Point72 vs Weiss SA 2025

I currently have an offer from Point72 and am in the final round for Weiss. Point72 explodes in a bit over a week, so I have to start thinking about this despite not having a Weiss offer quite yet. 

Does anyone have any insights on how these firms differ and their relative advantages and disadvantages? This is for SA 2025, and I'm hoping for a long career in publics, hopefully at a top SM HF in my coverage sector. I'm new to finance so I'm not entirely sure what to make of these two firms. 

Based on the most helpful WSO content, when comparing Point72 and Weiss for a Summer Analyst (SA) position, there are several factors to consider, especially if you're aiming for a long career in public markets at a top Single Manager Hedge Fund (SM HF) in your coverage sector. While I don't have specific details on Weiss from the context provided, I can offer insights on Point72 and general advice on how to approach this decision.

Point72: - Reputation and Learning Opportunities: Point72, being Steve Cohen's family office turned hedge fund, has a strong reputation in the industry. It's known for its rigorous training and development programs, notably the Point72 Academy, which is designed to train the next generation of top investors. This could be a significant advantage if you're new to finance, as the structured learning environment can provide a solid foundation in investment analysis and portfolio management. - Career Path and Mobility: Point72's size and prestige in the industry might offer more opportunities for internal mobility and exposure to different investment strategies and sectors. This could be beneficial for building a diverse skill set in the early stages of your career. - Culture and Work Environment: While highly competitive, Point72 is also known for its performance-driven culture. It's important to consider whether such an environment aligns with your personal and professional goals.

General Considerations: - Firm Size and Strategy Focus: Larger firms like Point72 might offer more resources and a broader range of experiences, but smaller firms can sometimes provide more hands-on experience and greater responsibility earlier in your career. Consider what size and type of firm align with your learning style and career goals. - Culture and Fit: The work environment, culture, and values of the firm are crucial. Try to get a sense of each firm's culture through your interview process and networking with current and former employees. - Long-Term Career Goals: Reflect on how each firm aligns with your long-term career aspirations. Consider the sectors and strategies each firm specializes in and how that matches your interests.

Given that you're still in the final round for Weiss and have a bit over a week before the Point72 offer expires, it might be worth communicating your situation to Weiss to see if they can expedite their decision-making process. This shows your interest in Weiss while also respecting the offer deadline from Point72.

Ultimately, both firms can provide valuable experiences that can set the foundation for a successful career in hedge funds. Your decision should weigh the immediate learning opportunities, the firm's alignment with your career goals, and where you feel you'll thrive the most.

Sources: SA Would you pick Point72 or Goldman Sachs?, Point72 Hirevue questions/Answers, Point72 Academy SA 2021, Point72 Academy SA 2023

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Thanks—I’m not interested in IB and solely in publics. I’m also only interested in biotech so for SM HFs there’s mainly a pipeline out of biotech ER over IB. I think I’d take p72 > IB in this case for a summer

In that case would defo recommend P72 - know a couple guys who’ve gone to solid looking biotech SMs after doing the summer (with STEM undergrad) and if you like the firm there are some great biotech pods there too (that’ve been around almost 10 years etc)

P72, succeeding in the academy jumps you into a serious risk-taking position with better prep than pretty much all other routes. If you like the pod you end up on then there are no more hoops to jump through, if you don’t then people leave for other funds including SMs all the time. Weiss seem like smart guys, no idea if returns are great/fine/bad, but the training and resources will be worse purely as a function of firm scale/investment in junior recruitment.

As a pod analyst I assure you the stigma only exists for a handful of funds, I know multiple people who left for other pods and for Tiger cubs.

He said economics, which with their fee structure, is closer to the truth

Are people already recruiting for summer 2025? Fuck, this moves up by a few months every year. How do they even judge your talent when most candidates don't even have a real freshman year internship?

You’re right it’s ridiculous and you pretty much have to prep freshman year in some ways. I’m not from a finance background so this process was definitely tough 

Yah take the P72 offer and run lol. Do not gamble away this opp for Weiss.

Most Helpful

Obviously doesn't matter unless you get the Weiss offer (which is probably harder than p72 given size of firm and self-selection of interview pool), but:

P72 pros are brand name, structured experience of academy, NYC, pure L/S if that's what you want. Weiss pros are significantly (maybe 50%+) higher pay at entry level, established firm culture (P72 will depend on pod), multi-strat (can see what you like). 

The median intern/analyst quality may be higher at places like Weiss/Bracebridge/Farallon/Abdiel etc at the undergrad level due to selectivity of the recruiting process, but I'd also think about what that means when it comes to competing for a return offer, which can be tough at some of those listed places. Think return offer rates at P72/CAP are generally much better. 

Was under the impression P72 contracts are for 125k base + 100% bonus on completing the Academy now - are you saying Weiss pays 400k at the entry level?

Agree w/ others on the obvious pros / cons: 

P72 will be a bigger brand vs Weiss will likely have higher comp | also NYC vs Boston is ofc different between them. Also you should consider the type of firm. P72 is a pod shop which is going to be very different from a firm like Weiss which is somewhat smaller and therefore much more collaborative (friend's review). 

P72 will probably give you a longer period of time in the academy to just learn in a classroom setting while at Weiss you are more likely to do more hands-on projects as a young analyst. 

In terms of ability to take risks I know that Weiss allows even relatively junior analysts to take ownership of investment ideas + theses which is less likely in a pod structure like P72 (even post-academy). Also you should look into how many analysts from P72 academy actually go on to become PMs at the firm because I have heard that the numbers are pretty low.

On the whole P72 is probably a more "well-beaten path" type of opportunity but from what I hear ppl at Weiss do seem to enjoy it there (senior management has an extremely long tenure at the firm).

Aliquam mollitia et molestiae ducimus. Ab modi quia aut libero eligendi eaque. Debitis aut veniam qui itaque eveniet modi porro et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”