London/Europe Buyside 2022 Comp

There's robust forums on US comp. Europe total comp is less transparent so let's use this forum as a way to gauge personal vs market comp.

I'll start.

Yrs of experience: 3, years on buyside 2.

SM mrkt neutral <$1B, fund is up +3% net.

Base: £72k, bonus £40K

MM comp will be closer as formulas are almost the same in Europe and US, base might be a bit lower in Europe but it won't impact much TC

Why wages lower in Europe ? I am not sure,

But I think it is the case not only for finance but for all sectors.

When I read that IT dev get 200k$ in the US, it just seems crazy for Europe.

I have friends working for Deloitte/BCG/KPMG, I don't know their exact total comp but from our discussions it is around 150k, which would seem low for US guys

Yes some of the salaries I hear about outside of finance are also considerably higher in the US vs. UK. 

I suppose the lower cost of living in London vs. NY accounts for some of that, but the differences are pretty staggering regardless

Same figures. Pretty standard for junior role at a MMHF in London. 

PM base at pods depending on track and size anywhere from £225-350k. SMs slightly lower given different drawdowns. Bonus wide range, also depending on share of fees / equity ownership etc.

3 years experience on sell side and 1 year on the buy side at US long only.

Mediocre/bad year

Base: £120k

Bonus: £60k

The numbers from the posters above (excluding the multi managers) seem quite low to me. Especially when considering that most ER associates are now on bases above £100k. ER VP base is now £150k at the bulge brackets. Why would anyone leave the sell side for these numbers?

ER associates = the most junior role in the sellside

In London, they are definitely not paid that much.

Sorry for the confusion. Just to clarify I mean people internally ranked as “associate”. Although externally the Analyst/Associate ranks are flipped, internally at my old BB shop the hierarchy was still analyst/associate/VP/ED/MD. So by associate I mean those with 3-6 years experience.

I guess there are several reasons :

• getting a place at GS/MS/JP is not easy, especially in ER, it is probably easier to get a place at a HF with less than 1bn AuM. If u move down to tier 2 banks, not sure wages are that attractive
  • different missions/work and environment
  • bonus upside if your fund has a great year, whereas banks bonus is more stable but less upside, especially for non trading roles as ER

Agree some of the no.s seem low

My take is:

- Buyside comp can rise a lot after 5-7 yrs experience, if you are good. I think lots of people especially grads on the LO side join and tolerate being not paid that well for some years thinking it can get good over time.

- You will know as well as me but as you get more senior, buy-side role is an investor and sell-side is a salesman. A lot of people want to be investors and not sales people.

4yrs of buyside experience / Continental Europe

2019: Equity LO, AUM ~$1bn, $80k base + $20 bonus

2020: L/S Equity HF, $90k base + $30 bonus

2021: L/S Equity HF, $100k base + $30 bonus

2022: L/S Equity HF, $100k base + (bonus not yet communicated)

2020 switched job and fund had very good year, 2021 not great year, 2022 bad year. Same HF since 2020, small one.

4YOE. 1 yr sellside, 3rd year buyside. £150k base. All in £350k. Work at MM

100k is the starting base for fresh grads where?

8 years of experience, 5 on buyside.

£155k base. Bonus not officially communicated yet but it's a formula so I can work it out to a pretty tight range now. Expecting £280-330k. Some of that will get deferred. Mediocre year for the strategy I work on (we didn't lose money).

In one of the huge global AMs that does every kind of strategy. I work on an equity L/S strategy. At the moment I have a senior analyst / #2 to PM type role.

Last year (more junior role & title) was £120k + £150k - in a much better year for the team (high single digit % alpha).

Most Helpful

Sensing two elements to the question: "how do you know the number" and "why are you getting paid in a mediocre year". Will try and explain both.

1) It's a formula where I know what most of the inputs are now that 2022 is over. Not all of the inputs are purely last 12 months peformance - I don't work at a pure 'eat-what-you-kill' type shop. If I was I would've been paid a lot more in 2021 given the numbers we put up then.

2) Last 12 months were mediocre vs previous few years, but still slightly up. Most places I've looked at working you'd still get paid in years like that, obviously not as well as in good years. The comp numbers for 2022 are "average" - would be a lot lower if we lost significant amounts of money, could be a lot higher in a good year.

Just started my first role on the buy-side, at an Event Driven MM. 4 years experience prior to that. 

Base is £90k. Bonus will be discretionary - no idea of range at this stage. 

Not topic related but what has been your path to get into event-driven team ? IBD

Thx

Nice numbers. Care to give some insight into comp for As1 at your special sits fund? In the process of recruiting for a few SS funds and want something to benchmark against

Jesus, the amount people are underpaid in London is scary. 

There aren’t that many good funds in London so data will skew negative. 

designa888

YOE:4.5 (all on buy-side, joined out of undergrad).

Base: £130k, Bonus: £50k. (TC: £180k).

