offered at PIMCO out of undergrad besides trading and primarily consists of 3 teams: commercial real estate, private distressed credit, and private special situations. Each team is small (<20 IPs) and mostly have sell-side experience from GS or other IB/structured credit roles. CRE and Private distressed credit have their own funds while the special situations group invests more opportunistically across different funds and across assets such as music IP, litigation finance, aircraft leasing, etc. 

The internship for this role is split into 2 teams: real estate or private credit. If you are on the RE team (~5-6 interns per year) you will rotate across debt, equity, and asset management. If you are on the private credit team (~4 interns per year) you will rotate across private distressed credit and private special situations. Hours are decent for both teams, 50-60 hours with $100K base. Arguably the most prestigious role at PIMCO for undergrads. 

Source: close friend was an intern in said group

Do you think it would have been possible to switch from product to alt credit after summer if one did very well during the internship? Also, from your understanding, what did people exit to from product? Thanks

Is there any material you recommend I read up on to become familiar with PIMCO's investing strategy, area, etc...?

Also any idea on what to prepare for technically should a superday opportunity come by? Sounds very competitive and I dunno where to start.

Perspiciatis nulla necessitatibus in aperiam ea. Accusamus non voluptatem provident nam. Quos perspiciatis corporis praesentium aspernatur. Vitae sunt consequatur est ut ut. Eligendi quam saepe nobis eum nam.

Provident ex animi molestiae dolore est. Vitae quod iste labore non et minima recusandae. Aliquam in reiciendis minus eligendi quia consequuntur. Sunt quibusdam saepe praesentium nostrum.

Odio quibusdam iste adipisci consequatur totam similique et. Perferendis sequi cumque fugiat perspiciatis sit facilis. Voluptas nisi ab nisi sint. Magni sapiente ipsum beatae quam consequuntur. Alias omnis dolor eum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (199) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”