Very large LO AM. Pretty sweet gig with hours no longer than 50-60. I make about 75% of IB money with 75% of the hours.

Off topic, but do you know much about ninety one in London?

Can comment on the special sits team. Hired the top 2 guys from OakHil illiquid to start a new SSG team in London. Hired 4/5 juniors (EQT, HL, etc). Raised I think £750m (but could be up to £900m) so not really big. Would not expect top of the market comp at this stage but potentially good upside if it works out.

Posted somewhere else before but numbers have changed slightly.

YoE (since Grad / on Buyside): 2 / 1

Strategy: Quant Alternative

Total 2022 Comp (Base + Bonus): ~£310k (~95 + ~215)

Company has been doing v well second half of the year. Expected bonus given an average year was closer to ~105.

Expecting ~£250k all in next year given average year (currently 100k base, expecting 150k bonus split).

Any ideas about the comp I should expect as an analyst at Gladstone? 

Is the base salary at London SM far lower than in MM?

Thx

This is an excellent thread! Just realised I must have been massively underpaid?

10 yrs exp (joined $500bn+ AUM LO AM after 5y in IB)

Comp progression:

Yr6: £105k + 50k

Yr7: £105k + 50k

Yr8: £135k + 60k (changed job to c.$1tn AuM)

Yr9: £135k + 40k

Yr10: £150k + 102k (changed job to $700b AuM, smaller but US so pays better)

Yr 11: £150k + current year unknown but won't be great because of AuM outflow last year

Btw, ever since I moved to buyside, I was told every year by every single firm that I'm already paid above industry and peers (because joined from IBD, and got pay raise through lateral hire, etc.., but not sure how much this is true though because pay is so un-transparent for buyside), so base does not get increased... 

Can anyone please comment how much should I expect to get paid if moving to boutique LO (not interested in centralised model such as Capital/TRP/Fido)in the US?

Thanks a lot!

European comp on mid-/senior level is dogsht compared to US one.  I have a couple PM friends and both their absolute comp and progression is laughable.  Unless successful founder or good track at a MM the equities industry in Europe pays terribly.  Time that people make that clear to juniors and aspiring kids. 

I was told by headhunters PM in London may get £250-300k + bonus fund dependent. That’s still much higher than analysts, that’s why everyone wanted to become a PM.

may I ask what’s the laughter comp progression that you heard about and what’s equivalent of senior analyst pay in the US?

I read from WSO that post-MBA is about $300-400k and senior analyst 500k - 7 figure? Is that accurate?

How much do L/S at the big 4 MMs make? Some of these numbers are surprisingly very low. I'm at MF PE An1 and currently at 150k

London comp is trash unless you work at an MM or a US fund 

Can‘t comment on NY vs Ldn equities comp, but keep in mind that life in London is much cheaper than in NY, especially post COVID. Just take look at the rent cost difference in sought-after locations or what eating out costs. 

Jesus Christ. I'm an ASO at a US MF in London and will make ~£300k this year with 4 YOE. Is there any comp upside at all on the public side? Why would anyone make the switch given some of the numbers in this thread? Surely publics comp must be in line at the funds hiring out of the type of program I'm in, otherwise I can't see how they are able to attract talent. 

One argument is that lower pay is compensated by more intellectually stimulating work (you are doing proper investing, based on your own judgement) and better hours and lifestyle (40-50 hours of work per week, no formatting/last minute calls/admin stuff, can plan your weekends and long holidays, etc), so some people may still want to move from IB/PE to public side, but to be honest, I've almost never seen any PE people in LO firms I've been at, there are some IBDer, but very few single digit number.

Don’t believe the above. No one and I mean no one is taking a material pay cut moving from PE to HF because the work is more interesting. Better lifestyle maybe but not cause it’s more interesting. 

To answer the above comment - you work at a US MF: that’s why you get paid decent. Places like Elliott, TCI, Farallon or any of the big US funds will comp well (probably more than MF PE). Or go to Citadel and it’s not unheard of making 7figs with 5YOE. But we both know you’d never go to a shop like citadel cause you’re probably a PE / risk averse guy.

Bottom line is the big US funds rarely have seats open in London and when they do open up, they can hire whoever they want. They don’t need to attract talent from ppl like you on a regular basis. 

In the end, you’ll just end up staying in PE cause the places that pay well either don’t hire or is a multimanager and PE guys don’t  go there cause they don’t actually know anything about the HF game. 

Also - why do you think a MF PE assoc is considered talent or even something that HFs all value?  It’s not necessarily the case at all. Some shops like PE backgrounds but most don’t care.

Thanks for your comment, helpful context. It makes sense to me the funds with small investment teams most likely to look for the PE-type background (with the corresponding expectations on comp) will pay up. To your point, there's not a lot of seats, but on the flip side there's not as many PE seats in London as there are in NY either so while I'm sure competition is tough, there's just fewer seats in London in general. 

That being said, I think your comment is needlessly disparaging. I know plenty of people that went to multi-managers from MF PE (or other transaction-related backgrounds, e.g. IBD) and are killing it. I haven't worked at a hedge fund but at the end of the day, a smart individual with an investing mindset should be able to excel in any kind of environment. Let's not kid ourselves, finance is not rocket science. 5 years of sell-side equity research experience is not a prerequisite for being smarter than the next guy.

The path from MF PE to HF is well trodden with a lot of resources and knowledge passed down from folks that have gone the public side so I think it's a bit ignorant to assume PE guys don't know anything about publics and are just doing it because it's the next step on "the path". This forum likes to make it seem that way but believe it or not, most of us are thoughtful individuals that carefully weigh career moves in the context of the optionality this job has granted us. That includes talking to friends and mentors that work at HFs (multi + single manager, which to your point are more interested in the PE skillset), exploring the MBA route, thinking about staying on, or pulling the plug and doing something else. And yes, comp factors heavily into this decision, hence my post in this thread. 

Many of you have rather low salaries for your yoe. Do you at least have great wlb? 

Might as well stay in ib otherwise. Junior Associates get close to 100k (3rd year in) then by vp you're at c.180k base. Sure some of you have very nice bonus upside but many bonuses mentioned are closer to that of an ib analyst

Don't mean to be offensive - just wondering what I'm missing as I'm considering next steps post ib.. 

If you are in LO public equities, your working hour is c. 50 per week or some places less, so WLB is considerably better than IBD (i.e. 40% reduction in time), and your total comps is still about 70-80% of IBD. Overall a good deal despite headline number appearing low. More importantly, you have a life, that's incredibly valuable to some people. 

If you are in SM HF, your working hour may get slightly longer than LO or some really good places same, but your total comps will be better than IBD

Perspiciatis quis sit autem inventore voluptate consectetur iure modi. Placeat consectetur dolore sunt eum. Velit id ratione minus. Facilis vero ex voluptatem magni impedit et vitae. Quo fugiat libero in sint fugit aut. Eligendi voluptas ipsa aspernatur velit possimus eos eaque.

Assumenda expedita id sint eveniet sint corporis. Mollitia illo commodi cum itaque dolores tenetur. Dolor dolores et quibusdam qui eaque. Facilis molestiae blanditiis quasi commodi. Modi tempora veritatis nobis iure possimus.

Molestiae architecto voluptatum voluptatem quo officiis quo aut. Labore quisquam nostrum magni minus omnis itaque quia animi.

Aut repudiandae vel et rerum impedit. Nisi et excepturi vel quia reiciendis laborum. Magni cupiditate aut odio adipisci debitis eveniet tempora quis. Eligendi nam eligendi error natus.

Aut voluptatem veniam sed dolores aliquid. Ab et cupiditate impedit qui. Modi ducimus aut delectus et harum soluta qui.

Magnam eum dolores explicabo accusamus cum. Vel sint omnis est molestiae repellendus sint. Nihil optio est deserunt accusamus.

Dolorem error quia debitis. Et omnis magni nostrum quo cupiditate. Ut et quidem debitis quasi voluptas ipsa. Placeat minus ut est sint voluptatum similique consequatur.

Recusandae quidem qui perferendis reiciendis repellendus rerum iure. Optio vero omnis et repudiandae voluptatem.

Libero dolores officia ut quo fugit dolore. Officia quod illum ipsam impedit officia.

Est voluptatem voluptatem impedit explicabo. Voluptatem asperiores hic dolores qui vel. Similique modi laudantium ea veniam tempore dignissimos animi.

Veritatis molestias ea est exercitationem. Sed nesciunt repellendus in voluptas sint veniam quibusdam iste. Maiores temporibus dolorem similique error. Qui in laborum est dolores consequuntur rerum.

Officiis reprehenderit molestias est. Vero eius incidunt fuga et in. Minus quas omnis earum iure ducimus qui. Consequatur voluptas optio impedit nemo.

Et deleniti et molestias ut ut. Eos quo in harum quos molestias. Odit quaerat odit impedit omnis voluptatibus officiis dolores. Dolorem similique magni deserunt qui nisi.

Id debitis qui quam officiis eos exercitationem voluptatem. Sed ab est non nostrum. Qui eos ut reiciendis ratione porro et unde.

Itaque cumque et tempore eaque. Odio temporibus velit inventore quos. Assumenda repudiandae quia aliquam dolorem soluta ut. Itaque neque impedit sed delectus in illum. Ratione repudiandae repudiandae blanditiis vero labore qui.

Quod voluptas omnis aut architecto aut et incidunt. Ipsa laudantium cumque maiores iusto inventore voluptas. At necessitatibus corrupti nemo et qui. Alias nisi molestias et nemo accusamus eius qui. Et laborum aut rerum corrupti quibusdam officia itaque. Rem ducimus iure iure ratione aliquid. Qui voluptas nam explicabo accusantium odit adipisci.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”